Crossing 441/27 in a cart

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Default Crossing 441/27 in a cart

Using the search function, I was not able to find a real answer to the question: Other than using the bridge, can you cross over 441/27 at one of the stop lights by a non-street legal cart?
I found a lot of answers, "Why would you want to?" and "You're taking your life in your own hands," etc etc, but what I'd really like is a factual answer (with a link, if possible, also) Thanks!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Gold member

I see Stonecresters doing it all the time to get to Walmart and Lowes.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Can't provide a link but the simple answer is no. Unless the county permits golf carts crossing a public thoroughfare, they cannot legally do it. Stonecrest has authorized permission to cross at the one light. Otherwise, no city, county or state authority exists to make it legal to cross 441/27 via golf cart. Of course, you can do so in a motorized wheelchair, scooter, on a bike and on foot but not via golf cart.

Lake County won't even permit a street legal cart to cross Rolling Acres, so those crossing there risk a hefty ticket along with their lives.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Last edited by redwitch; 07-17-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Default Crossing 441/27 by cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Can't provide a link but the simple answer is no. Unless the county permits golf carts crossing a public thoroughfare, they cannot legally do it. Stonecrest has authorized permission to cross at the one light. Otherwise, no city, county or state authority exists to make it legal to cross 441/27 via golf cart. Of course, you can do so in a motorized wheelchair, scooter, on a bike and on foot but not via golf cart.

Lake County won't even permit a street legal cart to cross Rolling Acres, so those crossing there risk a hefty ticket along with their lives.

So if Stonecresters can cross over to The Villages at a light (which light) couldn't Villagers cross over at the same light?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Sage

Two different things.

There is a legal crossing for a regular Golf cart at street level, but it can only take you to Spruce Creek at SE 175st place. I don't think there is a way from Spruce Creek into the villages.

The Villages Florida

I am sure there are people living in Spruce Creek and stonecrest who have a village gate card (illegally?) to enter into the historic section, from there they can go over the bridge.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlhig View Post
So if Stonecresters can cross over to The Villages at a light (which light) couldn't Villagers cross over at the same light?
They can cross over to get to Lowe's, etc. we can cross over to get to Stonecrest but nowhere else and we'd still have to use the bridge and path to get to that light. The legal crossing light is, I believe, near Wal-Mart in Marion County. No way to get to it from TV's side.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-17-2017, 01:29 PM

I keep seeing the designations of "legal crossings" and "authorized permission" but no one has really confirmed that these privileges really exist. Can anybody confirm?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Sage

Do a search for Marion County golf cart crossing. There are a couple of news items from 2014 when the county commissioners authorized it.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlhig View Post
Using the search function, I was not able to find a real answer to the question: Other than using the bridge, can you cross over 441/27 at one of the stop lights by a non-street legal cart?
I found a lot of answers, "Why would you want to?" and "You're taking your life in your own hands," etc etc, but what I'd really like is a factual answer (with a link, if possible, also) Thanks!
It is only legal to cross 441/27 at the designated crossing at the entrance to Spruce Creek South. This has been approved by Marion County. No other crossing for a golf cart has been authorized. Those that do can be ticketed. Now you could push it across, legally but you cannot drive it across.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Sage

...OR you can invest in a street legal cart and cross at any of the lights.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
...OR you can invest in a street legal cart and cross at any of the lights.
Not sure about that, as I recall, there are strict limits on street legal carts, as I recall, they are NOT allowed on or crossing roads with posted speed limits above 35 mile per hour.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Not sure about that, as I recall, there are strict limits on street legal carts, as I recall, they are NOT allowed on or crossing roads with posted speed limits above 35 mile per hour.
Good question---they are not allowed to drive on roads with a speed limit over 35, but crossing??? For instance, I'm driving my car on a road that is posted at 30, but crossing a road with a limit of 45---can I go across at 45 or is MY limit the limit of the road I am on??? Probably, and therefore can a LSV cross?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Sage

We have a LSV....did our homework before purchasing it with the police here. You can cross a controlled road (ie. 441/27/, 466, 466a. 44 BUT you may not drive on any road that posts a speed limit over 35 mph.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 PM

I have seen several golf carts driving up Rolling Acres from Recreation Plantation. The limit there is 35 mph. It was frightening to see them in the road with cars since there isn't a cart lane. Is this legal?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Sage

///
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

Tags
answer, 441/27, cart, hands, taking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.