Cripes Almighty

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Veteran member
Default Cripes Almighty

I was passing through the Charlotte, NC airport last Friday. There, hanging from the ceiling was a large model of the famous warbird, P-51 Mustang. Gorgeous replica. The name on it was "Cripes Almighty".....verrry cool name. It perfectly captures the awe of that 1650 Horsepower beast "canon of the sky" in a steep strafing run raining .50 cal on some unlucky souls. And this also comes to mind...."CRIPES ALMIGHTY"....post something people. What gives ???. Got an opinion? Sure you do....POST! Got a gripe? Sure you do....POST. Got something wonderful to share with your neighbors? Sure you do....POST. Got a teensy weensy juiciy secret you'd like to blab? Uh huh....sure you do (ok....I've gone to far). It's your online community...use it....or risk losing it. (sigh)....post ......puleeeze?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Cripes Almighty

John,

I got to fly with a friend of my son's friend who has a Navion. It was made by the same company that made the P51.

I couldn't believe the take-off power and the angle of ascent. It has something like four million horsepower. Really like 280 or so, quite a bit for a single engine.

And the owner told me it is an honest five seater.

Riding, and getting some stick time in it, leaves me in awe as to what the honest-to-goodness P51 would do?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Veteran member

Yep. The P-51 was a throughbred....through and through. The point of my post though was to get folks to post. Except for you so far...nada.... I'm mystified.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

While I'm at it.....those guys flew when flyiing was flying. All they had was compass, stopwatch and dead reckoning from landmarks all done with a hand on the stick for about 500 miles to rally point. Awsome! Most don't realize how big the P-51 was for a fighter of it's time. The air intake alone was astonishing to feed those hungry pistons. But at 300 mph...no prob. I'd love to see a computer simulation of a P-51 Mustang up against a P-38 Lightning wouldn't you? My bets on the Mustang.

The whole nine yards,

John
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Do we have any veterans, or pilots, who have flown the P-51? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

I have a cousin who spent a bucket of money to fly a restored P-51, somewhere in Florida, I think. Not too long ago either.

Speaking of the Blue Angles, I was thrilled to ride with one of their pilots in the two-seater A4D Skyhawk they used to fly. I wrote a long, verbose newspaper story about it and I still grin every time I read it. I think I'll go look for it now. It has been a while since I read it. And the flight is just vivid as ever to me. ;D

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.