Daily Sun circulation - increasing or decreasing?

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Veteran member

It doesn't surprise me that business competitors take potshots at each other.

I'm curious about the Sun's claim of being fifth largest in the state. This is from several years ago but the Sun would have to almost triple its stated figures to be fifth.

St. Petersburg Times – 239,684
Orlando Sentinel – 172,271
The Miami Herald – 151,612
South Florida Sun Sentinel – 149,892
The Tampa Tribune – 145,045
The Florida Times-Union – 108,926
The Palm Beach Post – 100,830
Sarasota Herald-Tribune – 66,352
The News-Journal – 63,902
Florida Today – 60,165

Other sites list the top 10 in order but don't provide circulation figures. This site has it at #17 and this one has it at #10
Old 11-22-2018, 06:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Both numbers and conclusions can be correct. One is reporting the monthly circulation, the other the circulation for a year. The "Happy Paper" is good for what it is - local news (mostly good), human interest stories, local sports, open house information, and coupons for local restaurants and golf courses. It is not the New York Times, but it is worth the price of a subscription.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
The Sun publishes no real news at all, I signed up for a one year subscription and after a few months realized it truly wasn’t a newspaper. So I started giving it to my neighbor. It’s worthless and not anything of value is printed on the paper it’s a waste of paper
Exactly what do you mean by real news.....the paper I get has National, International, local and regional news. The other question is where do you now get your real news?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Both numbers and conclusions can be correct. One is reporting the monthly circulation, the other the circulation for a year. The "Happy Paper" is good for what it is - local news (mostly good), human interest stories, local sports, open house information, and coupons for local restaurants and golf courses. It is not the New York Times, but it is worth the price of a subscription.
I agree! So many seem to be looking for a conspiracy or something to stir the pot over. We like The Sun for exactly what eweissenbach posted!!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I don't believe that online news sources are required to publically disclose their circulation numbers. At least not yet....
Not saying that they are required to do so .

However , given that their primary focus seems to be on
The Developer , issues within this community and The Daily Sun it seems to be unprofessional that they do not disclose
who they are as any print publication would .

Their primary MO is to stir things up such that many of their " readers " get online and fight with one another .
So what are they hiding ?
Old 11-23-2018, 04:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Hope they sort this out soon, regarding circulation.
I haven't been able to sleep for weeks worrying about it!
Old 11-23-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Hope they sort this out soon, regarding circulation.
I haven't been able to sleep for weeks worrying about it!
Old 11-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
It doesn't surprise me that business competitors take potshots at each other.

I'm curious about the Sun's claim of being fifth largest in the state. This is from several years ago but the Sun would have to almost triple its stated figures to be fifth.

St. Petersburg Times – 239,684
Orlando Sentinel – 172,271
The Miami Herald – 151,612
South Florida Sun Sentinel – 149,892
The Tampa Tribune – 145,045
The Florida Times-Union – 108,926
The Palm Beach Post – 100,830
Sarasota Herald-Tribune – 66,352
The News-Journal – 63,902
Florida Today – 60,165

Other sites list the top 10 in order but don't provide circulation figures. This site has it at #17 and this one has it at #10
I just read yesterday, cannot remember where, that it had the third largest distribution in Florida. (After Tampa Bay Times and Miami Sun Sentinel)
Old 11-23-2018, 10:40 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

It is well known newspapers across the United States are “Struggling”. Small papers have closed, consolidated or reduced publishing days. Even large well known papers are having circulation and “cost” issues. Younger Americans have gone digital. We are “Old school” and enjoy reading The Daily Sun in print as we nurse a couple cups of coffee and eat our yogurt. We get digital news from several sources including our former hometown newspaper but nothing in our opinion beats a cup of coffee and the local newspaper in print.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
It is well known newspapers across the United States are “Struggling”. Small papers have closed, consolidated or reduced publishing days. Even large well known papers are having circulation and “cost” issues. Younger Americans have gone digital. We are “Old school” and enjoy reading The Daily Sun in print as we nurse a couple cups of coffee and eat our yogurt. We get digital news from several sources including our former hometown newspaper but nothing in our opinion beats a cup of coffee and the local newspaper in print.
Amen.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default The Sun

Mary and I are thankful that we didn't have to worry about the circulation on the sun on Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Veteran member

I enjoy reading my newspaper in the morning. For years I’ve read the morning paper at night when I got home from work. The first thing I look for in the morning is my paper and my cup of coffee. That’s the reward for working all those years. I save enough on the coupons in stores and of dinner specials too easily offset the price of the newspaper
Old 11-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I absolutely agree with the above post. I hate reading didgital news, nothing like going out to the birdcage with a cup of coffee, putting on my cheaters, and reading an old fashion newspaper. I don't like reading a paper that is not actually on paper! Pretty soon, actual news printed on paper will go the way of blockbuster video rentals. The Daily Sun will be one of the last real newspapers to disappear, because of the demographics of the Villages as well as the circulation penetration and associated advertising revenue. Where we also live, up north, the price of printed newspapers has tripled in the last couple of years. The publishers are trying to shoehorn everyone into subscribing didgitaly. Not me, I would rather cancel. We always look forward to reading the very affordable and reliable Daily Sun when we are lucky enough to get to our Villages home.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I absolutely agree with the above post. I hate reading didgital news, nothing like going out to the birdcage with a cup of coffee, putting on my cheaters, and reading an old fashion newspaper. I don't like reading a paper that is not actually on paper! Pretty soon, actual news printed on paper will go the way of blockbuster video rentals. The Daily Sun will be one of the last real newspapers to disappear, because of the demographics of the Villages as well as the circulation penetration and associated advertising revenue. Where we also live, up north, the price of printed newspapers has tripled in the last couple of years. The publishers are trying to shoehorn everyone into subscribing didgitaly. Not me, I would rather cancel. We always look forward to reading the very affordable and reliable Daily Sun when we are lucky enough to get to our Villages home.
I have subscribed to the Kansas City Star online for about ten years, ever since they quit delivering daily to my rural lake home. I pay 99 cents per month and I get the paper on my laptop or Ipad in the same format as on paper. I get it the same whether I am in The Villages, in Kansas City, or on vacation elsewhere. Last week my wife asked me to pick up a print version of the Sunday paper because she wanted the ads. I took a paper to the cashier and almost feinted when it rung up at four dollars. I asked the cashier if that was right and then I looked at the masthead and saw it was. No wonder the printed newspapers are losing circulation between raising prices and curtailing their delivery routes. I have become a happy digital subscriber.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:15 AM

The New York Times did a piece on the Sun’s rising circulation a few months back:

Print Is Dead? Not Here - The New York Times

I think I believe them a little more than villages online news and their repeated pot shots at the Sun.
Closed Thread

Tags
daily, circulation, sun, statement, publishers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.