Daily Sun online

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2020, 07:14 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts
Default Daily Sun online

Can you sign-up for online only?

Cost?

What do users think??..................Easy to move around?? All stories?? Advertising on the pages like the paper version??

Thanks

(haters need not reply)
Old 03-06-2020, 09:58 AM

In a word, no.

I met with a manager/editor of the newspaper asking why there isn't an online edition of the newspaper.

I travel a lot, subscribe to several newspapers, and all have a complete online edition. There are web formatted stories, and even a replica edition, showing each page of the newspaper as it appears on print.

This is something the Daily Sun has discussed internally. The manager even asked if I would speak to the issue with a video request. At one of the lifestyle expos in December, I did exactly that, and the video and my contact info was circulated within their business office.

In that video I showed how the New York Times, the WSJ, and my local Portland Oregonian all did that. Print subscribers get both digital and printed papers with their subscriptions. Some get digital only, which saves the newspapers money since they don't have to deliver the newspaper. Printing and delivery are some of the highest incremental costs.

Who knows, someday it may be offered.

All that said, the subscription cost for the paper is extremely low.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
In a word, no.

I met with a manager/editor of the newspaper asking why there isn't an online edition of the newspaper.

I travel a lot, subscribe to several newspapers, and all have a complete online edition. There are web formatted stories, and even a replica edition, showing each page of the newspaper as it appears on print.

This is something the Daily Sun has discussed internally. The manager even asked if I would speak to the issue with a video request. At one of the lifestyle expos in December, I did exactly that, and the video and my contact info was circulated within their business office.

In that video I showed how the New York Times, the WSJ, and my local Portland Oregonian all did that. Print subscribers get both digital and printed papers with their subscriptions. Some get digital only, which saves the newspapers money since they don't have to deliver the newspaper. Printing and delivery are some of the highest incremental costs.

Who knows, someday it may be offered.

All that said, the subscription cost for the paper is extremely low.

Thanks for the info.

I'll drop them a note in support of online.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

I asked also. I get my newspapers, all of them, online. When I called The Daily Sun I was told there is not enough readership at this time to warrant the cost. I use the paper version under my canvases after reading.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-06-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage

This is an interesting discussion. Keep this factoid in mind ... the Daily Sun is building a new printing plant in the new industrial park near Coleman. Hmmm, they seem to be focused on print, not digital.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,028 Times in 2,726 Posts

I hope they never go on-line only. I really enjoy going out in our birdcage and sitting in my lounge chair, next to the pool and reading a printed paper. The glair from the sun makes it very difficult to read my iPad when sitting outside. I also very much look forward to the Recreation news in print every Thursday. That sits right next to my chair in the house until the next weeks version comes. I check it almost daily to determine which sports pool has good lap swimming times available so I can schedule my days activities. An online version would be nice when not at the Villages, but I really like having a printed version in my driveway when I wake up each morning.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:49 PM

As a long-time subscriber to 'E' (Electronic) USA TODAY (over a decade) and former subscriber to (electronic editions of) AZ Republic / Seattle Times and even little ones like the Sumter Co Times, The Villages Daily Sun is an ideal paper for an electronic subscription.

The low subscription price has no bearing on not wanting an electronic edition.

There exists two software programs for electronic newspapers:
1 - Olive - used by USA TODAY & Seattle Times
2 - TECHNAVIA - used by AZ Republic
(Olive is superior in my opinion)

Randy S Mitchell
The Villages, FL
Old 03-07-2020, 06:35 AM

Most newspapers offer both versions. For a snowbirds it offers an easy way to stay on top of things during the time they are away and would be a bonus to the newspapers advertisers as well
Old 03-07-2020, 06:39 AM

Sun is a paper with nothing more than advertising. Worse paper I have ever read
Old 03-07-2020, 07:52 AM
Michael Charles

The Daily Sun employs many individuals. From the executive staff to the folks that bag the papers and sometimes double bag for delivery (they arrive at the plant around 3a.m.) in inclement weather. I briefly worked there and I was very surprised how much work goes into the production and the distribution. Writers submit the articles, editors edit, salespeople sell ads, staff work to place those ads in the pages, shipping & receiving staff work hard to receive 50 plus rolls of paper M-F, they also receive all of the many pallets of inserts that go into the paper, the staff that sort those inserts then the printing staff who actually run the massive printing presses, the maintenance staff who keep those presses running, they used 2 warehouse with 4 forklifts, they recycle lots of various paper products from the entire process, they have 4 small trucks to deliver various other publications that are delivered from Palm Coast down to Melbourne, over to Sarasota, Tampa and Land 'O Lakes. This is a very large yet small newspaper/printing company. The ads they sell pay ALL those wonderful people. IMHO if The Daily Sun goes digital, a lot of wonderful people will lose their jobs. One more thing, the owner of the paper makes a decent return on their investment while providing a lot of decent paying jobs with very good benefits.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
The Daily Sun employs many individuals. From the executive staff to the folks that bag the papers and sometimes double bag for delivery (they arrive at the plant around 3a.m.) in inclement weather. I briefly worked there and I was very surprised how much work goes into the production and the distribution. Writers submit the articles, editors edit, salespeople sell ads, staff work to place those ads in the pages, shipping & receiving staff work hard to receive 50 plus rolls of paper M-F, they also receive all of the many pallets of inserts that go into the paper, the staff that sort those inserts then the printing staff who actually run the massive printing presses, the maintenance staff who keep those presses running, they used 2 warehouse with 4 forklifts, they recycle lots of various paper products from the entire process, they have 4 small trucks to deliver various other publications that are delivered from Palm Coast down to Melbourne, over to Sarasota, Tampa and Land 'O Lakes. This is a very large yet small newspaper/printing company. The ads they sell pay ALL those wonderful people. IMHO if The Daily Sun goes digital, a lot of wonderful people will lose their jobs. One more thing, the owner of the paper makes a decent return on their investment while providing a lot of decent paying jobs with very good benefits.
I disagree with the last part. I believe the people who get the printed paper would stay with that, while those of us who travel so much would pay to subscribe to the online paper, adding more jobs.

You can't even sign up for or suspend the paper online, and that would cost little or nothing to provide.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
IMHO if The Daily Sun goes digital, a lot of wonderful people will lose their jobs. One more thing, the owner of the paper makes a decent return on their investment while providing a lot of decent paying jobs with very good benefits.

If companies don't evolve, they die.

Blockbusters
Polaroid
Toys R Us
Borders
Compaq
Old 03-07-2020, 09:26 AM

Really love the Daily Sun! Well organized. Lots of local articles. I enjoy the puzzles etc too. Just a good read!
Have never like online newspapers.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:04 AM
Default Daily Sun Paper bad idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Can you sign-up for online only?

Cost?

What do users think??..................Easy to move around?? All stories?? Advertising on the pages like the paper version??

Thanks

(haters need not reply)
I would not support this paper. They charge advertisers rates that are 3 time higher then need be and that results in higher cost to readers who buy those products and services .
Old 03-07-2020, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aallbrand View Post
I would not support this paper. They charge advertisers rates that are 3 time higher then need be and that results in higher cost to readers who buy those products and services .

Two things:
(1) (haters need not reply).....................you missed this.

(2) advertisers must see value, they keep spending their money.

Tags
online, daily, haters, version, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.