The Daily Sun

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2019, 06:52 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

The Daily Sun is light and entertaining...and keeps u informed of all the wonderful things in TV...and u get coupons.

Of course its the mouthpiece of the esteemed and wonderful developer. Sort of like Pravda back in the days of the USSR
Old 09-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Suicides are always reported in the news here in the north (I'm up for the time being), UNLESS it was a member of the military. And even then, if it's military that involved some crime -other- than suicide, it still ends up getting reported. It isn't just because people want to know how other people die. But there's a suicide epidemic going on, and pretending there isn't, doesn't make it go away. It just makes people not realize that it's a problem that needs to be addressed.

There's a lot of news that the Daily Sun chooses to ignore. Sadly, there are people who only read the Daily Sun, or only watch Fox News, or only watch CNN, or only watch the Today Show or whatever else - they limit their scope of the world.

I suggest that you don't limit your scope of the world, OP. If nothing else, the Daily Sun is entertaining. You can read it just for that purpose, and it'd be well worth the dollar. If you want hard news, you can always find it online at the AP and Reuters feeds (which is where most daily and weekly papers get their non-local news).
Old 09-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Platinum member

This topic is morbid...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 06:02 AM
Veteran member

World Rugby Cup vs American Football. Obviously, I think most residents of TV prefer to have news about Football, even though I like to see a Rugby match occasionally.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
Old 09-11-2019, 06:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

If it is important to you to read about suicides, then no.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

The 'Happy Paper' has always been a 'daily home sales brochure' sprinkled with a thin veneer of slanted news and some local events/people.

It's relatively dirt cheap though and since you usually get what you pay for, everyone needs to make their own decision...as to whether its worth subscribing.

A few years ago, I personally realized I was mainly only reading the fairly skimpy sports section and decided I could do that online easier and in more depth...so cancelled my subscription.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
The 'Happy Paper' has always been a 'daily home sales brochure' sprinkled with a thin veneer of slanted news and some local events/people.

It's relatively dirt cheap though and since you usually get what you pay for, everyone needs to make their own decision...as to whether its worth subscribing.

A few years ago, I personally realized I was mainly only reading the fairly skimpy sports section and decided I could do that online easier and in more depth...so cancelled my subscription.

The Daily Sun is a unique publication that has improved from earlier days of our life here when there were many typo's and spelling errors. It has come from a bit hokey to quite a bit enjoyable to most Villagers.

It is owned and managed (again) by the developer after a few years of being run by a close friend of the developer. It has a lot of advertising of homes, which is enjoyed and used by many home seekers and those of us who like to see our home prices rise in value. It also serves to bolster an already booming business that really doesn't need advertising.

The National and International News comes from the same news services used by other larger and more powerful newspapers across the country and the world. The opinion pieces echo the slant and interest of the majority of people who live in The Villages. I can't think of a paper that isn't slanted but this is a popular slant for the age group and views of the readers here in The Villages.

The Sun spotlights the many, many activities in The Villages and the varied interests of the inhabitants of this over 55, well kept and well run place that is the fastest growing area of it's kind in the country.

It is inexpensive and interesting to most of us and a nice way to start our day.

The newspapers from Orlando and Tampa offer the slant that the Sun is missing.

It's another beautiful day in The Villages.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-11-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

I’ve never seen articles indicating a suicide was committed anywhere be it up north or down south. We had a home in Oak Run Ocala for a few years, my in laws also lived there for 20 years. The only way they or we learned of suicides was thru word of mouth or if you happened to live in the same neighborhood as the person. I don’t think suicides should be public information published in a newspaper.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Has the online newspaper been mentioned? I didn't see any posts that did. They will publish all the crimes, mug shots, suicides, homicides, they don't hold back. It's been around about five years and is not connected to TV. I can't post a link since TOTV blocks their links as a non-advertiser. Try this all together villages - news . com

82-year-old Villager commits suicide in Vista Lago Villas

June 6, 2019

The District 5 Medical Examiner’s Office was called to investigate the apparent suicide of an 82-year-old woman in the Vista Lago Villas in The Villages.

The woman was discovered in the back seat of a running vehicle on May 29 in her garage, according to an incident report from the Lady Lake Police Department. She was discovered by a contractor who had been working on shelving in her garage. The contractor had been given a remote to open the door. He turned off the car and tried to rouse the woman, but realized that she was “beyond help,” the report said.

A search of the home turned up a suicide note, will and other financial documents. An officer was able to locate contact information for the woman’s son in King County, Washington. The King County Sheriff’s Office agreed to send a deputy and chaplain to the son’s address.

The Villager’s body was removed from the scene by the medical examiner’s office.

Woman suffering advanced stages of cancer commits suicide in Village of El Cortez

May 29, 2019

The Medical Examiner’s Office is investigating the apparent suicide of a 79-year-old woman in the Village of El Cortez.

The woman, who was suffering from the advanced stages of cancer, shot herself with a 9mm gun on the morning of May 24, according to an incident report from the Lady Lake Police Department. She was found in the bedroom by her husband.

He and his wife, who was suffering from lung cancer and COPD, had coffee that morning and she then said she was going back into the bedroom to lay down, something her husband told police was “not unusual.” He was in the living room watching television when he heard a shot fired.

The woman’s daughter was also there. She had taken a leave of absence from her job in North Carolina to care for her mother.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I subscribe to the DS when I am in TV. It is cheap and gives me information about The Villages, including the entertainment at the squares, human interest stories about neighbors, open houses, restaurant coupons, recreation and golf news, etc. I don't look to it for hard news or editorial content. I subscribe to The Kansas City Star and the Washington Post online for that news. The Daily Sun is what it is - primarily a marketing tool for the developer, and if you take it for what it is, it is fine.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I like the Daily Sun. I get enough doom and gloom, death and destruction and hate from the evening news and on-line sources. I don't want to wake up in the morning and read about murders, rapes, robberies or suicides, not a great way to start off the day. As to suicides, this type of death is probably the hardest for a family to deal with and to have it published in a newspaper for all to read is adding insult to injury. I once knew a man whose daughter committed suicide. Years after her death he was still questioning what he had done wrong or how he missed the behavior that led up to her death.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I like the Daily Sun. I get enough doom and gloom, death and destruction and hate from the evening news and on-line sources. I don't want to wake up in the morning and read about murders, rapes, robberies or suicides, not a great way to start off the day...
I agree with this 100%. I didn't read the newspaper until I moved here 8 years ago. It started on our LSV when they delivered a newspaper to the driveway every morning. It gives great info for a new resident or visitor of what's going on, the movies, open houses, clubs, etc. If I wanted doom and gloom, all you have to do is put on the national news.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Has the online newspaper been mentioned? I didn't see any posts that did. They will publish all the crimes, mug shots, suicides, homicides, they don't hold back. It's been around about five years and is not connected to TV. I can't post a link since TOTV blocks their links as a non-advertiser. Try this all together villages - news . com
John W, that particular online local "news" rag is just as bad at "reporting" negative information as the DS is at "reporting" only positive information. It's actually worse since it does zero fact-checking, doesn't have datelines (most "reporting" is done by "Staff Reporter"), there's little to no accountability, and it seeks to shock and agitate the reader with its headlines.

In actual journalism, something that seems to have been forgotten among even the seniors among us, the questions who, what, when, where, why, and how are answered. If someone shoots themselves in their house, then the article would be:

Quote:
Joe Smith was found dead from a gunshot wound at his home in Village of Blah Blah, last night at 7:30PM. Officer Obie entered the home as the result of 911 calls from several neighbors, who heard the gunfire. Six officers of the Sumter County police force secured the home, and Joe Smith was pronounced dead at the scene. No sign of foul play was found after a three-hour search of the property. Mr. Smith was suffering from inoperable liver cancer, according to his wife Cindy, who was playing mahjongg next door when the shots were reported. The event is being treated as a suicide, but the coroner's report won't be expected for at least the next 48 hours.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran member

I like The Daily Sun and find it quite informative and refreshing in a journalistic world that has become extreme sensationalism and political agendas.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM

My grandfather ran "the smallest daily newspaper in Indiana". When he purchased it, he cancelled the subscriptions to AP and UPI to focus on local news. Farm reports, high school sports, weddings, anniversaries, social articles from outlying communities, etc. When asked if he missed "real" journalism he said, "Of course it's corny, but corn brings a good price".
Closed Thread

Tags
sun, daily, start, found, reported

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.