The Daily Sun

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

It is a decent feel good newsletter for local happenings. Good to know what local entertainment items are coming up .. not just the squares, but also the Sharon, Savannah, movies etc, which restaurants are running specials, fundraisers (like yesterdays Honor Flight at Codys Brownwood), blood drives etc .. I've also learned the word neuropathy, which seems to appear on every other page in the paper. The circulation people are outstanding, making it easy to turn delivery off and on. Unlike other people, I like the Thursday inclusion of recreation news in print, vs having to eye strain it online. Most days, its a quick ten minute scan, unless I'm having trouble with the word jumble. It's also great for short term tenants and snowbirds. I get my outside the bubble news and sports in other places.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:08 PM

I'm about to become a new resident.

When I've visited prior to purchasing a new home, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Daily Sun. The newspaper is quite useful for newcomers or those considering a move to The Villages.

Our local Portland Oregonian pales in comparison; it is suffering like most of the newspapers across the US.

Fortunately we also have home delivery here in Oregon of the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times. And online I have access to the Washington Post.

Even with those newspapers available to me everyday, even when I travel, none of them reports "all the news".

My only complaint with the Daily Sun is that there is not on-line, complete version of the paper. I have talked to reporters and office personnel at the Daily Sun office in Brownwood asking them why not. Thus far, it's a business decision for them. I encouraged them to consider a complete replica edition for travelers like me.

I do get the daily email summary, so it helps a little.

Mike

Last edited by M2inOR; 09-12-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
I'm about to become a new resident.

When I've visited prior to purchasing a new home, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Daily Sun. The newspaper is quite useful for newcomers or those considering a move to The Villages.

Our local Portland Oregonian pales in comparison; it is suffering like most of the newspapers across the US.

Fortunately we also have home delivery here in Oregon of the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times. And online I have access to the Washington Post.

Even with those newspapers available to me everyday, even when I travel, none of them reports "all the news".

My only complaint with the Daily Sun is that there is not on-line, complete version of the paper. I have talked to reporters and office personnel at the Daily Sun office in Brownwood asking them why not. Thus far, it's a business decision for them. I encouraged them to consider a complete replica edition for travelers like me.

I do get the daily ************* email summery, so it helps a little.

Mike
I agree with you about the lack of availability of an on-line complete version of the Daily Sun. For part-time residents/snowbirds, I bet there would be an interest in an online subscription service.

I also enjoy reading the Daily Sun when I am visiting TV.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 PM

Is the World Rugby Cup reported anywhere in the U.S.? If so, why?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Is the World Rugby Cup reported anywhere in the U.S.? If so, why?
I remember when I was younger and on a road trip south. I stopped in a town where a man started up a conversation with me. He told me that he had three cars, one was an older Cadillac. He was so proud of it. I asked him where has he travelled and he said oh, as far as 3 miles away.

Yes, that’s why.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 AM
John41

We enjoy the advice columns, the puzzle page and the local news. The national news coverage is good without the fake news in most of the “real” newspapers.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
We enjoy the advice columns, the puzzle page and the local news. The national news coverage is good without the fake news in most of the “real” newspapers.
With all due respect, could you please define "fake news".

I hear this term and have never had it defined. I know of very few FALSE reports in national news. Can you define and perhaps an example.

Thank you
Old 09-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
With all due respect, could you please define "fake news".

I hear this term and have never had it defined. I know of very few FALSE reports in national news. Can you define and perhaps an example.

Thank you
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Steve
Old 09-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
I assume you actually read the link you provided and the references contained.

Of course there is fake news being spread from afar and unrestrained. Facebook is a veritable load of false news.

I was speaking to the accusation of "“real” newspapers." as mentioned in the post I responded to.

We had congressional hearings on this subject over a few days and it was shocking to me that this is going on and meanwhile it continues. Using that term fake news when speaking of YOUTUBE , FACEBOOK, etc is accepted yet the folks using that content is increasing.

i was looking for some "fake or false news" in any major legitimate newspaper as was alluded to in this thread.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
...AGAIN, I hear the term almost daily but yet to find any respected mainstream news source to actually lie and put out fake news ,yet we still see that term used.
For me, the term fake news refers to news sources trying to pass themselves off as unbiased journalists. Often...even when basic facts of a story may be true to one degree or another...the “journalism” in presenting the story is anything but unbiased.

Biased sources trying to pass themselves off as unbiased journalists is rampant. I believe, to many, that is the meaning of the term fake news. And it’s everywhere every day.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-15-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
For me, the term fake news refers to news sources trying to pass themselves off as unbiased journalists. Often...even when basic facts of a story may be true to one degree or another...the “journalism” in presenting the story is anything but unbiased.

Sources trying to pass themselves off as unbiased journalists is rampant. I believe, to many, that is the meaning of the term fake news. And it’s everywhere every day.
AGAIN......example PLEASE

The term seems to be reserved for opinion pieces or something that someone does not like.

HOWEVER, saying a legitimate new source or newspaper MADE UP NEWS or faked news is a very very serious charge
Old 09-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
AGAIN......example PLEASE

The term seems to be reserved for opinion pieces or something that someone does not like.

HOWEVER, saying a legitimate new source or newspaper MADE UP NEWS or faked news is a very very serious charge
Covington Catholic..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Covington Catholic..
ALMOST fair.....I assume that you have read the "results" of the lawsuits filed....to my knowledge they wereL ALL dismissed by the court.

i will agree that the initial reporting was a bit aggressive by some but all that did that reporting have explained, apologized or what needed to be done almost immediately. I read all the reports and followed it pretty closely especially the lawsuits

AND AGAIN...it was never FAKE NEWS......Legitimate news sources will always acknowledge anything reported wrongly and if it was a mistake, will "own up" immediately. I suggest you read the accusations and responses to such. especially in the lawsuit
Old 09-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Sage

I am desperatrly trying to stay on topic but since I keep asking folks to provide some link or back up...I offer this on Covington and the quotes are from legal documents

"The suit claimed there were "no less than six false and defamatory articles" in the newspaper about the encounter, which had gone viral almost immediately.

In his 36-page ruling, U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman examined each of the 33 statements in question and found none of them to be defamatory and the vast majority to be quoting opinion, which is protected free speech."

Judge dismisses Covington Catholic student's suit against Washington Post | NCR
Old 09-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
AGAIN.....would you provide example PLEASE. NEWS that was purposely faked. I would be interested as we use that term, at least it appears so, to apply to news we do not like.....but true
CNN controversies - Wikipedia

The 7 Worst Examples of Fake News From the Mainstream Media

Duke lacrosse case - Wikipedia

The Washington Post - Wikipedia

The New York Times - Wikipedia

19 'Hate Crimes' in Trump Era That Were Hoaxes, Complicated

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-15-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
sun, daily, start, found, reported

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.