Coyotes in Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Default Coyotes in Villages

A couple days ago, I was driving south on BV about 1/4 from CR 42 when I coyote ran across the road. I slowed down to watch as he ran west across the fairway towards the horse farms and woods off 42. I lived in Michigan ( on a farm in a rural area) and have seen coyotes a few times up there but was startled to see one here. It appeared to be an adult, mottled grey in color and was running full out - never broke stride. Some people in a golf cart also stopped to watch.
I googled "coyotes in Central Fl" and learned that they have been becoming a problem here for farmers, etc. A photographer posted pics of ones in Lake County and they have become a pest around the Tampa area. Could this be why the feral cats from the nearby horse farms have not been seen lately? Usually tcoyotes are most active at dusk or night but this was about 2pm. Has anyone else seen one in TV?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum member
Default Feral cats in general

I wouldn't mind having coyotes cull some of those feral cat packs.... my 86 year old Stepdad in Palm Harbor had a bite taken out of his calf muscle in a preserve parking lot by one of those wild grammimals.
It was hiding under his car and attacked his leg as he got in the car to leave. NOT a fun afternoon, poor guy!
But, I think a coyote would have to be pretty hungry to consider taking on a pack.... bunnies and mices have to be a tad less ornery!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Sage

In CA we'd often see coyotes during the day. One particular afternoon, a coyote was walking down our street, in the middle. A car approached the animal and it stopped and would not move. The lady finally backed up and headed off in the direction she came from, taking a different route to her destination.

They do enjoy cat meals, a few of our neighbors lost their kitties to coyotes. A friend also lost his small dog....the coyote jumped the fence, grabbed the pup and then headed out. Maybe that is indeed the reason there seem to be fewer feral cats.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Coyotes also reside in the urban twin cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul! Have relatives that have heard them in wooded areas.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM

Coyotes are quite adaptable and easily become comfortable in urban areas where they have access to food and shelter. Just a couple of nights ago when we had all that lightening I heard a coyote pup barking in a wooded area behind my home. My guess is that he was frightened. So, do we have them in TV? I'd be very surprised if we don't.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Default coyotes

we do have them in TV , one killed my neighbors dog at Pelican golf course.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Exclamation

I just returned from taking my dog for his annual exam at Mulberry Vet. clinic. I asked the vet about them and she said that her partner jogs in the Village of Calumet and has seen them. This is where I saw the coyote a couple of days ago.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog friendly View Post
we do have them in TV , one killed my neighbors dog at Pelican golf course.
what was the dog doing running without a leash ?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Smile

I heard there might be a few "Cougars" in The Villages but was not aware of coyotes. Learn something new everyday...
Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Dancing Thyme

I saw a coyote running the other night on Buena Vista around 1am. I think it was somewhere near the Polo fields, but I'm not 100% sure. He was startled by my car, but just kept on running into the bush. Looked like a skinny-medium-sized dog. A friend lives in Lady Lake in a rural area and has been losing her chickens to coyote's for the last few weeks.

PS, JackZ,,,, you're baaadddd!!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I saw a coyote during the day at BV and Rainey Trail on the golf course. I have a friend up north who lives on a golf course and hears them at night. He says that it is a combination of yipping, howling, and crying.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackz View Post
I heard there might be a few "Cougars" in The Villages but was not aware of coyotes. Learn something new everyday...
The way I heard it there are quite a few Cougars in TV

I did see a coyote walking down the fairway behind my house one arly morning

AAlso had a wild boar tear up my yard two years in a row

Ilived just southwest of Minneapolis and coyotes roamed the area.

Now I live in Florida and see alligators ever day.

The end
Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Sage

There have been many sightings of coyotes and racoons around TV, and some residents have seen panthers. The Developers have taken away their natural habitat. I know that it's inevitable progress, and wild animals can be dangerous to small animals and children. But I feel sorry for them.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Gold member
Default Coyote

Saw one on the country road between Buttonwood Run and "outside" TV's.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Gold member

I occasionally hunt coyotes in Upstate NY. Let me assure you, no "pack" of feral cats could stop a coyote from decimating the pack's population, even if there were 100 cats in the pack. It would be like the meanest dog you've ever seen going after the cats. No contest, no mercy. Coyotes are an efficient predator. There is little danger to humans or to most dogs, but if I was out walking a ten pound dog at dusk near uninhabited areas where coyotes are known to live, I'd want to be carrying a weapon or a baseball bat. Your dog could be in danger.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.