Curious about Village break-ins

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Was at a VHA meeting and the Sheriffs office indicated the burglaries were done by a band of thieves that travel......hit an area and then move on. Several neighboring counties have had the same experience and they are working with Sumpter. The activity stopped near the end of February but Sumter and the other counties are still working the cases.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

One interesting note: Although I called 2 security companies for pricing and what would be included, BOTH companies told me that even though I had a cat I could still have a motion detector because cats are small enough that it won't go off. Well, when the installer showed up, he noticed my cat tree and the first thing he said was "do you have a cat"? I said yes, but they told me it was not a problem. He said they are wrong because the problem with cats is... they climb up on stuff and then they are in the range of the motion detector. He said having a 50lb dog would be better than having a 10lb cat for that reason. Makes sense, that's what I had been thinking all along anyway, but figured they knew what they were talking about since more than one company said the same thing. So he did not install a motion detector for me, but also did not take anything off the cost either. I don't know why they can't give you correct information from the beginning. Why doesn't the installer talk to the sales reps or vice versa. It's very frustrating.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy;1032***
They always head to the master bedroom where all the valuables are stored.
Here's an idea.
Fix your bed so that it looks like somebody is sleeping in it.

I bet the burglars won't remain in there long enough to see if it is real.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
One interesting note: Although I called 2 security companies for pricing and what would be included, BOTH companies told me that even though I had a cat I could still have a motion detector because cats are small enough that it won't go off. Well, when the installer showed up, he noticed my cat tree and the first thing he said was "do you have a cat"? I said yes, but they told me it was not a problem. He said they are wrong because the problem with cats is... they climb up on stuff and then they are in the range of the motion detector. He said having a 50lb dog would be better than having a 10lb cat for that reason. Makes sense, that's what I had been thinking all along anyway, but figured they knew what they were talking about since more than one company said the same thing. So he did not install a motion detector for me, but also did not take anything off the cost either. I don't know why they can't give you correct information from the beginning. Why doesn't the installer talk to the sales reps or vice versa. It's very frustrating.
I will offer this suggestion, locate the motion sensor such that it will be able to detect people, but not be as sensitive to cats. I have seen several of these advertised as "pet friendly". For example directly over the door or other opening does not typically offer an location where a cat would be able to climb and trip the sensor.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

I had a system and the cat was not detected.

In ref to a different post on this, if someone got in and nothing was stolen, it could have been one member of a team scouting for goods. Up north, my next door neighbor was alone in the house with her baby. This was an upscale neighborhood. In the middle of the night she heard an intruder in the house walking up the stairs. She pretended to be asleep. He came in sat on her bed and had enough gall to light a cigarette and smoke it. Then she heard a small cry from her baby in the next room. He got up and she could hear him going from room to room then finally she heard the front door close. She could still hear the baby softly making her normal noises so stayed put for 15 minutes. Then, she got up, grabbed the baby and went to her friend's house and called the police. The police said the intruder was part of a team. One would case the houses and where each valuable was located. Later the gang would swoop in and within a few minutes be gone with the goods. (In my case they may feel sorry for how little I have here and leave me something)
If these people are working in teams, this would explain why nothing would appear amiss.
IMHO, a sweet-tempered but really big looking dog with a good snarl beats putting wooden Dowling in the doors.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
Here's an idea.
Fix your bed so that it looks like somebody is sleeping in it.

I bet the burglars won't remain in there long enough to see if it is real.
awesome idea.....and completely free. I would add leave on the radio to a talk show.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Gold member

Another vote here for SimpliSafe.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

Presently Angie's List has a simplisafe security system special for only $199
Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Anyone try security stickers strategically placed on a couple of windows and doors?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

I have seen this as a recommendation, and I have seen websites that sell very realistic signs for the lawn etc., also there are some very good non monitored (no monthly fee) system that can be installed by anyone as they are wireless. One thing to keep in mind, the bad guys are probably aware of the designs of the fake signs, which means they might be an invitation.......
Old 05-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Just a vote for Thoroughbred Alarms from Ocala.....good equipment, great monitoring and the people are fantastic. Didn't want to go with a big company and Thoroughbred came recommended through the alarm company I had in Pa. Just our preference.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home-Alarms-TV View Post
Worried about your home when out of town? Let alliance security help you. We have state of the art service and you can watch your home when out of town. Give us a call so we can go over options to protect your home. Call 352-356-8582
Oh Oh !

I think that your post may have offended " Villager Joyce " !
Old 05-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
Oh Oh !

I think that your post may have offended " Villager Joyce " !
Buffalo Jim, you have made my day. I am an insignificant, plain Jane, average, not the sharpest knife in the drawer person who always had to work 150% just to break even. Somehow I made enough of an impression on you to make it on your "I'm gonna get you back for having an opinion that doesn't mirror mine" list. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Presently Angie's List has a simplisafe security system special for only $199
never use angies list, vendors pay them to suppress bad reviews, why would I pay for manipulated referrals that are less than truthful?
Old 05-04-2015, 01:31 PM

I know of one where loud lawn mowers were going across the street. Entry made by busting front door in. Area was screened in making it hard to see who was in entry way.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.