Crime will increase next month. It does every year in October.

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
A long life with many experiences. It is your summary that "This post is hyperbole and smacks of racism". I am a bright qualified person.
I think before you casually raise a crisis in crime, you need a more reliable source than saying youre old and bright.

Do you have any sources from the local sheriffls departments?
Old 09-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
A few clues to spot a non villager in The Villages.

They look very different than this;

Nicely dressed older people - Bing images

That doesn't mean that the ones who don't look like villagers are all bad. It just means you are smart enough to have some questions about why they are smoking pot in your driveway having a skeleton tattoo on their bald head and big black earrings inserted into large holes..... But best not to ask them. Call the sheriff and have her ask them what they are doing looking for their lost snake between the houses.
Sarcasm noted.

A quick story.....2001....we had just settled on our first home here in The Villages (Santiago to be specific). Designer neighborhood. Each evening since we moved in, I took a walk around our new neighborhood and enjoyed waving and exchanged pleasantries with our new neighborhood.

I made a turn and saw the red lights of a patrol car. Curious I walked that way, as the car was leaving leaving a couple standing where I was walking. They were upset and began talking a mile a minute. Seems they had also just moved in about a week before and were out for their FIRST walk around when suddenly they had a police car (Sumter County) pulling up and asking them where they lived, etc. They had a call of "suspicious folks" in the neighborhood.

The couple was black and he was a practicing attorney in Virginia and was irate. He said the police were very nice and showed great courtesy to his wife who was very upset.

I worked at the time in the sales office in Spanish Springs and saw him come in the next day to speak with his representative. I was told, but cannot verify, that he sold and left back to VA.

I know or hope I do what the real intent was but this is a real story, told many times all over our country and being different does not mean trouble. Fact is, in my opinion, the opposite is true in most cases.

My story does not speak to ALL Villagers at all, nor is it intended but seems on TOTV and in conversations, we make such generalizations that are just not necessary.

And TOM C in post 12 probably nails it but I always take offense to characterizing people in such generalities as "who doesn't belong in your village who looks out of place". While those who say, "if you see something, say something" are correct, the "SOMETHING" is subject to a lot of interpretation...lots.

In my business life and political life, stories are rampant how allowing personal prejudice influence you is a dangerous business.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Gypsy Family Arrested in $3M Tech Theft Ring | KTLA

Gypsies suspected in string of Central Florida crimes - Orlando Sentinel

Gypsies Arrested in L.A. Called Part of U.S. Theft Ring - latimes

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-11-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The "travelers" are multi-generational scam artists in Ireland they were the "tinkers"--fixing driveways, giving a deal on something you don't need--the latest gypsy scam-a car taps you in the rear as you leave your care the passenger in the car that hit you steals your car
Huh?
Old 09-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Sage

Interesting stories, although a bit dated....but if you think all skimmers, burglars, etc are "gypsy" THEN WOW.....lots of blond hair types doing the same thing right here.

They do not ride in covered wagons or wear long dresses etc. these "gypsies"
Old 09-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Sage
Default From the online news.

Last year....Pardon me for not linking the whole thing. Read it. Most of you will remember this;

"Earlier this year, the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office had warned Villagers that a ring of “Gypsies” who had previously targeted Florida’s Friendliest Hometown were back. And an alert Villages couple sitting down to lunch had noticed two men in a Dodge Durango behaving oddly on Allistar Court in the Village of Winifred and called law enforcement.
The sheriff’s office swiftly swept in.
The driver of the Durango was identified as 39-year-old Zenon Szynkler by his Polish passport. He told a deputy he was staying in a Tampa hotel and had been looking for a place to fish. He was within the Village of Winifred which, other than the neighborhood pool, has no bodies of water.
The second suspect, 36-year-old Adamo Czerner was tracked by a bloodhound to Laurel Manor Recreation Center where he tried to blend in as a Villager. He also had a Polish passport and told deputies he had been dropped off in the recreation center parking lot by a female who was going to look for a hotel room, then come back and get him.
The following day, deputies retraced the blood hound track and discovered behind the burglarized residence a crow bar. They also discovered under some shrubbery a black bag with the stolen silverware inside.
Last month, Szynkler pleaded no contest to a felony charge of grand theft and was sentenced to three years probation and ordered to perform 100 hours of community service.
The case against Czerner, who had been charged with the more serious crimes, was dropped by the prosecutor’s office. Court records indicate that correspondence mailed to Czerner, who was free on bond, had been returned as “undeliverable.”

Not my usual but I can't link it. You all know why.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-11-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Sage

There are a lot of criminals who will be coming to our area soon, not just gypsies.

To be fair maybe some of them will look just like us.

If you see something out of the ordinary it is wise to pay special attention. We are old and smart and this isn't our first rodeo. A lot of piercings and tattoos and pet snakes...hey...trust your instincts. Also I don't think gypsies carry around crystal balls anymore. And those scarves and earrings...no. But some people just have this thing when they see someone who gives them pause....It is called...
Wait for it...……..

Common sense.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Look, a thief is a thief is a thief. They come in all sizes and shapes. The whole point of GG's post is PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT"S AROUND YOU! Sound advice I'd say.

A friend living in Florida at the time we lived in Hawai'i once said to me, "You're lucky, bad guys can't get to where you live on a bus like they can to Florida". True, but we found there were plenty of "bad guys" who got there on a cheap plane ticket.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Look, a thief is a thief is a thief. They come in all sizes and shapes. The whole point of GG's post is PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT"S AROUND YOU! Sound advice I'd say.

A friend living in Florida at the time we lived in Hawai'i once said to me, "You're lucky, bad guys can't get to where you live on a bus like they can to Florida". True, but we found there were plenty of "bad guys" who got there on a cheap plane ticket.
Maybe you are correct, but she used quite a few "dog whistles" in her post and since she described herself as "A long life with many experiences. It is your summary that "This post is hyperbole and smacks of racism". I am a bright qualified person."
Then I assume she knew what she was saying.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Sage

Gypsy bandits invading South Florida, using distraction burglaries to steal valuables from residents - wptv.com

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-11-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
October 2017, I sometimes have a hard time remembering 6 months ago
Old 09-11-2018, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
October 2017, I sometimes have a hard time remembering 6 months ago

By all means don't let any of this upset you.

I am saying that from next month until about the end of March we have people coming into the area whose motive is to steal and scam us. They will pose as destitute families who just need gas money, or some other panhandler scheme or they may try to break into our homes. They come to Florida at this time of year for one purpose only. If you see something that makes you feel something is amiss, call law enforcement. Some are gypsies and some are tramps and some are thieves. I have no interest in their race, just that it has happened every year we have lived in The Villages. Starts around October and gets worse in January and February.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Platinum member

I believe one of the crimes that peaks in October is "cow tipping".
Old 09-11-2018, 06:13 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I believe one of the crimes that peaks in October is "cow tipping".
Old 09-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Maybe you are correct, but she used quite a few "dog whistles" in her post and since she described herself as "A long life with many experiences. It is your summary that "This post is hyperbole and smacks of racism". I am a bright qualified person."

Then I assume she knew what she was saying.
That reminds me of my professional life, where I often heard someone trying to 'old-head' me by implying their superiority because..."I have 30 years of experience."

They weren't real happy when I told some of them that... "actually, you have 30 years of service...with 5 years of experience."

Whereas I might have had only 20 years of employment at that point, it wasn't spent doing pretty much the exact same thing over and over...of which is what they had done.

My professional "experience" was built on taking a myriad of jobs and positions that gave me a broad oversight and understanding...that very few others in my industry were afforded.

Which of course, helped me achieve the senior management positions...that I was lucky enough to have held.

It's analogous to those who may have more years of life on this earth, but without a constant quest for knowledge, a willingness to do research for actual facts (even on those things that affirms your own confirmation bias), a willingness to empathize with others, immerse yourself in other cultures/nations, always keeping an open mind and putting oneself in the other person's shoes...so as to be able to say that you have 'real experience.'
Closed Thread

Tags
village, october, year, word, break-ins

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.