Credit card fraud

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2019, 06:48 AM

I had my wallet, with many credit cards and ID, taken. Within minutes they had used my credit cards to charge about $1,000. Shortly after they spent hundreds at Victoria Secret in ORLANDO. Lady Lake Police investigated, it was in that county. A few weeks after the police called me to identify some pictures. A ring of 3, or many more, were operating a human trafficking ring. They said they would be in prison for a LONG time. Nothing to do with my wallet but I was satisfied they got their due.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:56 AM

That happened to us a few years ago. Sad to see it is happening again.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:06 AM
Platinum member

The deputy in the sheriff's office hypothesized that it was a gas station skimmer device. I mostly use the gas stations on 466a.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:43 AM

We had this happen a couple weeks ago. We had just arrived in town and I used my travel credit card that had not been used in over 6 months. Our waiter took a very long time cashing out the bill. The next morning I got a credit card fraud alert, someone tried using the card online. thankfully the charges were declined by the card company. We called the restaurant to let them know about it, and they basically blew us off. We didnt specifically accuse anyone, but explained we had not used the card in months and we only use it when we travel and the restaurant was the only place we had used the card so far.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree, except for paypal. If you use paypal, you give up your Federal protection rights to dispute a credit card charge. Paypal is a middleman between the merchant and you. So, once you pay money to paypal, even with a credit card, you cannot dispute the charge based on non-performance by the merchant. I never use paypal for that reason.
I have never ever heard that. Are you sure???
Old 12-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In 2011 I purchased an item on eBay for $33 and paid with Paypal. After I got the email, about 5 minutes later, I realized I had not updated our address and the item would go to Maryland where we lived before, we had just moved to TV and this was the first item I had purchased after moving.

I immediately emailed the seller and told them the mistake and asked if they could cancel the order. I also gave them my correct address and went to eBay and Paypal and corrected my address. The seller emailed back that the item was already in shipping and could not be cancelled or the address changed.

I kept track of the shipping status and saw that the item was not actually shipped for five days and about ten days later when it was shown as delivered I made a claim with Paypal with all the facts. Paypal denied my claim.

A week later I filed a claim with Discover card and about a month later I was credited $33 by Discover. So Paypal is not the end-all that some might think.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,235 Posts

Also, when you use paypal, a unique number is generated for that sale only, so if it is captured, it can not be used again. I had a paypal account years ago, and forgot to reactivate it when we moved here. I am going to look into this again. The way I had this setup was a direct debit from a checking account, however, I keep the balance on this account fairly low, so if paypal was hacked my loss was limited to the balance in the account, and any charge above that should not go through. I will have to see if the same rules are still in place.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Default No Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I am aware that many of us have suffered having our credit card compromised. Mine was used for a purchase over $850 at the Walmart in Summerfield on Monday. My credit card company notified me that they had declined a second attempted charge of $420. They have already removed the first charge. However, I thought being a good citizen, that I would go to Walmart the day after these charges occurred so that perhaps they could produce some additional evidence. The manager seemed concerned but did not follow up with me. I also stopped by the Sheriff's office on 466 just to let them know in case there's a pattern. I didn't file a report but again wanted to alert them but there was little interest. Is there no hope for catching these folks?

Merchants are not incented to catch these guys

They could actually care less

My card says ask for ID and they rarely do

One month I signed every charge "Micevery charge went through without question

You just need to get a new car to move on
Old 12-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have never ever heard that. Are you sure???
If you use a credit card to pay for something through paypal, then the only transaction subject to the Federal dispute process is your payment to paypal and their obligation to transfer money to the merchant. So, if the merchant doesn't perform, your only recourse is to use paypal's private resolution process, or, as mentioned in Post 21, your bank "may" credit your account. But, neither of these resolution processes are required by Federal law. I am skeptical of any merchant who will not accept a direct credit card payment, because I think some of them are just trying to avoid the Federal dispute process.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Default No Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I am aware that many of us have suffered having our credit card compromised. Mine was used for a purchase over $850 at the Walmart in Summerfield on Monday. My credit card company notified me that they had declined a second attempted charge of $420. They have already removed the first charge. However, I thought being a good citizen, that I would go to Walmart the day after these charges occurred so that perhaps they could produce some additional evidence. The manager seemed concerned but did not follow up with me. I also stopped by the Sheriff's office on 466 just to let them know in case there's a pattern. I didn't file a report but again wanted to alert them but there was little interest. Is there no hope for catching these folks?

One month I signed every charge "Mickey Mouse and every charge went through without question

Default Credit card fraus

Never reply to emails from your credit card companies banks, etc. I have received several alerts with supposedly the logo from the credit card companies and bank which I thought was odd so I called the companies. NO SUCH ALERT CAME FROM ANY OF THE COMPANIES. i WAS ADVISED TO SEND THE EMAILS TO THEIR RESPECTIVE FRAUD DEPTS.
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlynette@cs.com View Post

One month I signed every charge "Micevery charge went through without question

Old 12-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Default Credit card fraud

Never reply to emails from your credit card companies banks, etc. I have received several alerts with supposedly the logo from the credit card companies and bank which I thought was odd so I called the companies. NO SUCH ALERT CAME FROM ANY OF THE COMPANIES. i WAS ADVISED TO SEND THE EMAILS TO THEIR RESPECTIVE FRAUD DEPTS.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:29 AM

What really stinks is when you have automatic withdrawals and have to change all those transactions. What I have done is get a second card which is only used for automatic withdrawals, ie, monthly bills. The second card is keep in a safe and never is used otherwise. Is saves a lot of time when the first card gets compromised.

Cape Cod escapee
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

1. If you receive an alert from a credit card company that you have an account with (some people have notifications set up JUST for the purpose), then do not hit the "reply" button. Instead, get out of that messaging system, and call your bank directly to verify that the alert was legit.

2. The Villages REALLY needs to catch up with technology if you sincerely want to protect each other from credit card fraud. Almost every store I shop in doesn't use google pay or apple pay, and most also don't accept Samsung pay either. If you want to pay by credit card you MUST either chip or swipe your card. That means anyone who was there before you, can rig the machine to duplicate your credit card information if they intended to commit a criminal act.

Virtual pay (google pay, apple pay, samsung pay, etc) is much more secure, and you never have to pull your actual card out of your wallet. Even better, anyone standing over your shoulder will see a "virtual card number" that you can use for verification purposes, but it is not your actual credit card number. So they can't get your credit card number that way either.

It's annoying that I have this feature on my 4-year-old phone, and that all these virtual pay apps have been around since 2013, and the Villages merchants and even some of the supermarkets can't accommodate them yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
credit, card, charge, walmart, additional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.