Curious about Village break-ins

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2015, 05:20 PM

Ive noticed that Arden's Jewelers has high security safes, that are anchored to the concrete. Best way to protect ourselves from theft would be to lock up all valuables; cash, jewelry, etc. Something to consider...
Old 03-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbaby801 View Post
Ive noticed that Arden's Jewelers has high security safes, that are anchored to the concrete. Best way to protect ourselves from theft would be to lock up all valuables; cash, jewelry, etc. Something to consider...
How much would one of those high security safes cost?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Sage

They always head to the master bedroom where all the valuables are stored. It may seem strange but put them somewhere else. There are always many clever places to hide valuables such as in the garage, kitchen, etc.
I installed a motion sensor in the bedroom that sounds a piercing alarm if anyone enters the bedroom. I don't see a need to have a system monitored since if the alarm sounds they will run out of there and the alarm company will call the police long after they are gone.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I posted an article on one way to prevent the sliders from being lifted out. This was followed up by an excellent alternative, place wooden rods in the tracks at the TOP of the sliders so they cannot be lifted up.

Do a search for the "break-in" thread, also this was just published in the news paper.

If you cannot find the info, send me a PM, WITH YOUR EMAIL, as I cannot send an attachment to a PM.

Hope this helps.
See the thread "another Burglary" to see an article I posted, also, instead of the suggested aluminum, you could use small dowels 1/2 inch or small depending on the gap, or flat pieces of wood. Also, others have suggested placing screws in the top plate of the sliders and screwing the screws in just far enough to allow the sliders to move but not be lifted out.

Hope this helps, VT
Old 03-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Get a good security system with cameras in and out that you can see on your smart phone.

I bet no one will ever use our bathroom again.
and the guest bedroom?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy;1032***
They always head to the master bedroom where all the valuables are stored. It may seem strange but put them somewhere else. There are always many clever places to hide valuables such as in the garage, kitchen, etc.
I installed a motion sensor in the bedroom that sounds a piercing alarm if anyone enters the bedroom. I don't see a need to have a system monitored since if the alarm sounds they will run out of there and the alarm company will call the police long after they are gone.
Maybe.....I suspect that burglars understand the time line and know they still have some time in the house. Either way, I also believe that if my house is identified as monitored, and they look in the window and see the sensors, glass breaks etc they might just pass us by for an easier target.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighthouse Cable Lysander View Post
Hello Fellow Villagers,

If you live south of CR 466A, then Brighthouse Networks is available for home security.

* With Brighthouse Networks you get 24/7 monitoring
* Free Cellular backup on all our plans, which means that your are still monitored in the event of an outage
* Free service calls

We have rates starting at $32/month

Plus we never make you sign any contracts

Get the peace of mind to secure your home that only Brighthouse can provide for you

Call today to schedule your free at home visit or to sign up for new service
And how will that change when the purchase of Brighthouse by Charter is complete?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Maybe.....I suspect that burglars understand the time line and know they still have some time in the house. Either way, I also believe that if my house is identified as monitored, and they look in the window and see the sensors, glass breaks etc they might just pass us by for an easier target.
I ordered online a "Simply Safe" security system. Great customer service. Easy to install. Uses 3M patented tape that holds firm yet allows removal to re-position components or take with you when you move. Eveything you need from winow/door, motion, water, temperature and glass breakage detection. Customize to your specific needs. My base station has a siren and I added an additional siren for my inclosed Florida room. I have 3 keypads, with the main one in the garage, by our entry door. The system is on a no delay alarm so if anyone breaches the security the sirens and alarm notification is immediate. You can have it monitored for $15 to $25 per month or just let the sirens do the job and also notify your neighbors. You add all these locking systems for your sliders, but without an alarm system burglers will have plenty of tiime to figure a way in.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Default Simpli Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
I ordered online a "Simply Safe" security system. Great customer service. Easy to install. Uses 3M patented tape that holds firm yet allows removal to re-position components or take with you when you move. Eveything you need from winow/door, motion, water, temperature and glass breakage detection. Customize to your specific needs. My base station has a siren and I added an additional siren for my inclosed Florida room. I have 3 keypads, with the main one in the garage, by our entry door. The system is on a no delay alarm so if anyone breaches the security the sirens and alarm notification is immediate. You can have it monitored for $15 to $25 per month or just let the sirens do the job and also notify your neighbors. You add all these locking systems for your sliders, but without an alarm system burglers will have plenty of tiime to figure a way in.
I too hv Simpli Safe. Awesome. Ck oi out . Simplisafe.com
Old 04-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Gold member

If they go after valuables such as jewelry then seasonal residents would not be a target except during the winter months.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Veteran member
Default SimpliSafe (1-888-957-4675)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
I too hv Simpli Safe. Awesome. Ck oi out . Simplisafe.com
This is the system we have, and we could not be more pleased. Their customer service is outstanding. Phone number given above. We also learned recently that their smoke alarms are considerably more suited to today's furnishings and potential fires and added them next to the existing ones that were originally installed with our homes here in TV. They tie into the security system wirelessly. It's really a great system, well worth considering.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:46 PM

Hi neighbors, I read most recently in the newspaper that a young man had been arrested and believed to have burglarized one home and attempted at another home but nothing was taken. The person arrested was found at his girlfriend's mother's home in the Villages. He was not driving a vehicle and he had been observed walking in neighborhoods that were on the other side of 466A from where his girlfriend lived. He was arrested at the girlfriend's mother's home in the Villages.

I have never forgotten my big city upbringing to always pay attention to your surroundings and make observations not assumptions. The one time I made an assumption I am lucky to be alive to mention it today. Just this past week I was reading suggestions offered by a Sumter County Sheriff requesting that we take certain actions to preserve the crime scene if your home is burglarized and protecting ourselves from walking in on a burglar. He also suggested that if someone rings your doorbell or knocks that was unsolicited, we should call the sheriff's office and provide as much info as possible without engaging the person. They found that some of these burglars were selecting homes because they felt confident no one was at home. We all know that may not be true. Even a phone call hang up could also be a wrong number dialed when in fact the burglars were checking to be sure everyone was out of the home.

I hope this is helpful if you hadn't read it or heard about it.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
The window/slider is broken into? In Mexico we used 1.5 inch PVC on the INSIDE. Sticks or wood were susceptible to termites.
It would take years, decades, etc., for a broom stick (as an example) to get termites unless termites were already active around the area of the door.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
This is the system we have, and we could not be more pleased. Their customer service is outstanding. Phone number given above. We also learned recently that their smoke alarms are considerably more suited to today's furnishings and potential fires and added them next to the existing ones that were originally installed with our homes here in TV. They tie into the security system wirelessly. It's really a great system, well worth considering.
We have one as well. We have 3 entry sensors, 2 motion detectors (will probably add a third), 2 glass break sensors, a panic button (in addition to the ones on the keypad and key chain), and a smoke alarm. The nice thing is that you can make the system as simple or complex as you want, and you can have anything from interactive monitoring to no monitoring at all. It is very configurable and easy to install. I would recommend you get a Verizon rather than a T-Mobile chip in your base station.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am sure the rules allow, bUt I am offended Bright House jumps onto a thread about break-ins to promote their product.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.