Daily Sun online

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2020, 10:12 AM

The Sun is not a newspaper. (I was a journalism minor.) It’s a marketing tool that reflects the personal biases of the owners. That’s their right, but I won’t abet their work. I too have online subscriptions to three true newspapers. Print news is dying. They must either evolve or die.

Last edited by WindyCityzen; 03-07-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
Sun is a paper with nothing more than advertising. Worse paper I have ever read

YEP...
Old 03-07-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityzen View Post
The Sun is not a newspaper. (I was a journalism minor.) It’s a marketing tool that reflects the personal biases of the owners. That’s their right, but I won’t abet their work. I too have online subscriptions to three true newspapers. Print news is dying. They must either evolve or die.
Just please don’t say one of your unbiased subscriptions is to the New York Times.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
If companies don't evolve, they die.

Blockbusters
Polaroid
Toys R Us
Borders
Compaq
Don’t forget the post office, but they are surviving with the support of taxpayers.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Don’t forget the post office, but they are surviving with the support of taxpayers.
United States Postal Service - Wikipedia
Old 03-07-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Can you sign-up for online only?

Cost?

What do users think??..................Easy to move around?? All stories?? Advertising on the pages like the paper version??

Thanks

(haters need not reply)
I asked about an online version because I am away from my home in TV for months at a time and they said it wasn’t available. That is why I cancelled my subscription to Consumer Reports, they stopped their online version. Too bad
Old 03-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I wish the Sun was more of what some don't like.

But then it wouldn't be the Sun. I don't fault the placement of all of our activities and the not too rowdy views on the world.

I wish it would be more in the style and the sophistication of the New York Times with the lovely bias that fits this place and most of us..
Old 03-07-2020, 02:48 PM

An online edition will not kill the paper version, if, a big if, there is a subscription charge for the online version too.

A big part of the cost for newspapers are the printing and delivery costs. Subscriptions need to cover that.

Advertising typically covers the costs of staff - reporters, editors, salespeople, and other administration.

As for the negative Nellys here, no one forces you to subscribe to the paper. All publications have their faults. I try to find at least some good in everything. If I can't, I don't use, buy, or subscribe.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:08 PM

I don't think anyone was suggesting that The Sun should go to digital ONLY. Just that they should offer a digital option. I'd prefer that, too. I don't get home delivery because there's no way I'll read most of it most days and that's a lot of wasted paper. (And there's not even recycling south of 44!) Also, as has been stated, a whole lot of Villagers are snowbirds and would like to keep up with the news here while away. There IS a very limited online version that's free to view and I check that fairly regularly. I'd gladly pay to be able to access the whole paper online. I'd even be willing to pay for, say, twice a week delivery (probably Sunday and Thursday). They'd make money, not lose it, by offering that option.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityzen View Post
I suspect after your "minor" you never worked for a newspaper. All newspapers reflect the personal biases of their owners. The Sun does what it was designed to do and surprisingly, (I assume in your view) doesn't force anyone to take a subscription or support their biases when they move here. They don't need you or anyone else to abet their work (abet is the wrong word in this context). Also, any reason you didn't share your "true" newspapers?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-07-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Canceled my subscription over a year ago. Couldn't stand the feel-good stories that are either a blatant advertisement for TVs or have a decided lack of differing political slants. Any national or international news I had read 36 or more hours earlier on line. I now spend my $75.00 a year in a much more satisfying manner.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

As someone who spends more that half my time up north I really enjoy reading the Dailey Sun when we are at our Villages home. Compared to the politically left biased rags that are our only option up north (with the exception of the Boston Herald), the Sun is very moderate. From a lifetime of reading newspapers in Massachusetts my left arm is way stronger than my right arm because the paper is so heavily weighted to that side. It’s good, and healthy, to get a different and more balanced version of the news sometimes. And yes, the Sun has its daily feel good stories, some of which I enjoy and others that are just a little too self promoting. But the paper also has some good news stories, local, national and world. And I enjoy their sports and lifestyle sections.

Another thing I love about the Sun is that I can call them each time we are coming to our home and have delivery turned on and off so we never miss a paper when we are there, but never get charged for a paper when we are not. We only have to renew our very inexpensive one year subscription about every two and a half years. And they drop our paper in our driveway very early every morning. Up north we live in a rural area and our carrier puts our paper in a box about a mile up the road and when the weather is bad we usually don’t get a paper. And we don’t get credit for times when we put delivery on hold like the Sun happily does.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
Canceled my subscription over a year ago. Couldn't stand the feel-good stories that are either a blatant advertisement for TVs or have a decided lack of differing political slants. Any national or international news I had read 36 or more hours earlier on line. I now spend my $75.00 a year in a much more satisfying manner.
Man I wish I had your $75. a yr. newspaper that is worthless. Move here to the Dallas, TX. area & you could get everything thing you want in a paper. You can get it 7 days a week for only $520. a yr. & it looks like the USA Today, now, about 8 to 10 pages. I do agree though, TV does have more advertisements than news. Seriously, $75. sounds like a deal.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
I don’t often disagree with a post but with all due respect the Daily Sun has a good sports section (often with late night sports results)and a strong section on local news. You are correct about lots of ads but that is where a newspaper makes money in order to make a profit and stay in business. Their circulation is second to none when it comes to the percent of potential subscribers. The Daily Sun is not a newspaper with diverse opinion columnists. If a person is looking for that, I would recommend a digital paper from one of the larger “big city” publishers.

Since we go north for the summer, a digital edition would be nice. Could the Daily Sun be better? Of Course there is room for improvement. Bottom line - The Daily Sun in not the worst paper I have ever read.

Tags
online, daily, haters, version, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.