Cracks on home....

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2021, 04:14 PM
Default Cracks on home....

I had read recently about different types of "cracks" on a block/stucco home, and stupid me - didn't mark the thread.

Asymmetric cracks (I think) meant minor settling issues.

"Stair step" cracks (I think) meant something more serious.

If someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
Old 05-04-2021, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Yes, you have that correct. The previous thread indicated a stairstep crack usually indicated a possible foundation problem. If you are looking for a very good house inspector, call Frank DeAngelo .
Old 05-04-2021, 05:14 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

First question should be "how old is the home?"
Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 PM

When I come down to TV and start looking at houses, that's one of the first questions ... as well as the roof and AC age...
Old 05-04-2021, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
When I come down to TV and start looking at houses, that's one of the first questions ... as well as the roof and AC age...
Good point, there is usually a structural warranty for 10 years.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:15 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
One thing to keep in mind when considering the roof, AC, water heater, etc. age is that many people here replace all of these BEFORE they put their home on the market (we had relatives who just did this, and indeed got "top dollar" for the home), but remember, others sell the very same model with the same square footage (and most homes on the market here will have been kept up and have nice/tasteful interiors, but they do not replace all the above mentioned before putting the home on the market and then pricing accordingly. If you go through a home you really like, but has 18 year old roof (but no leaks, etc.), an 18 year old AC and furnace, and a 12 year old WH, etc. just make a mental check list like: roof 12K, AC 5K, WH $400, (depending on your tastes, brands, sizes needed) and THEN check against the selling price. It could pay you to find a house you like and if these majors are soon to need replacement, you might come out ahead to buy that one due to the property tax based on selling price, and then replace those items when they actually wear out ! ? Do the homework as they say !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 05-07-2021 at 04:16 PM. Reason: sp error
Old 05-08-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
One thing to keep in mind when considering the roof, AC, water heater, etc. age is that many people here replace all of these BEFORE they put their home on the market (we had relatives who just did this, and indeed got "top dollar" for the home), but remember, others sell the very same model with the same square footage (and most homes on the market here will have been kept up and have nice/tasteful interiors, but they do not replace all the above mentioned before putting the home on the market and then pricing accordingly. If you go through a home you really like, but has 18 year old roof (but no leaks, etc.), an 18 year old AC and furnace, and a 12 year old WH, etc. just make a mental check list like: roof 12K, AC 5K, WH $400, (depending on your tastes, brands, sizes needed) and THEN check against the selling price. It could pay you to find a house you like and if these majors are soon to need replacement, you might come out ahead to buy that one due to the property tax based on selling price, and then replace those items when they actually wear out ! ? Do the homework as they say !
Thanks for that insight! I was thinking along the same lines as well and I'd hope that the sellers are pricing correctly (or are willing to be flexible based on the age of items)
Closed Thread

Tags
cracks, meant, home, recently, step

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.