COVID Vaccination Priorities at Safe Restart Site

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2021, 02:38 PM

My wife and I are both 74 years old, registered almost 2 weeks ago, and have heard nothing.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

So, those complaining about or worrying about possibly not getting their second dose, are worried that they wont' have but maybe 50% effectiveness? Do you all get the Flu vaccination? If so, it averages 40-60% effectiveness.

In MY opinion, if the most vulnerable are those that are over age 65 to the point that they are more likely to DIE from the virus, then they are the ones that should get it first. NOT supposed essential workers that are healthy enough to catch it and shrug it off in a few days. I know of at least 10 family members that have been covid infected and shrugged it off with moderate to no symptoms. All were under 65 and the youngest had the least suffering from the infection.
I want to know why anyone with any kind of common sense feels that medical conditions would be a priority, other than those hospitalized. How would they deem you to be sufficiently handicapped by medical conditions to put you on the list? By the time the put you in a category and placed you on a list, you would already fit the age requirement and no one else would be vaccinated. Use some common sense, putting an age limit criteria to start with was the BEST way to start a mass vaccination process. If they don't have the vaccine, they can't very well give you a shot, can they? So, quit whining like a bunch of adolescents and wait your turn. Everyone that wants a vaccination will get one and it will also be FREE, so be patient.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
So, those complaining about or worrying about possibly not getting their second dose, are worried that they wont' have but maybe 50% effectiveness? Do you all get the Flu vaccination? If so, it averages 40-60% effectiveness.

In MY opinion, if the most vulnerable are those that are over age 65 to the point that they are more likely to DIE from the virus, then they are the ones that should get it first. NOT supposed essential workers that are healthy enough to catch it and shrug it off in a few days. I know of at least 10 family members that have been covid infected and shrugged it off with moderate to no symptoms. All were under 65 and the youngest had the least suffering from the infection.
I want to know why anyone with any kind of common sense feels that medical conditions would be a priority, other than those hospitalized. How would they deem you to be sufficiently handicapped by medical conditions to put you on the list? By the time the put you in a category and placed you on a list, you would already fit the age requirement and no one else would be vaccinated. Use some common sense, putting an age limit criteria to start with was the BEST way to start a mass vaccination process. If they don't have the vaccine, they can't very well give you a shot, can they? So, quit whining like a bunch of adolescents and wait your turn. Everyone that wants a vaccination will get one and it will also be FREE, so be patient.
Would like to cover three points very quickly:
1. Covid is about 100 times more deadly than the flu for those over 65. A vaccine with about the same effectiveness as the flu vaccine is better than nothing but just barely when the disease is so much more deadly.

2. Medical conditions other than those hospitalized would be a priority because having those conditions makes someone much more likely to die from COVID, possibly even more likely to die than a healthy 75 year old.

3. The health conditions that make someone more at risk for dying from COVID do not necessarily put them into a hospital and do affect people under the age of 65.

Much of the criteria established by the CDC make sense, both the age factor and the concern over risk factors.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-19-2021, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Except the Flu didn't kill 400,000 people in a year except in 1918 (assuming that was just "the Flu"). So yes, 50% efficacy for the flu shot I can live with (no pun intended) but 50% efficacy with Covid vaccine is more likely to kill me than the flu. My 2nd shot has been already scheduled for Feb 3rd. Hoping they have the "stuff" to do it. I guess all those that said a few months ago when "only" 40,000 or 50,000 died that this is no worse than the flu seemed to have changed channels.
Closed Thread

Tags
group, covid, priority, safe, older

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.