Daily Sun circulation - increasing or decreasing?

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage
Default Daily Sun circulation - increasing or decreasing?

Which numbers are you going to believe?

From the Online News site, Oct. 2, 2018:
"A publisher's statement printed in Tuesday's edition of The Villages Daily Sun shows the newspaper's circulation has dipped."

<snip>

"The 'Statement of Ownership, Management and Circulation' appeared in 6-point type buried in the back of Tuesday's Sports section.

"It stated the newspaper's daily circulation as of Sept. 26 is 43,610. The publisher's statement from Sept. 25, 2016 indicated a daily circulation of 44,936. The publisher's statement from Oct. 1, 2014 indicated a daily circulation of 43,938."

<snip>

"Many of the Daily Sun copies that are counted as paid circulation aren't going to homes, but rather are complimentary copies made available through the sales centers and businesses such as Citizens First Bank."

From The Villages Daily Sun, Nov. 21, 2018:
"This week the Daily Sun marked its 21st consecutive year of circulation growth as verified by the Alliance for Audited Media, the industry standard for ensuring transparency among media companies and trust among advertisers.

"The Daily Sun is now the fifth largest newspaper in Florida, behind only the Tampa Bay Times, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Orlando Sentinel and the Palm Beach Post.

"The growth news comes while online sites struggle to win over subscribers and advertisers. The Daily Sun maintains a 92 percent daily market penetration, and 97 percent of residents read the newspaper at least once each week."
Old 11-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Default Nothing but Advertising

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post

"A publisher's statement printed in Tuesday's edition of The Villages Daily Sun shows the newspaper's circulation has dipped."

<snip>

"The 'Statement of Ownership, Management and Circulation' appeared in 6-point type buried in the back of Tuesday's Sports section.

"It stated the newspaper's daily circulation as of Sept. 26 is 43,610. The publisher's statement from Sept. 25, 2016 indicated a daily circulation of 44,936. The publisher's statement from Oct. 1, 2014 indicated a daily circulation of 43,938."

"Many of the Daily Sun copies that are counted as paid circulation aren't going to homes, but rather are complimentary copies made available through the sales centers and businesses such as Citizens First Bank."

"This week the Daily Sun marked its 21st consecutive year of circulation growth as verified by the Alliance for Audited Media, the industry standard for ensuring transparency among media companies and trust among advertisers.

"The Daily Sun is now the fifth largest newspaper in Florida, behind only the Tampa Bay Times, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Orlando Sentinel and the Palm Beach Post.

"The growth news comes while online sites struggle to win over subscribers and advertisers. The Daily Sun maintains a 92 percent daily market penetration, and 97 percent of residents read the newspaper at least once each week."
The Sun publishes no real news at all, I signed up for a one year subscription and after a few months realized it truly wasn’t a newspaper. So I started giving it to my neighbor. It’s worthless and not anything of value is printed on the paper it’s a waste of paper
Old 11-22-2018, 09:24 AM

It depends on what you want in a newspaper. It gives me a lot of information about people and events here and I use the ads all the time. For me, it’s quite useful.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Not a "real" newspaper - it is CHEAP
Old 11-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage

Simply not true. They publish a number of national news articles off the wires. I guess you aren't interested in national news. They have a pretty good sports section including coverage of the local sports teams. The Friday automotive section is pretty good. They publish a number of local articles about The Villages each week. Granted, some of these are "developer focused". Most of the material is available through other on-lines sources but many people prefer to read on paper and not on a computer monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
The Sun publishes no real news at all, I signed up for a one year subscription and after a few months realized it truly wasn’t a newspaper. So I started giving it to my neighbor. It’s worthless and not anything of value is printed on the paper it’s a waste of paper
Old 11-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Sage

I wonder how many are daily subscriptions delivered to homes within The Villages. There are about 60,000 homes in The Villages.

Quote:

<snip>

<snip>

Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:

<snip>

<snip>

Not sure why it makes any difference.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

I like the paper. I subscribe. It feels like a real newspaper to me.

Of course, I'm not sure what a fake newspaper feels like.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 11-22-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

I enjoy it, read it every day, like to read what's going on locally, sports, a little national and statewide news, nice break from cable news.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I like the paper. I subscribe. It feels like a real newspaper to me.

Of course, I'm not sure what a fake newspaper feels like.
It must be a real newspaper, the ink rubs off on my hands.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

From that “layed back”, little known and underestimated Philosopher Justjim: The Daily Sun “Is what it is”. As far as circulation, it likely goes up in Season and a bit down during the summer. The Developers recent “take over” hopefully will improve their digital paper for those of us who go on “vacation” during the summer months.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:31 PM
Sage

The " other site " which claims to be a daily news source has been stirring up this issue [ DS circulation] recently , wonder why ?
Yet the " other site " does not disclose its circulation , its ownership , its editors or its publishers , wonder why ?
Old 11-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
The " other site " which claims to be a daily news source has been stirring up this issue [ DS circulation] recently , wonder why ?
Yet the " other site " does not disclose its circulation , its ownership , its editors or its publishers , wonder why ?
I don't believe that online news sources are required to publically disclose their circulation numbers. At least not yet....
Old 11-22-2018, 03:32 PM

Just one of the reasons I unsubscribed was: THE PRINT WAS TOO SMALL TO READ.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:

<snip>

<snip>

I don’t know why you care, or really want to know. I know for a fact that advertisers rely on audited statements of circulation, breaking out between paid and unpaid (complimentary). Advertising decisions are made based on circulation and readership demographics.

Circulation can vary quite a bit, and as a business decision, a newspaper tries to increase its circulation prior to an audit. Makes sense to me to do so.

To me, your question sounds like you are skeptical of the numbers. If you care so much, request a copy of the most recent audit.

Tags
daily, circulation, sun, statement, publishers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.