Daily Sun misses the boat...

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2021, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

You want them to send a reporter to all 3 Triple Crown races? Not that kind of paper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Today is one of the biggest days in sports history. It's the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby ! Yeah! It's the longest continuously held sporting event in the world.

Think the Daily Snooze would list the 20 horses in the race and maybe the moring line odds? Nope! Just a quick article they bought from the Associated Press and a local interest story.

Not worth the paper it's printed on.

Skip
Old 05-02-2021, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Hmmm, midgets cruelly whipping millionaires horses is one if the biggest days in sports history? NOT!
Old 05-02-2021, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
You want them to send a reporter to all 3 Triple Crown races? Not that kind of paper!
They do get most of their news from the AP so not hard to get it.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:46 PM

Basically, just a shill for the developers, their sales department, and a lot of ads.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:02 AM
Veteran member
Default U.K. has had them since the 15th and 16th Century! 👍 Look up Doncaster Racecourse

Quote:
Today is one of the biggest days in sports history. It's the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby ! Yeah! It's the longest continuously held sporting event in the world.

Think the Daily Snooze would list the 20 horses in the race and maybe the moring line odds? Nope! Just a quick article they bought from the Associated Press and a local interest story.

Skip
Look up the Doncaster Racecourse on Wikipedia 👍👍
Old 05-03-2021, 05:22 AM

Not everyone likes to look at a computer screen, tablet or phone to see what’s going on in the world and locally.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:17 AM

That's not all they have missed.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Doesn't bother me. In fact I'd prefer less coverage on television and other media of the Derby, America's Cup, Daytona 500 and the Indy 500.

I couldn't care less about any of them. I think that more and more people feel this way.

I think that it's hard to get excited about a sporting event when you have no connection to it. In team sports like baseball, football, basketball and hockey the teams represent a city or region. I know that the players on these teams don't come from the places that they represent but most sports fans feel a connection to their home town team.

It's the same for college sports. You want to see your college team or your kid's or parent's college team do well. You might also feel a connection to a college team from your home town.

But in sports like The Kentucky Derby, unless you've placed a bet, you don't really care who wins. Most people don't care. I look at the internet to see who the winner is but it's not like I really give a hoot.

The only exception it comes to the Belmont Stakes, if the horse has won both the K Derby and the Preakness. Then we're looking a history possibly being made. That's one fo the reasons Tiger Woods was so popular. People who had no interest in golf were suddenly tuning in each week to the "Tiger Show" because they knew they were watching something special. It was something might only happen once in a lifetime. Maybe once ever.

The other exception is if you play a sport or have some other connection to it. Millions of people play golf and tennis and bowling so those sports get an audience.

I spent my life in the golf business so I enjoy watching golf. I watch the majors more than the run of the mill event because, again, history might be being made. Golf's majors and a few other tournaments are very exciting to me but I can understand how they are not to people that have never been involved in the game.

The same goes for tennis. I played a bit in my younger days but never seriously so I really have no interest. But I'm sure that there are millions of tennis players that tune in every week.

But unless you feel some kind of connection to a sport or a team most people have only a passing interest.

A 12-1 shot one this year. I saw that and thought "If only I had put $100,000 on that horse." But that's just a passing fantasy.

A few years back I was working at a club where the members had a Kentucky Derby pool. I was asked to get in and they drew horses. I won, but I didn't even watch the race. I wasn't even all that interested then. It was five or ten bucks and I thought, I'll throw it in and will probably lose.

I'm more interested in how to make a good mint julep.
And writing lengthy posts.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Hmmm, midgets cruelly whipping millionaires horses is one if the biggest days in sports history? NOT!
“Midgets?” Wow! That was nasty.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:20 AM

Missed a canoe maybe. They could fit a year’s worth of news in a single canoe. I once subscribed to wrap fish in until I realized I didn’t fish and I was giving the paper to my neighbor who did.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:25 AM

Nex round of stimulus funding should include a mandatory iPad for old people.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Skip
Totally agree. I was disappointed also.

I realize that paper is really just a marketing tool for TV and not a real newspaper, but we still subscribe. We too still like a paper format, even though we are probably “dinosaurs”.

Hopefully they will do better for the next 2 legs of the Triple Crown. These races are a nice diversion from some of the other news in the world today.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:48 AM

Racing horses are abused more than just about any animal "sport". Check and see how many die or are put down. Way too much effort is put into this "sport". Just another way for humans too abuse animals. What are people looking for when they ride these animals to death
Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Skip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Then do not buy it. Simple fix.
Yes, an absolutely simple fix. We did it a couple of years back, haven't missed a thing, and never look back. There is so little in this newspaper....
Old 05-03-2021, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Skip
I don't agree. The Kentucky Derby brings wonderful memories to us. We watched it Saturday with great enjoyment and remember fun times being there.

There is usually one reason for vilifying The Daily Sun. ONE REASON. I think it does a good job and is not The New York Times or The Washington Post or even The Columbus Dispatch years ago.

Spruce buddy. Did you have money on the winner? We don't gamble so there is a huge difference between us and those that are interested in gambling. That may be the reason you were disappointed, but that information is available on TV and on line.

Tags
daily, moring, line, odds, nope

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.