The Daily Sun

The Daily Sun

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

It is a decent feel good newsletter for local happenings. Good to know what local entertainment items are coming up .. not just the squares, but also the Sharon, Savannah, movies etc, which restaurants are running specials, fundraisers (like yesterdays Honor Flight at Codys Brownwood), blood drives etc .. I've also learned the word neuropathy, which seems to appear on every other page in the paper. The circulation people are outstanding, making it easy to turn delivery off and on. Unlike other people, I like the Thursday inclusion of recreation news in print, vs having to eye strain it online. Most days, its a quick ten minute scan, unless I'm having trouble with the word jumble. It's also great for short term tenants and snowbirds. I get my outside the bubble news and sports in other places.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:08 PM

I'm about to become a new resident.

When I've visited prior to purchasing a new home, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Daily Sun. The newspaper is quite useful for newcomers or those considering a move to The Villages.

Our local Portland Oregonian pales in comparison; it is suffering like most of the newspapers across the US.

Fortunately we also have home delivery here in Oregon of the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times. And online I have access to the Washington Post.

Even with those newspapers available to me everyday, even when I travel, none of them reports "all the news".

My only complaint with the Daily Sun is that there is not on-line, complete version of the paper. I have talked to reporters and office personnel at the Daily Sun office in Brownwood asking them why not. Thus far, it's a business decision for them. I encouraged them to consider a complete replica edition for travelers like me.

I do get the daily email summary, so it helps a little.

Mike

Last edited by M2inOR; 09-12-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
I'm about to become a new resident.

When I've visited prior to purchasing a new home, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Daily Sun. The newspaper is quite useful for newcomers or those considering a move to The Villages.

Our local Portland Oregonian pales in comparison; it is suffering like most of the newspapers across the US.

Fortunately we also have home delivery here in Oregon of the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times. And online I have access to the Washington Post.

Even with those newspapers available to me everyday, even when I travel, none of them reports "all the news".

My only complaint with the Daily Sun is that there is not on-line, complete version of the paper. I have talked to reporters and office personnel at the Daily Sun office in Brownwood asking them why not. Thus far, it's a business decision for them. I encouraged them to consider a complete replica edition for travelers like me.

I do get the daily ************* email summery, so it helps a little.

Mike
I agree with you about the lack of availability of an on-line complete version of the Daily Sun. For part-time residents/snowbirds, I bet there would be an interest in an online subscription service.

I also enjoy reading the Daily Sun when I am visiting TV.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 PM

Is the World Rugby Cup reported anywhere in the U.S.? If so, why?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Is the World Rugby Cup reported anywhere in the U.S.? If so, why?
I remember when I was younger and on a road trip south. I stopped in a town where a man started up a conversation with me. He told me that he had three cars, one was an older Cadillac. He was so proud of it. I asked him where has he travelled and he said oh, as far as 3 miles away.

Yes, that’s why.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 AM

We enjoy the advice columns, the puzzle page and the local news. The national news coverage is good without the fake news in most of the “real” newspapers.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:02 PM
TOTV Moderator

We have long since lost the intent of the original thread which is how the Daily Sun is viewed as a news source. Thread has devolved into a personal and political discussion.

Thread closed...after cleanup of off topic and political posts.

Closed Thread

Tags
sun, daily, start, found, reported