Is it as crowded as last year

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I haven't noticed that many more people compared to last year. Maybe the cooler temps have kept more people inside. I don't see that many on the cart paths lately. Maybe it's my driving.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I'm not sure there will be enough execs to go around. The golfers that I met that were here 4 years ago say it was different.
For various reasons, The "older" you get (for many) the less golf you play. As TV builds out there will be plenty of Tee times. Even now---I know guys that pickup tee times and play 5 and 6 times a week on executives. Very often you can get pretty much what tee time you want on the championship courses. FORE!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
I look at it in this opposite way. Would I want to live in a 55+ community where there was no activity, no people milling around, no cars on the road, no light traffic, etc.? Absolutely not since I like the vibrancy, the progress, change and growth as opposed to a dead and stagnant place. Then again if you want to experience real traffic and congestion then go to where I grew up - Manhattan.
I like this post! Most of us picked The Villages because it IS vibrant and alive with activity and options. Your perspective on some of the minor downsides of such a busy place is refreshing, Vladimir!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
For various reasons, The "older" you get (for many) the less golf you play. As TV builds out there will be plenty of Tee times. Even now---I know guys that pickup tee times and play 5 and 6 times a week on executives. Very often you can get pretty much what tee time you want on the championship courses. FORE!
The execs are good for walking and from the back are quite a challenge. The proportion of execs to people is dropping down quite a bit. Would you agree?
Old 02-16-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I share your sentiments.
I went to Glassboro, had a summer place in Cape May and lived in Tabernacle and Medford along with other SJ towns.
Where are you from?
Morning! We're from Pitman. We had a shore house in Mystic Island until Hurricane Sandy wiped it out. It was horribly sad, but opened new opportunities for our retirement home. We visited friends in TV and were hooked. See you after July!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
301 is good, even now in the middle of the winter season. Micro Race Track, not so good. The other day there were 50 cars lined up on 466A waiting to turn north onto it. I counted them as I was coming from FP on 466A. And I now wonder if The Villages is still planning a traffic light there? The entrance they are building into FP The Villages is down the road a ways, not at Micro Race Track.
The light at micro-racetrack is still planned. It would be improved immediately if the southbound section had a "no left turn between 7 am and 6 pm" sign. The backup occurs when some numbnuts decides to take a left on to 466a. Since catching a break to be able to do it is rare, one car stacks up 50.

As far as 50 getting stuck waiting to go North that is a problem from some of our drivers being timid and over cautious. Some want no oncoming vehicles to be in sight before they turn.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I talked to a few people who were at Mardi Gras at LSL this year and they were surprised at how much less crowded it was. My brother was down last year and we decided to go and get some jambalaya. It was impossible. Lines for food were ridiculous and people who were not eating were sitting in all of the seats. We weren't about to wait for an hour in line for food only to have to eat standing up.

From what everyone that I spoke to said, it was much less crowded this year.

I think that Brownwood probably has a lot to do with it.

I had a thought. When they do these celebrations such as Mardi Gras, St Patrick's Day, etc. in the squares, they should do them in all three squares at the same time. It would be much less crowded and much more enjoyable for the people who are there. I think that a lot of people who have been here for a while stay away from these events. I know I do. I learned my lesson after two or three times. St Pat's, Mardi Gras, Cinco de Mayo, I go to another square to avoid the insanity.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Mardi Gras at LSL this year was chilly at best. People here are cold averse, especially when the sun goes down. Actually, I was somewhat surprised how many people were still there after 7:00. Last year was much warmer.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I wonder if a lot of folks who are getting whomped with snow up North are reluctant to come to Florida this year.

A home that hasn't been shoveled out sometimes is a red flag that no one is home. It would be VERY hard to get your driveway cleared on such a regular basis from afar.

I would be reluctant to leave my home and go on vacation with the snow piling up and even breaking roofs.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I wonder if a lot of folks who are getting whomped with snow up North are reluctant to come to Florida this year.

A home that hasn't been shoveled out sometimes is a red flag that no one is home. It would be VERY hard to get your driveway cleared on such a regular basis from afar.

I would be reluctant to leave my home and go on vacation with the snow piling up and even breaking roofs.
That is exactly why we left last year and came here. Hired a snow guy, bought a couple neighbors a nice dinner to look at the house now and then, had internet controlled alarm and thermostat and finally reviewed my home owners insurance to make sure that if the roof feel in I was covered. It was lot more enjoyable being here when all the white stuff fell. I assumed that if there was damage and I was there all I could do was look at it and say, yep, the house is trash. Besides, it's a two hour flight. Anyway, we sold it and moved here, now just have to worry about lightning strikes.....

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I look at it in this opposite way. Would I want to live in a 55+ community where there was no activity, no people milling around, no cars on the road, no light traffic, etc.? Absolutely not since I like the vibrancy, the progress, change and growth as opposed to a dead and stagnant place. Then again if you want to experience real traffic and congestion then go to where I grew up - Manhattan.
This is a person who loves life...
Old 02-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Exactly! We visited many such places. They had 1 clubhouse, 1 pool,
And a handful of activities.
Love the energy here in T.V.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I talked to a few people who were at Mardi Gras at LSL this year and they were surprised at how much less crowded it was. My brother was down last year and we decided to go and get some jambalaya. It was impossible. Lines for food were ridiculous and people who were not eating were sitting in all of the seats. We weren't about to wait for an hour in line for food only to have to eat standing up.

From what everyone that I spoke to said, it was much less crowded this year.
A possible reason for this year being less crowded than last year other than weather is after attending last year and having hugh crowds and no place to set, why would you want to go this year and experience the same thing....Not me.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Platinum member

My experience has been, it it is easier to get a table at a restaurant but more difficult to get a tee time!!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:06 PM

It's no longer a village!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.