Crazy or Death Wish

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Wow, you survived a lightning strike. Good for you! Too bad there wasn't a horn to get you off the course. Do you have any residual effects from the strike?

From the Diaabled World website:

People who have experienced a lightning strike may also experience longer term issues. The majority of those who have survived a lightning strike experience only some of the symptoms below:

Headaches

Distractibility

Ringing in the ears

Slower reaction time

Issues with multitasking

Difficulties with sleeping

Dizziness or balance issues

Chronic pain from nerve injury

Inattentiveness or forgetfulness

Irritability and personality change

Issues with coding new information/accessing old information

Hopefully, you don't have many, if any, of the after effects. But it's a good reminder to get off a course during lightning for everybody. Thanks for sharing.

The Villages Florida

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Dam, I never got struck by lightning but occasionally have issues with some of the things on the list. I think growing old also causes some of the same effects?
Old 08-24-2019, 06:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

It does happen. Six injured after lightning strike at PGA TOUR Championship | Fox News

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I saw that on the news tonight. Scary. Acts of God are kind of hard to sue anyone for harm experienced especially if you have been warned many times to stay away from where lightning might strike.

On the issue of the Villages' developers' liability their insurance companies usually have very good attorneys who have a lot of connections to judges and the like. So there is also that. They often come from the same Ivy League law schools or one of the other top tier 14.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-25-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:39 AM

Every one of those symptoms is also just a sign of aging.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Dam, I never got struck by lightning but occasionally have issues with some of the things on the list. I think growing old also causes some of the same effects?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

300 years ago a lot of fools were killed off by wild animals, outlaws, roving bands of angry Indians or standing out in the open during a storm and struck by lightning. Modern society has greatly reduced death by animals, outlaws and roving bands of angry Indians so now we have a larger percentage of fools. Consequently we only have lightning left to help cleanse the gene pool. If an adult needs someone to tell them to get off the golf course during a storm they have only their foolish self to blame if struck by lightning.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs down

As in a lot of things, some people can't seem to fathom that mitigation efforts to the problem...is far from a simplistic one.

Obviously, dealing with lightning as an individual or small group on the course (or even just being outside)...is much less complicated.

And just as obvious, during a tournament the player's/official's/tourney workers/Etc. have enough inside areas they can go to that are safe...but there certainly aren't enough safe locations to handle the rest of the tens of thousands of spectators left to their own devices.

Given that huge number of spectators, with a dearth of safe inside places out of the weather that are easily/quickly accessible, or even an easy/efficient method to quickly get back to their vehicles...says that the problem isn't nearly as simple as some people would try to convince the more gullible.

I'm not sure what the ultimate answer(s) might be, but I personally believe it's past time for the PGA Tour/USGA/Other...to start discussing some.

Maybe large covered shelters, (whether temporary or permanent)...scattered around the course might be an option?

Or ???.

Someone may come up with a truly unique and effective idea...that would satisfy a plethora of issues (safety/aesthetics/cost-effectiveness/Etc.).

As in some other dangerous public problems though, one thing is for darned sure guaranteed and that being 'thoughts and prayer's'... is NOT the answer to the problem.

There is one big thing to be thankful for at least in this instance, that being there were no fatalities...THIS time.

I'll also tip my hat to the organizers, given that they could have continued the tournament after the storm passed, but out of respect for those injured...they chose to wait until Sunday to finish the third round.

PS: Roy put on a display of pure talent...that was truly remarkable.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 08-26-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
[SIZE="2"]As in a lot of things, some people can't seem to fathom that mitigation efforts to the problem...is far from a simplistic one.

Obviously, dealing with lightning as an individual or small group on the course (or even just being outside)...is much less complicated.

And just as obvious, during a tournament the player's/official's/tourney workers/Etc. have enough inside areas they can go to that are safe...but there certainly aren't enough safe locations to handle the rest of the tens of thousands of spectators left to their own devices.

Given that huge number of spectators, with a dearth of safe inside places out of the weather that are easily/quickly accessible, or even an easy/efficient method to quickly get back to their vehicles...says that the problem isn't nearly as simple as some people would try to convince the more gullible.

I'm not sure what the ultimate answer(s) might be, but I personally believe it's past time for the PGA Tour/USGA/Other...to start discussing some.

Maybe large covered shelters, (whether temporary or permanent)...scattered around the course might be an option?

Or ???.

Someone may come up with a truly unique and effective idea...that would satisfy a plethora of issues (safety/aesthetics/cost-effectiveness/Etc.).

As in some other dangerous public problems though, one thing is for darned sure guaranteed and that being 'thoughts and prayer's'... is NOT the answer to the problem.

There is one big thing to be thankful for at least in this instance, that being there were no fatalities...THIS time.

I'll also tip my hat to the organizers, given that they could have continued the tournament after the storm passed, but out of respect for those injured...they chose to wait until Sunday to finish the third round.

PS: Roy put on a display of pure talent...that was truly remarkable. [SIZE]
I like your use of smilies, even though it is a grim topic.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

Probably visitors or short time renters looking to squeeze in every minute of golf time they were promised.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, death, playing, executive, baffled

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.