Cruise the golf courses without playing golf

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Sage

Just thinking of the vastly different thoughts that could go through the minds of people touring the course compared to golfers playing it.

"Oh, look at the beautiful pond they have next to that green with the pretty white sand in places."

Vs.

"Oh crap, another water hazard next to a green and look at all the traps around it!"
Old 05-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Calm down Grace and I know you don’t like change. I asked a simple question, presented my thoughts and stated that I have submitted my ideas on The Villages survey. As the survey is under the auspices of the developer, I would hope you would agree with them when they ask for our help to make things even better for everyone living in TV. Yes, some ideas will fly and some won't.
Well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Twoplanekid: As I already mentioned in my previous post, (#25) my first thought "this won't fly". No pun intended. But... I thought you have a creative idea and why not give it a go!

As usual you have disagreement among posters, especially those with strong opinions. With few exceptions, most of us like "things" the way they are in The Villages. Thinking "outside the box" is rarely acceptable especially in a sport as old and traditional as golf. Enough said. I look forward to meeting you sometime around The Villages.
As an avid golfer on the championship courses, two-plane's idea initially struck me negatively...and as being quite naive.

Upon further reflection however...I'm coming around to your thoughts on it.

While some very specific rules, protocols, oversight/supervision and limited times to do this (twice a year?) would need to be established up front...I don't really see the harm it would do.

And while I don't exactly relish the thought of having more golfers become interested in taking up tee times, I can also see the larger picture in that golf is actually losing participants in recent years (discounting our little anomaly here) and 'growing the game'...should be the goal of everyone who truly loves to play.

Along those lines, making one of these 'non-golf tours' to coincide with the peak of summer break for kids...might be a good idea.

Golf's decline takes toll on retailers

Quote:
Millennials, the key to the sport’s future, are shunning the expensive and time-consuming game in favor of more instantly gratifying pursuits such as Pokemon Go and Netflix binges. That’s bad news for companies like Nike and Adidas AG, which said in May that it was starting talks with potential buyers for the bulk of its golf unit, TaylorMade, which generates about $1 billion in annual sales.

“In any sport, you’ve got to get young participation to drive long-term growth,” said Brian Yarbrough, an analyst at Edward Jones & Co. who covers Nike. “You’ve got to have a crop of younger people coming in at 20, 25 years old who will play the game 20, 40 years. You are not seeing enough of that.”

The number of U.S. golfers dropped to 24.1 million in 2015 from a peak of 30.6 million in 2003, during the height of Tiger Woods mania, according to the National Golf Foundation. The decline among young people is even more troubling: The participation rate has fallen 30% over the past two decades. In the United Kingdom, where modern golf originated, the average age of once-a-week players jumped to 63 in 2014 from 48 in 2009.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Just thinking of the vastly different thoughts that could go through the minds of people touring the course compared to golfers playing it.

"Oh, look at the beautiful pond they have next to that green with the pretty white sand in places."

Vs.

"Oh crap, another water hazard next to a green and look at all the traps around it!"
Excellent.

Which brings to mind Robin Williams' classic stand-up routine on golf, which I won't link here...as it is definitely NSFAFS (Not Safe For A Family Site).
Old 05-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Actually The Villages does give us a sort of annual "Open House" on the golf courses.

Free golf on Christmas Day, no tee times required.
Just show up.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
Actually The Villages does give us a sort of annual "Open House" on the golf courses.

Free golf on Christmas Day, no tee times required.
Just show up.
That would work for golfers who are actually playing, but would be a disaster and a huge safety issue (as mentioned in other posts above)...if some were just cruising around rubber-necking.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
For those of us who don’t golf, is there a way to drive a golf cart around the golf courses to take a look. Everyone in TV pays amenity fees to support the maintenance of these beautiful courses. Yet, those of us who don’t or can’t golf miss the beautiful views taken in by those that do.

So, can’t there be a time when non-golfers can sneak a peek at the courses. Maybe I have missed events such as this in the past as I am only now a full time resident. Of course this should be done in such a way as to minimize the inconveniences it might create for golfers and only take place a few times in the year. One event could be a caravan of carts following leaders who know the way. Some might even want to take up golf after seeing firsthand the fields of play.

This is my suggestion that I posted on the Villages survey for others and you to think about.
bbbbbb Yes that would be so nice, so let us look at this topic and I am serious.
1. How about bikes ?
2. What about the persons heading home after 4 Happy Hours ?
3. Can an activity be enjoyed where no money is involved ?
4. Would it be great to just walk the courses ?
Thank you !!!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:46 PM
Platinum member

Under the correct circumstances non-playing spectators are allowed on Executive Golf Courses. Below I have copied the appropriate regulations. I can't find anything for the Championship Courses, albeit a few of years ago, I was able to ride as a non-playing spectator on a championship course while I was visiting a resident friend.

Executive Course Spectator Policy
As approved by The District Boards, commencing May 2015 regarding the Spectator Policy on Executive Courses.
 Spectators are allowed, and must follow golf course guidelines
 No Charge for residents/guests with a valid resident/guest ID card
 Spectator Tags will be issued; If a spectator is caught playing, they must pay the appropriate fees
and golfing privileges will be suspended for 30 days.
 Spectators must be at least 10 years of age with an accompanied resident/guest
 Spectator golf cars must remain on the path
 One (1) spectator limit per person, with a maximum of four (4) spectators per foursome not to
exceed four (4) total golf carts
Old 05-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Under the correct circumstances non-playing spectators are allowed on Executive Golf Courses. Below I have copied the appropriate regulations. I can't find anything for the Championship Courses, albeit a few of years ago, I was able to ride as a non-playing spectator on a championship course while I was visiting a resident friend.

Executive Course Spectator Policy
As approved by The District Boards, commencing May 2015 regarding the Spectator Policy on Executive Courses.
 Spectators are allowed, and must follow golf course guidelines
 No Charge for residents/guests with a valid resident/guest ID card
 Spectator Tags will be issued; If a spectator is caught playing, they must pay the appropriate fees
and golfing privileges will be suspended for 30 days.
 Spectators must be at least 10 years of age with an accompanied resident/guest
 Spectator golf cars must remain on the path
 One (1) spectator limit per person, with a maximum of four (4) spectators per foursome not to
exceed four (4) total golf carts
See post #8.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
from my post #32 ->

"Again, aircraft owners would not encourage the general public to wander around ramp areas with engines starting and aircraft taxiing. A special event with the public under supervision and learning about how we operate is how we do it.

I am suggesting that non-golfers be given an opportunity to enjoy seeing the courses without having to play golf. A once or twice a year event doesn’t seen too much to ask. Plus, more of the general public would become aware of the issues golfers have with untrained people on the course.

I suppose I could take up the suggestion to just take a time with my wife to just putt some of the courses. However, I would rather be in an organized group that is lead around the course. "

I will go to a starter shack to ask how it might be done! And, I have made the suggestion of a special event on the Villages survey forum.
You made some excellent points. Great Post!
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, courses, can’t, time, beautiful

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.