Credit card hacked

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Default Credit card hacked

I just had a call that my card was misused. The most recent valid transaction was at a local restaurant. After that use , that same evening, my card was misused. This does not mean that the restaurant or any of their employees were involved. I called the restaurant to let them know. I did that just in case this was not the first time it happened.
If your card is misused please call the last place of valid use to let them know. It may help if a pattern is developing.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Yes this is a very frustrating issue and a card owner can't really know if his/her information was sold from a previous hacking of a company Target, etc or with a recent purchase.. Master Card and Visa are too slow in responding and now fighting over the use of PIN numbers.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Sage

Check where you buy gas, its very easy to skim your card @ gas stations
Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

It's happened to us only twice...and both times it was after visiting and paying at two different TV restaurants.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Yep, probably going to get worse with the 1970's credit card system the USA uses. Some body could of scanned it while you was using it anywhere behind you in line or just close to you they could of skimmed it in your pocket or purse. Or the business you made teansaction in could get hacked which several have recently.

What better place to skim than the villages filled with older rich generation (someone said outsider's consider villagers rich)

Until the USA Comes into the 21 century with credit card technology. I am very careful were I us it. Only use devet bank card in last chance emergency. Which I have yet to have.

I've worked too hard for our money and not going to just willnelllie take chances loosing it. Cash is king in most places IMO.

I think some people even use their credit card or divit card at pay at pay toilets. I never liked the idea at restaurants taking my credit card out of my site. To pay the bill.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Platinum member
Question Strange...........

About a week ago I received a call from a Visa Security office about questionable purchases in Orlando. I had not made them, so the card was cancelled. They mailed me a new one.

Three days ago I received a call from Visa Security that my replacement card account had apparently be compromised because of a filing to change my account e-mail address to Miami. That one was also cancelled. I had used it twice; at a restaurant in Gainesville and at a pharmacy in Tampa.

Strange.......................
Old 02-25-2015, 09:49 PM

When traveling to TV from Michigan , my husbands debit card was hacked and used for two small purchases in Fort Lauderdale. We believe the card was compromised at a Chick Fil A on our way down. We called our bank immediately after seeing the two charges. They cancelled his card, said they would refund the charges, which never happened. Get this, because the charges were made in Florida and we were in the state at our home,in TV, we had to have made them! They called us liars on several phone conversations. It took 3 weeks to get a new card, but in the meantime we opened a new account down here and moved most of our funds to that new account. So having your card hacked could only be the beginning of your problems...
Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoni View Post
When traveling to TV from Michigan , my husbands debit card was hacked and used for two small purchases in Fort Lauderdale. We believe the card was compromised at a Chick Fil A on our way down. We called our bank immediately after seeing the two charges. They cancelled his card, said they would refund the charges, which never happened. Get this, because the charges were made in Florida and we were in the state at our home,in TV, we had to have made them! They called us liars on several phone conversations. It took 3 weeks to get a new card, but in the meantime we opened a new account down here and moved most of our funds to that new account. So having your card hacked could only be the beginning of your problems...
Perhaps part of your problem in getting the charges cancelled is that it was a debit card.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
Perhaps part of your problem in getting the charges cancelled is that it was a debit card.
Yes it was a Debit card, but you still have the opportunity to dispute the charges and we weren't even allowed to do that. We were talking about a little over $18.00 and it wasn't even the amount, it was the fact that the bank said if we were in Florida, we must have made those charges. We did get the final say, as we moved a huge amount of money to our new bank down here and that DID get there attention...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM

We had a 8.000.00 transfer from our credit card. We were notified by our card account. They stopped it and gave us new cards. One day later same thing. We got rid of our online account and it stopped. Just saying.....
Old 02-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

We try to have cash for a restaurant (employees skim them). I also have a debit card to use at gas stations and restaurants and we carry a very low balance on it. You can also get one of those metal wallets that prevents people from skimming your card while you are in line.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

I don't "ever" use my Debit card anymore. If the thieves are going to hack my card, it's not going to be my personal savings they are going to get hold of. I got a new Debit card a month ago due to normal expiration and I still haven't called to activate it.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I'm using ApplePay at every place I can these days. I'm hoping that more and more places acquire NFC terminals so you can use ApplePay in more places.

With ApplePay, no one gets your credit card number, name or anything. All they get is the payment...

Google Wallet is very similar....

Anyone else using ApplePay?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I'm using ApplePay at every place I can these days. I'm hoping that more and more places acquire NFC terminals so you can use ApplePay in more places.

With ApplePay, no one gets your credit card number, name or anything. All they get is the payment...

Google Wallet is very similar....

Anyone else using ApplePay?
I use Google Wallet and I am very pleased with it. Google has announced that new features ( to compete with Apple Pay....) will be coming soon. As soon as more NFC terminals come into play, no more Credit Cards for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Sage
Default Freeze your credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
About a week ago I received a call from a Visa Security office about questionable purchases in Orlando. I had not made them, so the card was cancelled. They mailed me a new one.

Three days ago I received a call from Visa Security that my replacement card account had apparently be compromised because of a filing to change my account e-mail address to Miami. That one was also cancelled. I had used it twice; at a restaurant in Gainesville and at a pharmacy in Tampa.

Strange.......................
Carl, Chase bank numbers were rippied off earlier this year.
My card number was used in Brazil.
Someone called Chase to try to get through security questions to do identity theft and failed the screening.
Chase called me at that point.
My social sec number, and heaven knows what was sold.
As Chase has my mortgage, there may be endless info involved.

My advice to everybody is to freeze your credit by writing letters to experian, transunion and the other reporting agency. There is no charge if you have been compromised or are a senior. You have to call one of the agencies in order to approve any additional lines of credit.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.