Is it as crowded as last year

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Just my opinion, but I think there will be more openings of stores, esp. grocery stores, to handle the new residents. Already Pinrllas has taken strain off of Colony, and more of that is supposedly coming to handle FP.

I can handle three months of left-turn hassle for the ease and joy of living here year-round. I do miss having Lake Michigan in my backyard, but not the winter that goes with it, nor the three days' drive twice a year for the three short months of summer up there.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Email Reported As Spam

There are basically two types of people responding to issues pertaining to The Villages "defenders" and "realists" If your in the latter group be prepared to be taken to task.

You will also find posters who want to make comparisons such as its more crowded in........ but they forget the discussion isn't about .....its about conditions in The Villages

Posters keep repeating that The villages of Lake Sumter, Inc are pretty smart but other posters make solid suggestions of many flaws in governance and infrastructure, etc

Pick your poison.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
I think it is much worse this year. We must not be going to the same places to eat. Always have to wait at Bob Evans now at 5pm. Went to Oakwood Grill last Wed at 5pm after Mom's hair appt and there was a 55 minute wait!!! Drove down to Leesburg instead. Long wait at Carrabba's. We never eat at the Country Clubs--bad food and too expensive; no salad with meal; too noisy. Can hardly wait until May. Nothing against snowbirds, this place is just too big now.
Well we must just be lucky we went to Ricciardi’s at 5 pm. Went to VKI Japanese at 6, Sakura at 5:30 and have stopped in at Jonny rockets for shakes a few times and we haven't had to wait. Bonifay for breakfast buffet was full but not nuts. Last year we had a 20 to 30 min wait everywhere. The traffic does seem bad still as well of course the drivers are still clueless.
We are not eating out as often this year so maybe it is perception.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Just my opinion, but I think there will be more openings of stores, esp. grocery stores, to handle the new residents. Already Pinrllas has taken strain off of Colony, and more of that is supposedly coming to handle FP.

I can handle three months of left-turn hassle for the ease and joy of living here year-round. I do miss having Lake Michigan in my backyard, but not the winter that goes with it, nor the three days' drive twice a year for the three short months of summer up there.
Three days drive to Michigan? Thought you didn't have a golf cart?
Old 02-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Three days drive to Michigan? Thought you didn't have a golf cart?
Ha ha! No, just a couple of squirrelly backs.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

January seemed to be the same as in years past, but we eat late.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
When our home was built in 2004 the population was 35,00.
Buena Vista was only open from 466 south to the second traffic circle. Morse did not go to the bridge going South.

Lake Sumter Landing was under construction but not much know about what it was going to be.

Ten years later three times bigger! I won't even attempt to list the retail and restaurants that were not here.

Yes. Bigger. Much, MUCH better.
Said another way we were happy to be here back then......no knowledge of what was to come. Much happier with what TV has become.

The slow season of today is significantly more populated than the busy season of not so many years ago.

Yes TV has evolved to handle the growth.
It may be approaching build out (again), but the commercial and other developments will continue.
Excellent post!!!

I don't find this year to be more or less crowded than other years. The traffic seems to be the same. Restaurant dinner time must be planned accordingly, if one doesn't want to wait........ or one could stay home and avoid all congestion, until April.........IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Sage

Why would there be less traffic and people? They are building homes at a rate of under 50 days per home and they are selling like hotcakes. The area south of 466A extending to Fruitland Park and south to 44 is huge and will only add many thousands to the mix. New restaurants and shopping won't lessen the traffic on the road, only waiting times in those restaurants, etc.
During the snowbird season I try to avoid driving thru TV as much as possible and will take 301 or Rolling Acres Road and Micro Race Track around the outside to avoid the traffic.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
...will take 301 or Rolling Acres Road and Micro Race Track around the outside to avoid the traffic.
Everybody's situation is different of course, but if I tried to go "around the outside" of TV, I would take twice as long to get anywhere.

I must go to the right places at the right time, because I rarely (if ever) run into enough traffic to even think about taking an alternate route.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
There are basically two types of people responding to issues pertaining to The Villages "defenders" and "realists" If your in the latter group be prepared to be taken to task.

You will also find posters who want to make comparisons such as its more crowded in........ but they forget the discussion isn't about .....its about conditions in The Villages

Posters keep repeating that The villages of Lake Sumter, Inc are pretty smart but other posters make solid suggestions of many flaws in governance and infrastructure, etc

Pick your poison.
And there are some who are depressed and things don't EVER look positive. NOTHING. NO one. Some are down on Christmas. Some dislike dogs. Some just aren't happy but may not know they aren't happy. There is a high amount of depression in the older population and it isn't a character weakness. It is a chemical imbalance that sometimes comes with aging.

I am a defender. I freely came here and love it here. AND I think I am a realist too.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:55 PM

I look at it in this opposite way. Would I want to live in a 55+ community where there was no activity, no people milling around, no cars on the road, no light traffic, etc.? Absolutely not since I like the vibrancy, the progress, change and growth as opposed to a dead and stagnant place. Then again if you want to experience real traffic and congestion then go to where I grew up - Manhattan.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Why would there be less traffic and people? They are building homes at a rate of under 50 days per home and they are selling like hotcakes. The area south of 466A extending to Fruitland Park and south to 44 is huge and will only add many thousands to the mix. New restaurants and shopping won't lessen the traffic on the road, only waiting times in those restaurants, etc.
During the snowbird season I try to avoid driving thru TV as much as possible and will take 301 or Rolling Acres Road and Micro Race Track around the outside to avoid the traffic.
301 is good, even now in the middle of the winter season. Micro Race Track, not so good. The other day there were 50 cars lined up on 466A waiting to turn north onto it. I counted them as I was coming from FP on 466A. And I now wonder if The Villages is still planning a traffic light there? The entrance they are building into FP The Villages is down the road a ways, not at Micro Race Track.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
There are basically two types of people responding to issues pertaining to The Villages "defenders" and "realists"....
I love this kind of post. Let me paraphrase: There are two types of people in TV...those who think like me, and those who are wrong.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:58 PM

We don't live there yet, but we are counting the days until my retirement. We still think you live in Paradise. We live in a beautiful little town in South Jersey. We had reservations at 7. We were served at 9. Yes, we had to wait. We talked, sipped wine, smiled at each other and enjoyed. Thank God for where you live.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandMary View Post
We don't live there yet, but we are counting the days until my retirement. We still think you live in Paradise. We live in a beautiful little town in South Jersey. We had reservations at 7. We were served at 9. Yes, we had to wait. We talked, sipped wine, smiled at each other and enjoyed. Thank God for where you live.
I share your sentiments.
I went to Glassboro, had a summer place in Cape May and lived in Tabernacle and Medford along with other SJ towns.
Where are you from?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.