Credit Card fraudulent charges

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

In this day and he you would think damn CC could be secure, should be verified by photo and finger prints.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
In this day and he you would think damn CC could be secure, should be verified by photo and finger prints.
Tough to do with online purchases
Old 05-13-2017, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Tough to do with online purchases

Not really have app pop up that takes your fingerprint (encoded)or photo verify. But, if the employee is dishonest and steals that's the problem can't be solved until caught. I never let some waiter take my credit card out of my site, who knows what they're doing out of site.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

A previous poster mentioned a crooks device that can scan your credit card information through your wallet. The equipment only works on cards with a wireless symbol or cards enabled with "Radio Frequency ID" , "Near Field Communications", "Blink" or "Paypass" technology. The device only has to get within 6 inches of the card.

No need to worry if you do not have this type of card.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Here's a good article by Clark Howard on why not to use a debit card in certain places/situations.

As a very general rule, you have more protections using a credit card than a debit card and is the reason I personally no longer use debit cards getting fuel.

Dangers of debit: 10 places to never use a debit card! | Clark Howard

Quote:
Federal laws limit your liability for fraudulent charges under different circumstances, and those protections differ for credit cards vs. debit cards (which are outlined above).

And under federal law, credit cards provide much better fraud protection than debit cards.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Why would anyone worry about this. Its not like you're liable. I have had plenty of fraudulent charges on my cards over the years and never had to cover those charges.

It's absurd anyone would try to track a charge to some place they used their card. Most fraudulent charges come from pros tumbling numbers and getting a hit on yours.

Sleep well and stop fretting over something that is nothing more than an inconvenience.
There is one hell of an inconvenience when you have auto pay attached to the card for things such as ADT, AT&T, Directv, ect. A lot of these companies have also ousourced their customer service dept outside the country. Broken English and hard to understand!!!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Why would anyone worry about this. Its not like you're liable. I have had plenty of fraudulent charges on my cards over the years and never had to cover those charges...
Gimme a break.

If you're that lax about your cards, the fraudulent charges you haven't had to pay for over the years are probably just the ones you know about.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

I know of at least 6 friends here in The Villages that have had their credit card information "stolen" in the past 3 months!!! All still have their cards in their possession. I think there has to be some type of illegal operation here in The Villages.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My husband and I recently became victims of identity theft. I started a thread with lots of valuable information and things we have learned. Everyone needs to, at the very least, have activity alerts on all credit cards. Freezing your credit isn't absolutely necessary, but a big why not.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:07 AM

What CC's need is a PIN,not a 4 digit but at least a 8 digit PIN.Not a 5 digit zip code like some use. The banks only went halfway with the chip.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

25 years ago our AE numbers were stolen" new card made and $27,000. Charged. AE contacted us sent new card, fraud division allowed charges to continue so they could catch them.
AE found and prosecuted. All charges were removed. We always use American Express while were traveling. So if it could happen 25 years ago just think of how more advanced technology is now.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If your card is compromised it can be candled and a hold can be placed on your other cards serviced by the same service (not credit card) company. This has happened to me while traveling. Best to carry several different cards and if married have spouse carry several other cards. No need to use them but just in case you have a problem with your usual card.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

My credit card was compromised back in March and was notified by my card's Fraud Department. Lucky that the 5 charges were very small and amounted to approximately $65 total. Guess the idiot that got ahold of the information loved take out chicken in Atlanta Georgia. My friend, a month later was also notified by his card's fraud department. His card was hit for $1500 at Best Buy, out of state.

We both got replacement cards and were not charged for these purchases.

I would suggest that everyone use their Debit Cards very carefully cause the protections are not as good as on the credit cards and your accounts could get cleaned out very quickly and take a long time to have the money put back in, if at all.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
What CC's need is a PIN,not a 4 digit but at least a 8 digit PIN.Not a 5 digit zip code like some use. The banks only went halfway with the chip.
There is pushback on anything that will hinder sales. Cards could be made bullet proof but it would come with a little inconvenience for shoppers and retailers. IMO
Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 AM

My wife's credit card was stolen last month, but the criminal is spending less than my wife, so I haven't reported it yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
credit, fraudulent, card, trace, notified

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.