Cruise the golf courses without playing golf

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I've used google earth to get an aerial view of a course I haven't played before to get a general idea what the course holds in the way of each hole's hazards. Yeah, I'm weird! At least I don't have to worry about getting hit with a golf ball this way!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Allowing non golfing people to wander on the courses is a very bad idea. During my 6 yrs playing in TV, I have had several instances of clueless people wandering across my shot path, or walking toward the tee . On one occasion in early evening I saw two people walking on a green and taking pictures during active play. No should be " Absolute" . Have also seen residents and others taking golf course cart paths as shortcuts to their home or other destinations. In some cases they were doing this in reverse direction of golfer traffic.

Once something like this gets started, people begin skirting the rules and begin to get sloppy about following the established procedures.
Kind of like minor exceptions to "deed restrictions" Another "slippery slope"
Again, aircraft owners would not encourage the general public to wander around ramp areas with engines starting and aircraft taxiing. A special event with the public under supervision and learning about how we operate is how we do it.

I am suggesting that non-golfers be given an opportunity to enjoy seeing the courses without having to play golf. A once or twice a year event doesn’t seen too much to ask. Plus, more of the general public would become aware of the issues golfers have with untrained people on the course.

I suppose I could take up the suggestion to just take a time with my wife to just putt some of the courses. However, I would rather be in an organized group that is lead around the course.

I caddied for my dad and took many golf lessons at our local country club when I was young. I haven’t played a hole since my college years as all of my spare change went to pay for aircraft expenses.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 05-21-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Again, aircraft owners would not encourage the general public to wander around ramp areas with engines starting and aircraft taxiing. A special event with the public under supervision and learning about how we operate is how we do it.

I am suggesting that non-golfers be given an opportunity to enjoy seeing the courses without having to play golf. A once or twice a year event doesn’t seen too much to ask. Plus, more of the general public would become aware of the issues golfers have with untrained people on the course.

I suppose I could take up the suggestion to just take a time with my wife to just putt some of the courses. However, I would rather be in an organized group that is lead around the course.

I caddied for my dad and took many golf lessons at our local country club when I was young. I haven’t played a hole since my college years as all of my spare change went to pay for aircraft expenses.
Response is totally consistent with your original post. Being a pilot and former plane owner myself, I agree with your description of how most airports handle similar "public days"
Problem is some of the other posts offered in this thread show no understanding of the issues on an active golf course.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I do not live on a golf course but have a beautiful view of the course from across the street. I hear my neighbors talk about people who ride on the course after hours and how it infringes on their peace and enjoyment of their backyard at night. I agree. As of this moment if you have not paid then you don't belong out there. At our age it is time to go with the flow and respect others and not time to reinvent the wheel. If there is another community that allows this I could not find it with Google.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Response is totally consistent with your original post. Being a pilot and former plane owner myself, I agree with your description of how most airports handle similar "public days"
Problem is some of the other posts offered in this thread show no understanding of the issues on an active golf course.
I agree with Challenger.

Golf is more than a game and more than a place where the game is played. It has always been a culture onto itself. In my view and experience it has been largely peopled with ladies and gentlemen who dress according to the rules, and play by them too. Public municipal courses have allowed anyone interested, to join the game, but so far golf is still a quieter, more dignified game than tennis and attracts a certain bunch of people who must have patience with themselves and others. It is a very hard game that looks easy and this place is filled with it's advocates. Non golfers have not been allowed to tromp around golf courses. They get in the way, slow down play and put themselves in danger. Golf wouldn't like to shut itself down to allow the visitors. You play by golf's rules. Golf is a strict task master.

Join, so golf can own your soul too.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-21-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Gold member

I think the little signs at some courses sum it up, "Golf Traffic Only". The courses get a lot of use and more traffic will only make maintenance more difficult. Championship courses do not have cart paths on many holes. People unfamiliar with the course would be driving around in circles. I can see it now, a resident drives to the top of a hill for the view not realizing there is a sand trap there, now we will have tow trucks on the courses. Years ago I was an ambassador at Glenview. Golfers were playing golf right up to dark. More than once I came across people wandering on the course. And dog walkers. My favorite was a couple, in a fairway, parked, drinking wine, telling me they were waiting for the sunset. Golfers were waiting to tee off!

As I understand it the executive courses are run by the district, the championship by the developer. If you don't pay admission (green fees), it would be like expecting to go to the movies for free because it is what is provided for your entertainment.

Please, please, give up on this idea.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree with Challenger.

Golf is more than a game and more than a place where the game is played. It has always been a culture onto itself. In my view and experience it has been largely peopled with ladies and gentlemen who dress according to the rules, and play by them too. Public municipal courses have allowed anyone interested, to join the game, but so far golf is still a quieter, more dignified game than tennis and attracts a certain bunch of people who must have patience with themselves and others. It is a very hard game that looks easy and this place is filled with it's advocates. Non golfers have not been allowed to tromp around golf courses. They get in the way, slow down play and put themselves in danger. Golf wouldn't like to shut itself down to allow the visitors. You play by golf's rules. Golf is a strict task master.

Join, so golf can own your soul too.
Then golf will die! Too bad.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Two plane.

Not hardly.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Two plane.

Not hardly.
As the aircraft owner’s population has declined, so has that of people playing golf. We flying enthusiasts have learned that we must promote aviation to survive. Golfers need to also look to doing things differently for their survival.

Can rules changes save golf from decline?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
I think the little signs at some courses sum it up, "Golf Traffic Only". The courses get a lot of use and more traffic will only make maintenance more difficult. Championship courses do not have cart paths on many holes. People unfamiliar with the course would be driving around in circles. I can see it now, a resident drives to the top of a hill for the view not realizing there is a sand trap there, now we will have tow trucks on the courses. Years ago I was an ambassador at Glenview. Golfers were playing golf right up to dark. More than once I came across people wandering on the course. And dog walkers. My favorite was a couple, in a fairway, parked, drinking wine, telling me they were waiting for the sunset. Golfers were waiting to tee off!

As I understand it the executive courses are run by the district, the championship by the developer. If you don't pay admission (green fees), it would be like expecting to go to the movies for free because it is what is provided for your entertainment.

Please, please, give up on this idea.
Please note that I am talking about a once or twice a year event under supervision and guidance. I am sure people would be willing to pay the standard fees for a chance to do something special.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Please note that I am talking about a once or twice a year event under supervision and guidance. I am sure people would be willing to pay the standard fees for a chance to do something special.
I don't think it will sell.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
This is not an idea most golfers would be happy with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't play pickleball or tennis, but I don't go on to those courts to look at them. I don't play softball, but I don't wander around the softball fields while games are in progress or otherwise.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Not in The Villages!
Old 05-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Some of these responses are amazing...and a bit sad. I am a golfer (admittedly a poor one) and do play when I can be at my home in TV. I don't take it nearly as serious as some of the respondents do though. It's not a PGA tournament folks; just a game that's supposed to be fun.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 05-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Some of these responses are amazing...and a bit sad. I am a golfer (admittedly a poor one) and do play when I can be at my home in TV. I don't take it nearly as serious as some of the respondents do though. It's not a PGA tournament folks; just a game that's supposed to be fun.
Many people move to The Villages because of all of the golf opportunities. Many people have played golf for most of their lives and many people begin to play when they move here. The opportunity to play golf at ALMOST free is a wonderful thing for a majority of people who live here. People who are truly part of the sport have spent endless hours and lots of money chasing that little white ball. Interest in golf doesn't need to be drummed up in this community. Interest in golf may be needing advocates and encouragement and tours of golf courses in some communities but not here.

I don't see anything sad here, I just think that my fellow Buckeye has his eye out for a good cause to back. Golfers want him to look elsewhere.

Tags
golf, courses, can’t, time, beautiful

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.