Cracks/chips along driveway expansion joint

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

I agree that the Villages Warranty Dept. Is very responsive.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

My mistake - garbage disposal is working. I was instructed in the contractors forum how to use an allen wrench.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
My mistake - garbage disposal is working. I was instructed in the contractors forum how to use an allen wrench.
All new disposals come with that wrench. The plumber should have left it under the sink.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Since we have had our share of problems some of which resulted in additional charges relating to the water leakage after the meter as well as higher electricity costs due to a faulty heat pump, I’ve decided to write a letter to warranty detailing all of the this outside of the routine types of repairs (paint touch-ups, additional caulking, etc.). I’m not sure what, if anything, this will accomplish but it will make me feel a bit better.
Might not want to mention the DISPOSAL thing!
Old 10-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Might not want to mention the DISPOSAL thing!
I already took it out.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:07 PM

T&D concrete fixed my cracks and chips. Good job.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilorilori View Post
T&D concrete fixed my cracks and chips. Good job.
I’m going to give them a call. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
T&D Concrete can fix those easily by chipping out the concrete and patching it. Probably take about 30 minutes. If it is not covered by the warranty, I would just pay for it. I wouldn't try doing it myself because the concrete patch material sold at Home Depot will not be a good color match.
The bad thing is, Patching looks like patching when you get done. You can always tell you patched, but it's not fool proof that it won't crack anymore.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
T&D Concrete can fix those easily by chipping out the concrete and patching it. Probably take about 30 minutes. If it is not covered by the warranty, I would just pay for it. I wouldn't try doing it myself because the concrete patch material sold at Home Depot will not be a good color match.
I would guess poor concrete quality or mix, a patch job will show forever, seal the cracks to prevent water entering good luck
Old 10-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Called warranty office. No luck fixing after the first 12 months of ownership. Called T&D. They were already at another house in Phillips Villas. They patched up the spots free of charge.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Could be the disposal is frozen u can break it loose turning the hex bolt underneath the disposal and pushing the reset button
Old 10-29-2018, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There is no way that I personally would ever accept a patch job on a concrete sidewalk or driveway or patio after spending a bundle on a new house. NEVER, EVER,

NEVER. There was a deficiency in either the Concrete the time it took to finish the concrete or the preparation or the curing of the Concrete.

A patch is a hatchet job that is cheap for them and screws the homeowner. PERIOD!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There is no way that I personally would ever accept a patch job on a concrete sidewalk or driveway or patio after spending a bundle on a new house. NEVER, EVER,

NEVER. There was a deficiency in either the Concrete the time it took to finish the concrete or the preparation or the curing of the Concrete.

A patch is a hatchet job that is cheap for them and screws the homeowner. PERIOD!
First of all, the house is not new, it is out of warranty. And secondly, the one year warranty for exterior concrete slabs only covers cracks that exceed one quarter inch in width or depth. The remedy for these cracks is to repair the area, and the warranty specifically states that the repaired area may not match the existing area in color and texture. This is all clearly stated on page 14 of the warranty agreement.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 10-29-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
First of all, the house is not new, it is out of warranty. And secondly, the one year warranty for exterior concrete slabs only covers cracks that exceed one quarter inch in width or depth. The remedy for these cracks is to repair the area, and the warranty specifically states that the repaired area may not match the existing area in color and texture. This is all clearly stated on page 14 of the warranty agreement.
Accept that information if you wish. The Villages and the Concrete Supplier and the Concrete Company who place the material would not hold to the letter of the law so to speak I would think as they would not want an unhappy customer. Especially one who has had other problems with the home.

To your knowledge has The Village ever remedied a problem after the warranty period? I believe they have and I believe they would in this case. Time will tell but thanks for the specifics of the contract. It was an interesting short story.

Knowing what I know I respectfully would crumble up that part of the warranty paperwork and throw it in the new load of Concrete that they would place in my driveway. Out of the three people involved in making this correct, it is NOTHING to them, they could even split it three ways. I wonder if the fact that another house in the neighborhood needed repair means anything. I would think so. That's probably not in the contract though????
Old 10-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Accept that information if you wish. The Villages and the Concrete Supplier and the Concrete Company who place the material would not hold to the letter of the law so to speak I would think as they would not want an unhappy customer. Especially one who has had other problems with the home.

To your knowledge has The Village ever remedied a problem after the warranty period? I believe they have and I believe they would in this case. Time will tell but thanks for the specifics of the contract. It was an interesting short story.

Knowing what I know I respectfully would crumble up that part of the warranty paperwork and throw it in the new load of Concrete that they would place in my driveway. Out of the three people involved in making this correct, it is NOTHING to them, they could even split it three ways. I wonder if the fact that another house in the neighborhood needed repair means anything. I would think so. That's probably not in the contract though????
If the OP takes this advice, I wish him luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
noticed, car, joint, expansion, driveway

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.