Daily Sun misses the boat...

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2021, 05:16 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down Daily Sun misses the boat...

Today is one of the biggest days in sports history. It's the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby ! Yeah! It's the longest continuously held sporting event in the world.

Think the Daily Snooze would list the 20 horses in the race and maybe the moring line odds? Nope! Just a quick article they bought from the Associated Press and a local interest story.

Not worth the paper it's printed on.

Skip
Old 05-01-2021, 05:21 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Today is one of the biggest days in sports history. It's the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby ! Yeah! It's the longest continuously held sporting event in the world.

Think the Daily Snooze would list the 20 horses in the race and maybe the moring line odds? Nope! Just a quick article they bought from the Associated Press and a local interest story.

Skip
Then do not buy it. Simple fix.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

They probably needed to run another article praising the developer.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
and they printed nothing during the America's Cup - the World's oldest international sporting competition (1851)
Old 05-02-2021, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

I wrote the sports editor last week and asked if you have finally finished your move into your new facility why are the majority of baseball games listed as night games and therefore no box scores are provided even though they were played on the east coast... the response was that the old deadline of midnight was change to 9PM and then to 10PM ... but that the dead line was still an open issue
Old 05-02-2021, 06:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Today is one of the biggest days in sports history. It's the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby
Not really.
Like the Oscars...........fewer watching every year.
Plenty of online info for you.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Doesn't bother me. In fact I'd prefer less coverage on television and other media of the Derby, America's Cup, Daytona 500 and the Indy 500.

I couldn't care less about any of them. I think that more and more people feel this way.

I think that it's hard to get excited about a sporting event when you have no connection to it. In team sports like baseball, football, basketball and hockey the teams represent a city or region. I know that the players on these teams don't come from the places that they represent but most sports fans feel a connection to their home town team.

It's the same for college sports. You want to see your college team or your kid's or parent's college team do well. You might also feel a connection to a college team from your home town.

But in sports like The Kentucky Derby, unless you've placed a bet, you don't really care who wins. Most people don't care. I look at the internet to see who the winner is but it's not like I really give a hoot.

The only exception it comes to the Belmont Stakes, if the horse has won both the K Derby and the Preakness. Then we're looking a history possibly being made. That's one fo the reasons Tiger Woods was so popular. People who had no interest in golf were suddenly tuning in each week to the "Tiger Show" because they knew they were watching something special. It was something might only happen once in a lifetime. Maybe once ever.

The other exception is if you play a sport or have some other connection to it. Millions of people play golf and tennis and bowling so those sports get an audience.

I spent my life in the golf business so I enjoy watching golf. I watch the majors more than the run of the mill event because, again, history might be being made. Golf's majors and a few other tournaments are very exciting to me but I can understand how they are not to people that have never been involved in the game.

The same goes for tennis. I played a bit in my younger days but never seriously so I really have no interest. But I'm sure that there are millions of tennis players that tune in every week.

But unless you feel some kind of connection to a sport or a team most people have only a passing interest.

A 12-1 shot one this year. I saw that and thought "If only I had put $100,000 on that horse." But that's just a passing fantasy.

A few years back I was working at a club where the members had a Kentucky Derby pool. I was asked to get in and they drew horses. I won, but I didn't even watch the race. I wasn't even all that interested then. It was five or ten bucks and I thought, I'll throw it in and will probably lose.

I'm more interested in how to make a good mint julep.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

The villages paper is no different then many other . They assume and and rightly so that everyone interested will look at there phone or whatever they use . I like to gamble especially on football but I always check scores of all sports on my phone , I also have Espn + and the Athletic which gives you lots of stories on any sport your interested in , and FYI I had a $20 exacta on the derby yesterday $503 it wasn’t my only bet . I had $100 total exacta bets but all told a nice investment
Old 05-02-2021, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Doesn't bother me. In fact I'd prefer less coverage on television and other media of the Derby, America's Cup, Daytona 500 and the Indy 500.

I couldn't care less about any of them. I think that more and more people feel this way.

I think that it's hard to get excited about a sporting event when you have no connection to it. In team sports like baseball, football, basketball and hockey the teams represent a city or region. I know that the players on these teams don't come from the places that they represent but most sports fans feel a connection to their home town team.

It's the same for college sports. You want to see your college team or your kid's or parent's college team do well. You might also feel a connection to a college team from your home town.

But in sports like The Kentucky Derby, unless you've placed a bet, you don't really care who wins. Most people don't care. I look at the internet to see who the winner is but it's not like I really give a hoot.

The only exception it comes to the Belmont Stakes, if the horse has won both the K Derby and the Preakness. Then we're looking a history possibly being made. That's one fo the reasons Tiger Woods was so popular. People who had no interest in golf were suddenly tuning in each week to the "Tiger Show" because they knew they were watching something special. It was something might only happen once in a lifetime. Maybe once ever.

The other exception is if you play a sport or have some other connection to it. Millions of people play golf and tennis and bowling so those sports get an audience.

I spent my life in the golf business so I enjoy watching golf. I watch the majors more than the run of the mill event because, again, history might be being made. Golf's majors and a few other tournaments are very exciting to me but I can understand how they are not to people that have never been involved in the game.

The same goes for tennis. I played a bit in my younger days but never seriously so I really have no interest. But I'm sure that there are millions of tennis players that tune in every week.

But unless you feel some kind of connection to a sport or a team most people have only a passing interest.

A 12-1 shot one this year. I saw that and thought "If only I had put $100,000 on that horse." But that's just a passing fantasy.

A few years back I was working at a club where the members had a Kentucky Derby pool. I was asked to get in and they drew horses. I won, but I didn't even watch the race. I wasn't even all that interested then. It was five or ten bucks and I thought, I'll throw it in and will probably lose.

I'm more interested in how to make a good mint julep.
100% agree!!!
Old 05-02-2021, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:

Skip

With news online now I am surprised there are still printed papers.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Some of us old folks enjoying reading a paper along with breakfast.

When we are gone so are the papers. The tree union will be very happy.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:

Skip

Go on TVG, Twinspires, Daily Racing Form, or any of the networks covering the races. Easy fix
Old 05-02-2021, 04:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Our paper from Louisville, was coverage from front to back. The paper from Mid Michigan had a blurb page 8. Don’t subscribe to any Ocala horse country paper, wonder what it looked like.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Yesterday's news and weather delivered to your driveway.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Our paper from Louisville, was coverage from front to back. The paper from Mid Michigan had a blurb page 8. Don’t subscribe to any Ocala horse country paper, wonder what it looked like.
Do not know what was in the Ocala paper...

.... but I do remember watching THE 2021 DERBY WINNER sell, at the OBS in Ocala. for $1000 in 2019.
Closed Thread

Tags
daily, moring, line, odds, nope

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.