TV in CYV lanai?

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Veteran member
Default TV in CYV lanai?

We are enclosing our 8x15 lanai and wondered what people thought about putting in a TV outlet out there. We are having floor to ceiling windows on the outside wall and a slider and garden door on the end wall, so the only wall available would be the inside wall beside the opening into the living room. Our builder is suggesting putting in a TV outlet for resale value but I don't know how the seating would have to be in order to see the TV. Any pros or cons about the idea?

LW888
Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Gold member

I'd say put the TV outlet in. I would suggest putting it on the wall so you can mount a flat screen up there. You can get a wall mount for the flat screen that allows you to rotate and pull out from wall or have it flat against wall.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

we'll be putting a cable outlet in our lanai when we return - but it is going at the bottom of the wall next to the power outlet where we will put a small tv on a stand. we are snowbirds so we do not want to leave the tv outside when we go north. if future owners of the home want to put a tv on the wall, they will just have to run the cable/power cords down the wall and hide them with a "U" channel.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When we moved to TV and I saw how close my neighbors were, I was concerned that a neighbor would play music or have a TV on their lanai and disturb the peace. I feel so grateful that I have quiet neighbors and none of them have a TV on their lanai. I love the quiet mornings sitting on the lanai enjoying the birds.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
When we moved to TV and I saw how close my neighbors were, I was concerned that a neighbor would play music or have a TV on their lanai and disturb the peace. I feel so grateful that I have quiet neighbors and none of them have a TV on their lanai. I love the quiet mornings sitting on the lanai enjoying the birds.
I agree. I don't think people realize how the sound carries with the homes so close together. The concrete lanai's really seem to amplify the sound. About 4 years ago we had problem neighbors who had numerous loud parties in addition to a very loud television they played almost non-stop on the lanai, and thankfully they've moved. I don't know about how noise carries in a courtyard villa, but it is certainly something to keep in mind.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default but...

not sure but since the original poster is enclosing their lanai and they are in a CYV....the TV on the Lanai should not be a problem right? Just want to make sure....it seems like it would not be a problem for the neighbors.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:36 AM

I would install the outlet,we have one and enjoy watching tv and listening to music on the lanai. We tested the sound level prior to watching to make sure we could not hear anything outside of the lanai so as not to disturb anyone.We know not to raise the volume past a certain point. We also asked our neighbor if at any time our sound level is too high to let us know. We are very conscious of their privacy.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Sage
Default Don't know if this would work...

Don't know if this would work or not, but I've seen this device advertised on television where this man is watching television in bed, and his wife sleeping next to him can't hear the television at all and is sleeping like a log. I think it was some kind of headphone device being advertised. Just a thought.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Default TV in Lanai

Thanks for all your input. We probably won't be having a TV in the lanai, but the builder suggested that the outlet for a TV be installed during the construction so that it was available for any resale. We are going to put a cable outlet by the existing electrical outlets. The other side is too close to the bedroom sliding door to put a TV either on a stand or on the wall. As the lanai will be drywalled in, the sound should not be a problem unless the sliders are opened. I had forgotten about the adjustable TV wall hangers. Thanks again for all the ideas.

LW888
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.