Coyotes?

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default Coyotes?

We have had several sightings of coyotes in our village, both adult and young.

The only way to get rid of the "nest" is to call a trapper.

My question is having a dog that we take out to do her business in the evenings.

While research states not to run away and make noise to scare them or it away......what if they approach or attack?

Last edited by billethkid; 10-16-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Platinum member

Shoot to kill.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
Shoot to kill.

Yeah, just what we need around here...shooting at animals.

Here are some better ideas.

Urban Coyotes - Keeping Your Pets Safe

Quote:
What To Do If You and Your Dog Are Followed By a Coyote

- Do NOT turn your back to the coyote — do NOT run. (Coyotes can run up to 40 mph over short distances… you won’t outrun them.)

- Put your dog on a leash, if they aren’t already. Do NOT turn your dog loose to go after the coyote.

- Unzip your jacket and hold it wide open or raise your hands above your head and wave them, making yourself appear larger and scarier to the coyote.

- Run towards them and make noise to scare or shoo them away — yell “Go Away Coyote,” shake your keys, clap, etc.

- Throw rocks, branches, or anything else at your disposal toward the coyote to scare them away. Aim for their feet and generally around them, not necessarily directly at them.

- If you live in an area where you know coyotes frequent, you can carry a whistle or fill a soda can with some coins or nuts & bolts. Wrap the entire thing in duct tape and then shake it to use as a noise-maker in the event you encounter a coyote. You can also get mini airhorns that you can carry with you on your walks.

- Consider doing your walks and hikes with a can of pepper spray or a water pistol with vinegar-water in it. You can use either to stop a coyote that gets too close.

- Note: With all noise-making attempts…. filled cans, whistles, airhorns, etc… take care to have your own dog(s) under good leash control so as not to also startle them and have them run off (or after the coyote).
Old 10-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Eternal Member

As I have posted before, most Villagers who carry their handguns while walking their dog or going to Dunkin' Donuts have not fired in a stressful situation in over 40 years. Going to the firing range and shooting at a wild animal that may be running to confront your dog in darkness are two completely opposite situations.

You may very well shoot your dog, maybe the coyote, possibly a house, or even your leg. In addition, it probably is illegal to fire a gun in The Villages but the safety issues are more pressing than semantics of legality.

Let the coyotes be. The odds of your dog being attacked while on a short leash are minuscule. I have also previously said if I see a wild animal trap, I will spring it.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Consider doing your walks and hikes with a can of pepper spray or a water pistol with vinegar-water in it. You can use either to stop a coyote that gets too close.
That's close enough for a double tap with a 40 S&W, Or even a 22LR hollow point...
Old 10-16-2017, 04:47 PM

I would just like to point out that coyotes eat rabbits and RATS. Your dog is supposed to be on a leash at all times anyway. A wild animal will not usually bother you, if you don't bother them. Make lots of noise, and it will go the other way.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Default Coyotes

Well, 10 minutes ago, a coyote past 5 feet from my patio slab. Walking it’s way towards St Andrews and E Schwartz. Not freaked out by it’s presence but respectful. I keep my 2 mutts close and always under supervision.
I appreciate all the level headed responses to this post. Keep your guns holstered, cowboys. We need to be wiser and understand how valuable our wildlife is to our area.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island57 View Post
Well, 10 minutes ago, a coyote past 5 feet from my patio slab. Walking it’s way towards St Andrews and E Schwartz. Not freaked out by it’s presence but respectful. I keep my 2 mutts close and always under supervision.
I appreciate all the level headed responses to this post.

Keep your guns holstered, cowboys.

We need to be wiser and understand how valuable our wildlife is to our area.
You made me spit my iced tea out.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

I carry a five iron at night and a bright flashlight when out with the dog at night. And use a short leash.

Scream at the coyote if it comes close, throw golf balls from pockets, or use the five iron while keeping control of your dog.

If you car is near by and its remote control has a panic button, push it.

Jon Snow-- a sweet chihuahua/miniature pinscher-- got taken by a coyote when let out to pee at about 4 AM near the villages just south of Lake Miona. This was a few months ago.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

I have lived around coyotes most of my life (still do in NM and CA). Friends of mine lost several of their cats which liked to roam free to coyotes. Best to stay with your (leashed) dog when it is out. Coyotes are very smart wild animals. They are stealthy, quick to react, can move fast and I can verify are very difficult to hit with a scoped .243 rifle out on a ranch in broad daylight! Please, do not try to shoot one in an urban environment with a handgun! Use pepper spray or the like.

If you know of a nearby coyote den, find a trapper to take care of it.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-16-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I have lived around coyotes most of my life (still do in NM and CA). Friends of mine lost several of their cats which liked to roam free to coyotes. Best to stay with your (leashed) dog when it is out. Coyotes are very smart wild animals. They are stealthy, quick to react, can move fast and I can verify are very difficult to hit with a scoped .243 rifle out on a ranch in broad daylight! Please, do not try to shoot one in an urban environment with a handgun! Use pepper spray or the like.

If you know of a nearby coyote den, find a trapper to take care of it.
Rumor is there is a pack around Lake Miona but I do not know where.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Eternal Member

Hiring a trapper would certainly be against rules of The Villages. All the properties are PRIVATE. Yes, even the golf courses, wooded areas, marsh land, and pond areas are PRIVATE and trapping is not allowed - without the owner's permission.

As stated before, I would spring any trap I would see.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

As stated before, I would spring any trap I would see.
Even if it was on private property?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Predators increase when prey increases. There has been a lot of talk about the teeming rat and squirrel population here. Keep your dogs on a leash and cats enclosed. Coyotes aren't going away; they are very adaptive. Other parts of the country have gone through this and found out that a few basic rules mitigate any downside.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Even if it was on private property?
Depends on the situation, location, and other factors.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, coyote, protect, coyotes, reported

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.