Critters in the attic

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2019, 11:51 PM
Default Critters in the attic

Looking for some kind of solution to get some sleep at night as something is making all kinds of racket in the attic late at night and wondering if it might be squirrels or other critters and how to get rid of them

I hate to use poison as to having them (maybe) die in the attic and never finding them. Hopefully someone will know of a solution or someone to help me get rid of them

Thanks for your help
Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Night noise = mice or rats. Likely rats. The name by which they are called varies by region. Some here call them palm rats, they are also known as roof rats, ship rats or black rats Roof Rats Information: Habits, Habitat & More on Roof Rats

To address non believer posters here on this forum they are not a myth, even if you have not seen one.

The long term solution is to get rid of the food source typically citrus or bird feed.

To get rid them is to kill them. Traps or poison. The poison uses warafin, a blood thinner. They get thirsty, leave and bleed to death. Rats are very smart and are weary of new food sources. It is not very effective, but clean to use.

Traps work, the clean up is not fun. Use rat traps which are mouse traps on steroids. Place along runs in the attic.

I have killed seven, six by trap one by poison. I found the poisoned one by smell. Very distinctive. It was outside, no problem locating it.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Find the entry source and block it.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboViper View Post
Looking for some kind of solution to get some sleep at night as something is making all kinds of racket in the attic late at night and wondering if it might be squirrels or other critters and how to get rid of them

I hate to use poison as to having them (maybe) die in the attic and never finding them. Hopefully someone will know of a solution or someone to help me get rid of them

Thanks for your help
You have a major problem ! I had the same thing.

I called Massey, Deans, and Truly Nolen. Truly Nolen had the best solution. They located 3 openings in the roof sealed them off. They found one dead mouse, mice and rat droppings. Cleaned up the mess. Disinfected the attic. Put down traps for 3 weeks to make sure they were gone.

Massy and Deans use bait traps. Truly Nolen does not.
Phone 352-430-0046. Located in The Villages .

This is not something new it happens a lot here.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Is this problem limited to homes that have trees with limbs close to the home so the animals can access the roof from the tree? If not how do they get in?
Closed Thread

Tags
attic, night, solution, rid, critters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.