Crazy or Death Wish

Crazy or Death Wish

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-17-2019, 02:26 PM

I remember making a list with friends of stupid ways to die. Playing golf in a lightning storm was in the top ten. This was after a round of golf and a close hit! I'm one of those that leaves at the first sign.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Or vice versa. If someone is struck by lightning the question could be why there was not a policy in place. Especially when it is the norm in so many places. BTW, the horn just blew at Medinah, and all the golfers walked off the course.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the powers that be in the Villages, who are smart people with lots of money and access to high powered attorneys, have sought out competent legal advise on how to minimize their liability exposure. Especially given that they have built more holes of golf than any other retirement community in the world, all in the lightning capital of the United States. Seems like a reasonable assumption?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 09:01 AM
Sage

Hi-jacking this a bit...thought of another scenario of possible "death wishes". Those who ride the low recombant bikes. They generally have a flag BUT I've observed that those flags don't show up well neither. IF one wants to ride such a bike, they do make ones that are higher!!

BUT I still agree with the original OP re: being out on the courses with lightening going on.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Or vice versa. If someone is struck by lightning the question could be why there was not a policy in place. Especially when it is the norm in so many places. BTW, the horn just blew at Medinah, and all the golfers walked off the course.

There is no statutory duty to have a warning system in place so why would The Villages create a duty and expose themselves to litigation.

Can't imagine the lawsuit, I'm 70 years old and was injured by lightning while playing golf . I heard thunder and kept playing because nobody told me to stop and therefore it's their fault. Good luck with that.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage

Wow, you survived a lightning strike. Good for you! Too bad there wasn't a horn to get you off the course. Do you have any residual effects from the strike?

From the Diaabled World website:

People who have experienced a lightning strike may also experience longer term issues. The majority of those who have survived a lightning strike experience only some of the symptoms below:

Headaches

Distractibility

Ringing in the ears

Slower reaction time

Issues with multitasking

Difficulties with sleeping

Dizziness or balance issues

Chronic pain from nerve injury

Inattentiveness or forgetfulness

Irritability and personality change

Issues with coding new information/accessing old information

Hopefully, you don't have many, if any, of the after effects. But it's a good reminder to get off a course during lightning for everybody. Thanks for sharing.

The Villages Florida

Old 08-18-2019, 09:52 PM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Quote:
Wow, you survived a lightning strike. Good for you! Too bad there wasn't a horn to get you off the course. Do you have any residual effects from the strike?

From the Diaabled World website:

People who have experienced a lightning strike may also experience longer term issues. The majority of those who have survived a lightning strike experience only some of the symptoms below:

Headaches

Distractibility

Ringing in the ears

Slower reaction time

Issues with multitasking

Difficulties with sleeping

Dizziness or balance issues

Chronic pain from nerve injury

Inattentiveness or forgetfulness

Irritability and personality change

Issues with coding new information/accessing old information

Hopefully, you don't have many, if any, of the after effects. But it's a good reminder to get off a course during lightning for everybody. Thanks for sharing.

The Villages Florida

Dam, I never got struck by lightning but occasionally have issues with some of the things on the list. I think growing old also causes some of the same effects?
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

It does happen. Six injured after lightning strike at PGA TOUR Championship | Fox News

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I saw that on the news tonight. Scary. Acts of God are kind of hard to sue anyone for harm experienced especially if you have been warned many times to stay away from where lightning might strike.

On the issue of the Villages' developers' liability their insurance companies usually have very good attorneys who have a lot of connections to judges and the like. So there is also that. They often come from the same Ivy League law schools or one of the other top tier 14.
Old Today, 05:52 AM
Sage

///

Last edited by graciegirl; Today at 07:07 AM.
Old Today, 06:39 AM

Every one of those symptoms is also just a sign of aging.

Tags
people, death, playing, executive, baffled