COVID Vaccination Priorities at Safe Restart Site

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2021, 11:23 AM
Default COVID Vaccination Priorities at Safe Restart Site

I recently read several posted comments about suspected anomalies in the scheduling priorities for the Safe Restart Site COVID vaccination site on CR-466 for 65 and older people; to some, they appear to have a scheduling priority that is different from giving the first-registered priority.

For the last 300 days, I have been analyzing the published COVID data from the state of Florida; I hope that Safe Restart is given a higher priority to the older people in the group of 65 and older.

The following information is based on the data for the state of Florida over the 61-day period of Oct 28 to Dec 27 Over that period, there were 4,661 new COVID deaths and 473,861 new cases reported for all age groups; the ratio of deaths to cases (D/C) is 0.98%. However, for the 65 and older group the D/C ratio is 5.4%; for the group under 65, the ratio is 0.18%. This implies that, if you are in the 65+ group and test positive, you are 29 times more likely to die than if you were in the group under 65. These numbers should make obvious why DeSantis gave priority to the 65+ group.

Now let us look at the age subgroups in the 65-and-over group. The D/C ratio for the 65-74 years group is 2.3%; 75-84 years, 6.8%; 85+ years, 15.8%. The data implies that, if you are in the group of 85+ that tests positive for COVID, there is a 15.8% chance that you will die; whereas, if you in the group of 65-74 years old there is only a 2.33% chance that you will die. In other words, if you in the 85+ group you are 6.8 times more likely to die if you have COVID than the 65-74 group.

I do not know how Safe Restart is prioritizing the appointments; however, it should be obvious that they should be giving oldest people in the 65 and over group priority. Safe Restart’s registration form did not request any preexisting medical condition, like COPD; but, we know that those people should have priority for receiving the vaccine.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john352 View Post
I recently read several posted comments about suspected anomalies in the scheduling priorities for the Safe Restart Site COVID vaccination site on CR-466 for 65 and older people; to some, they appear to have a scheduling priority that is different from giving the first-registered priority.

For the last 300 days, I have been analyzing the published COVID data from the state of Florida; I hope that Safe Restart is given a higher priority to the older people in the group of 65 and older.

The following information is based on the data for the state of Florida over the 61-day period of Oct 28 to Dec 27 Over that period, there were 4,661 new COVID deaths and 473,861 new cases reported for all age groups; the ratio of deaths to cases (D/C) is 0.98%. However, for the 65 and older group the D/C ratio is 5.4%; for the group under 65, the ratio is 0.18%. This implies that, if you are in the 65+ group and test positive, you are 29 times more likely to die than if you were in the group under 65. These numbers should make obvious why DeSantis gave priority to the 65+ group.

Now let us look at the age subgroups in the 65-and-over group. The D/C ratio for the 65-74 years group is 2.3%; 75-84 years, 6.8%; 85+ years, 15.8%. The data implies that, if you are in the group of 85+ that tests positive for COVID, there is a 15.8% chance that you will die; whereas, if you in the group of 65-74 years old there is only a 2.33% chance that you will die. In other words, if you in the 85+ group you are 6.8 times more likely to die if you have COVID than the 65-74 group.

I do not know how Safe Restart is prioritizing the appointments; however, it should be obvious that they should be giving oldest people in the 65 and over group priority. Safe Restart’s registration form did not request any preexisting medical condition, like COPD; but, we know that those people should have priority for receiving the vaccine.
The vaccine priority process has already been established by the Governor for Florida. The website you referred to is managed by Sumter County. The county has no right to deviate from the priority set by the Governor or to establish a different priority process. They should follow the Governor's instructions. But, it appears that the county computer system has a glitch that allowed people who registered on Tuesday to get appointments before those who registered on Monday. Hopefully, this was just a computer error that they will correct. To me, the only justifiable way to schedule the appointments is on a first registered first served basis, unless the people do not qualify under the Governor's order.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I know people under 65 who tried to sign up at Safe Restart and were rejected with a message saying they couldn't sign up for an appointment.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
I know people under 65 who tried to sign up at Safe Restart and were rejected with a message saying they couldn't sign up for an appointment.
That is the way it should be. The Florida priority for the first group is:

- healthcare personnel with direct patient contact
- residents and staff in longterm healthcare facilities
- adults aged 65 years of age and older

I don't think anyone other than the Governor has the right set a different priority. As far as I know, there is no special provision for people with a pre-existing medical condition.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That is the way it should be. The Florida priority for the first group is:

- healthcare personnel with direct patient contact
- residents and staff in longterm healthcare facilities
- adults aged 65 years of age and older

I don't think anyone other than the Governor has the right set a different priority. As far as I know, there is no special provision for people with a pre-existing medical condition.
Right at the top of the Florida Covid-19 Response page:
- Long-term care facility residents and staff
- Persons 65 years of age and older
- Health care personnel with direct patient contact
- Persons deemed to be extremely vulnerable to COVID-19 by hospital providers

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-16-2021, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Right at the top of the Florida Covid-19 Response page:
- Long-term care facility residents and staff
- Persons 65 years of age and older
- Health care personnel with direct patient contact
- Persons deemed to be extremely vulnerable to COVID-19 by hospital providers
But, wouldn't that mean that you would need to be in a hospital and being evaluated by a hospital provider? I don't see how a websibe could determine if someone meets the criteria. The Publix Covid website only lists the first three criteria.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
But, wouldn't that mean that you would need to be in a hospital and being evaluated by a hospital provider? I don't see how a websibe could determine if someone meets the criteria. The Publix Covid website only lists the first three criteria.
Right, both the CDC and Florida limit the use of medical conditions to prioritize COVID vaccinations.

From the State of Florida Covid site:

COVID-19 Vaccines in Florida | Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Outbreak

"Eligible Persons as of 12/23/20
Health care personnel with direct patient contact
Long-term care facility residents and staff
Persons 65 years of age and older
Persons deemed extremely vulnerable to COVID-19 by hospital providers"

This Florida executive order is clear about this:

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/upl.../EO_20-315.pdf

It says:

"Hospital providers, however, also may vaccinate persons who they deem to be extremely vulnerable to COVID-19."

Florida's recommendations differ from the CDC's recommendations in that all the CDC recommendations lump all people over 65 together regardless of medical condition.

When Vaccine is Limited, Who Should Get Vaccinated First? | CDC

So Florida is a little more flexible in considering medical conditions for those over 65 than the CDC is.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
My husband who is not yet 65 was with me in the car when I was vaccinated. He was not allowed to be vaccinated because he did not meet the age criteria.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:13 AM

I registered last Tuesday and my husband has COPD. But, they don't ask you any questions about your health like the sites in Orlando. Still waiting, unfortunately.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:55 AM

It would appear registration is allowed only for the age bracket 65 and older. Since vaccination has been suspended at Sumter except for those with scheduled appts, it's all moot. Hope more doses arrive soon.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:42 AM

As far as I have read the governor ignored CDC recommendations for who gets it first? Since he changes things around often not sure what is going on. No does not matter since there is none to be had. Sad sad state of affairs.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Perhaps managing by birth date would seem to be the only common basis....all other pre existing conditions would be nigh onto impossible to categorize/apply.

Last edited by billethkid; 01-17-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Not sure how they exactly are prioritizing but I think it is NOT by age but by when you registered. I am over 65 but not yet near 70 and I received my immunization Thursday after registering on Monday.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Perhaps managing by birth date would seem to be the only common basis....all other pre existing conditions would be nigh onto impossible to categorize/apply.
I don’t remember if they asked if you have underlying conditions on initial registration, only allergies
Old 01-17-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
My husband who is not yet 65 was with me in the car when I was vaccinated. He was not allowed to be vaccinated because he did not meet the age criteria.
But did he register or did you just try to game the system?

Last edited by yankygrl; 01-17-2021 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Closed Thread

Tags
group, covid, priority, safe, older

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.