CR 466A Widening in Wildwood

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default CR 466A Widening in Wildwood

Anyone know status of CR 466 A road widening in Wildwood. Perhaps answered somewhere but cannot find anything. Seems like project is stalled.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Veteran member

466A to 301
Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Veteran member

Project was started in August 2012 and still going on at government pace. Lots of bumbling, excuses, procrastination, and at least a $200,000 cost overrun. Expected finish, maybe, possibly, perhaps this Spring or maybe early Summer. Project was 1.8 miles and will take at least 1,000 days to complete. How many feet per day, while The Villages (privately owned) builds 3 or 4 whole villages, miles of streets and infrastructure, and multiple recreation facilities.
I can't believe that the poor local merchants haven't squawked to their local politicos for some action and accountability, or maybe that's just how business is run in Wildwood and at the FL DOT.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

When we moved in (mid October 2013), the detours had just been erected, our moving van was delayed.... At the time it was advertised to be completed in 1 year, Oh well, I guess we will need to find out what calendar they are using.
I hope the other end does not follow suit.........
Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I thought I read that the work stopped because residents were disputing the right of way and lawyers are now involved....or maybe I dreamed that.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Ah yes lawyers.... need I say more.....
Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Project was started in August 2012 and still going on at government pace. Lots of bumbling, excuses, procrastination, and at least a $200,000 cost overrun. Expected finish, maybe, possibly, perhaps this Spring or maybe early Summer. Project was 1.8 miles and will take at least 1,000 days to complete. How many feet per day, while The Villages (privately owned) builds 3 or 4 whole villages, miles of streets and infrastructure, and multiple recreation facilities.
I can't believe that the poor local merchants haven't squawked to their local politicos for some action and accountability, or maybe that's just how business is run in Wildwood and at the FL DOT.
One of the ladies who works at the post office in Wildwood (and lives right off 466A) said that the construction has halted because there are a number of law suits against the construction company by residents who have significant property damage. Whether this is true or not I couldn't say, but a worker at the Widwood Ace Hardware said the same thing.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Other than being part of the infrastructure here in TV, our streets are as public as 466A -- no more -- no less, so you would think there wouldn't be any hold up with the construction. The only possible reason for the hold up is as previously mentioned, i.e., that there's a legal problem somewhere.

I think Rome was even built at a faster pace than that road construction!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Equating the construction of roads on virgin land to that of widening a road is apples and oranges.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

According to an article Monday in the Orlando Sentinel the "big problem" was that a few water lines had to unexpectedly be replaced. Come on, 2 1/2 years to repave and replace 1.8 miles of road in construction weather that is ideal almost 300 days a year! Apparently no one had to post performance and time deadline bonds to be awarded the contract. And where is the contractors' liability insurance policy? Normally the insurance company is sued and construction continues.
To me the whole project stinks, and that's a concern because $37 million of taxpayers' money was spent and who knows how many small businesses were hurt by 2 1/2 years of bumbling. Who knows how low the price would have been if it had been properly bid an managed.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Equating the construction of roads on virgin land to that of widening a road is apples and oranges.
Very true. But the widening of 466 from the Sumter County line into Lady Lake took far less than this short section of 466A into Wildwood.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
According to an article Monday in the Orlando Sentinel the "big problem" was that a few water lines had to unexpectedly be replaced. Come on, 2 1/2 years to repave and replace 1.8 miles of road in construction weather that is ideal almost 300 days a year! Apparently no one had to post performance and time deadline bonds to be awarded the contract. And where is the contractors' liability insurance policy? Normally the insurance company is sued and construction continues.
To me the whole project stinks, and that's a concern because $37 million of taxpayers' money was spent and who knows how many small businesses were hurt by 2 1/2 years of bumbling. Who knows how low the price would have been if it had been properly bid an managed.
You can't compare the construction practices of Florida vs Northern States.
I worked on projects where 10 miles of 4 lane highway was constructed in less than six months! This took place in wetlands and granite beds (where it had to be exploded then excavated. All this within the construction
season.
If it was not completed by October the bituminous plants would shut down
Old 01-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

On a construction project such as this, they tackle the utilities first----not last. Obviously, somebody screwed up this project.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
On a construction project such as this, they tackle the utilities first----not last. Obviously, somebody screwed up this project.
Again in other parts of the country , the utilities (natural gas, electric, catv , phone) would receive plans of the project. This would allow the utilities to evaluate conflicts or future growth needs. If the utilities could not reroute they would install conduits in place .
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.