Credit Card fraudulent charges

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Default Credit Card fraudulent charges

I had a fraudulent charge placed on my credit card today frim the internet. Has anyone else experienced this recently?

CC company has been notified . Would like to trace it down if possible to see if a scanner was used.

PM me if you like .

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 05-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Dude View Post
I had a fraudulent charge placed on my credit card today frim the internet. Has anyone else experienced this recently?

CC company has been notified . Would like to trace it down if possible to see if a scanner was used.

PM me if you like .
I had my credit card compromised 3 weeks ago. $4200.00 for three charges in France. Not sure how my number got out.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 PM

I had one for 600$ done Tuesday at 3:59pm, my credit card fraud department caught it, canceled my number and will send me a new card. I only used that card in restaurants in the villages and for online subscriptions to Apple services. Any chance you ate at any CC in TV lately? Its about the only time I do not see what they do with my card.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Gold member

I had a rash of these a few years ago. 4 different instances with 3 different cards. Never could exactly figure out how they got my numbers. They do it in a number of different ways. Skimmers, they can walk behind you and read the cards in your wallet with a device they carry, some of these scams are done through computers just generating numbers and trying to use them with very small amounts to see if the card works etc etc. I bought a credit card device that I keep in my wallet that blocks the devices that can read your cards and always check the skimmers at stores and gas stations before I use them. Also, the chips on the card seem to help.I haven't had a problem in a few years now. The device I bought is called SignalVault and you can buy it on Amazon.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:18 AM

Same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. CC agency caught it when whoever tried to make a purchase at field oil in west palm I believe. Probably asked for a zip code at the pumps. Someone earlier mentioned eating at the country clubs. This happed 3 days after eating at one of the country clubs. My card has a chip, I keep it in a metal wallet with it inserted in a RFID card envelope. Go figure. The only time that card was out of my hand and out of my site was at a country club restaurant. How many more people in The Villages have had their cc compromised in conjunction with a visit to eat at a country club. Although this may not be how it was compromised it would be interesting to hear from other Villagers that may have had the same experience.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

I have my credit cards set up to email me on any charge over $5.00. Some people set it as low as $1.00 because many crooks make a very small charge to see if the card is good before using it for a large purchase.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Gold member

I had the same issue with my Chase card. Some one bought a $900 Ipad from Apple on line.

I called apple and told them what had happened, Apple told me they sent the Ipad to someone elses name and address??? I asked why would they not verify when the slime changed my name and address?

Called Chase, they removed the charge from me and sent us a new card with a new number.

I never use my Disney Chase card, except for disney and haven't been there in 5 months..

Hummm????
Old 05-12-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I had the same issue with my Chase card. Some one bought a $900 Ipad from Apple on line.

I called apple and told them what had happened, Apple told me they sent the Ipad to someone elses name and address??? I asked why would they not verify when the slime changed my name and address?

Called Chase, they removed the charge from me and sent us a new card with a new number.

I never use my Disney Chase card, except for disney and haven't been there in 5 months..

Hummm????
I found two small charges on my Southwest/Chase card from CDL Study $11 and $26. The number was from a person with a Russian name in a beauty shop in Sawgrass Mills shopping center. I called the number listed and it was disconnected. When I called the fraud department they said they had a bunch of other charges one being Apple for $900 that were caught probably because they didn't have the 3 digit security code. I asked why wasn't I called when all these were happening. No answer getting a new card.

BTW if anyone wants to compare lists the only ones who had my card are Comcast, Southwest, Better Space storage and Ooma.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 384 Posts

Why would anyone worry about this. Its not like you're liable. I have had plenty of fraudulent charges on my cards over the years and never had to cover those charges.

It's absurd anyone would try to track a charge to some place they used their card. Most fraudulent charges come from pros tumbling numbers and getting a hit on yours.

Sleep well and stop fretting over something that is nothing more than an inconvenience.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Why would anyone worry about this. Its not like you're liable. I have had plenty of fraudulent charges on my cards over the years and never had to cover those charges.

It's absurd anyone would try to track a charge to some place they used their card. Most fraudulent charges come from pros tumbling numbers and getting a hit on yours.

Sleep well and stop fretting over something that is nothing more than an inconvenience.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Actually in a lot more than an inconvenience. I have one card I use exclusively on line. And it got comprimised a couple weeks ago. So I had to go and change about 20 web sites and 4 auto pay sites to the new number. PITA
Old 05-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
I had one for 600$ done Tuesday at 3:59pm, my credit card fraud department caught it, canceled my number and will send me a new card. I only used that card in restaurants in the villages and for online subscriptions to Apple services. Any chance you ate at any CC in TV lately? Its about the only time I do not see what they do with my card.
We used it at Chili's in one of those kiosk machines on table.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Gold member

We have cards with both strips and chips which I think are useless as far as security . Credit cards could be made much harder to compromise but it would be a little more inconvenient to users. Right now anything done to hold up a purchase of any type would cause negative backlash. There is so much money in that business that paying fraudulent charges does hurt enough to make a serious change, yet.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:39 PM

I was visiting the Villages and just received a new debit card. I only used it at three places. One was Harry's in Ocala another was a gas station in Belview and the final was the ATM at Citizens Bank. The next day someone in Michigan used my debit card 4 times before my company notified me and cancelled the card. I did not loose my card and still had it. My card company would not give me back the charges that were made in Michigan. After finally convencing them I was in Florida and impossible to make charges at a gas station in Michigan, they told me they would cancel out the charges in a week after they investigated it. I am guessing my card was scanned and somehow another card was made with my information. Somehow that got my PIN number or used it as credit. Come to Florida and have crooks get my card information. Never have had that happen.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman41 View Post
I have my credit cards set up to email me on any charge over $5.00. Some people set it as low as $1.00 because many crooks make a very small charge to see if the card is good before using it for a large purchase.
I now have then setup to alert me for any charge.

Tags
credit, fraudulent, card, trace, notified

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.