Daily Sun prints what the developer wants!

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default To Some Degree...What's New?

I've come to know a reporter on The Daily Sun, and I have also communicated with both reporters and columnists of a couple of other big city daily papers. They all say essentially say the same thing..."of course the content of what a reporter or columnist writes has to satisfy the desires of the newspaper's owner and his appointed publisher and editors". But they all go on to say that the owner/publisher/editor can't require those writing for their papers to lie or in any way misrepresent the truth. Even a demand by the owner of media to tell only one side of a story violates the principles of good jounalism.

They all explain that it's always a greater struggle for the news reporters, who sometimes would like to include more information or news from the side counter to the owner's. They all explain that the "counter" news is never completely eliminated, but sometimes it is presented with less emphasis than the reporter might like. But like a lot of businesses, if he wants to keep his job, he must keep the boss happy.

The issue is a lot more defined when it comes to columnists. One reminded me that unlike reporters, a columnist's job is to write articles and opinion that create controversy among the publication's readers. One explained to me that many readers don't understand the difference between reporters and columnists and often accuse the publication of one-sidedness after reading the writings of columnists.

The Morse family, the developer of The Villages, clearly wants their media (the Daily Sun, WVLG and VNN) to emphasize the friendly lifestyle of TV as well as their own political preferences in both the choice of news articles, but particularly in the choice of syndicated columnists. The "news" is always decidedly local and designed to emphasize the wonderful lifestyle we all enjoy here. The opinion and columnists chosen by the owner/developer is always pretty far to the right--their preference which they have every right to present.

They own the media and have the right to orient their editorial staff in the direction they wish to emphasize. As readers, our choice is to read the publication or not, to listen or view WVLG and VNN, or not. There are alternatives, of course. CNN or Fox are excellent news sources; USA Today or the Orlando Sentinal can be used for news. And even though it's not available via home delivery, the New York Times is readily available in TV.

My earlier criticism in this topic had to do with the absence of attribution or contact information for articles published in the POA Reporter. Others have expressed opinions one way or the other about both the Reporter as well as The Daily Sun. I just think it's quite important for all of us to understand what the balance is between the rights of the owners of media and their responsibility for sound journalism.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Daily Sun prints what the developer wants!

Well said, Kahuna. A person owes it to himself to read all sides of an issue, no matter how mad they may make you. The responsibility is yours, not that of the writer and publisher.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 12-17-2007, 12:48 PM

Franny, Have you ever posted anything that isn't negative? Enjoy life I will when I get there.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

BUC, sorry, but I think your comment was uncalled for. While Fran's comments may not always be the most positive, her love of TV shines through. Further, if you review her posts, there have been several that are in fact positive. She's also quick to admit when she has been in error and gracious in her apologies. Let's hope you can be as gracious.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Maybe newspapers can't lie, but they sure can mangle the truth. They put articles that support their positions on the front page and articles that are against their positions on page 88. Take any unpopular political position and read about it in opposing papers and you will swear it is two different stories. The NY Slime and the Washington Compost are masters at it. Or just watch the same exact news story on CNN and FOX news. It will come out as two completely different sets on information. Call me a cynic, but I am at the point of not watching any news show or reading any papers because ALL news is so biased I can't believe any of it. The media does not provide accurate information, only information to support their views on a given subject. If you really want to understand the truth about any topic, you need to seek out information that supports both sides of an issue and read both with an open mind then you might be close to the correct picture.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd
Maybe newspapers can't lie, but they sure can mangle the truth. They put articles that support their positions on the front page and articles that are against their positions on page 88. Take any unpopular political position and read about it in opposing papers and you will swear it is two different stories. The NY Slime and the Washington Compost are masters at it. Or just watch the same exact news story on CNN and FOX news. It will come out as two completely different sets on information. Call me a cynic, but I am at the point of not watching any news show or reading any papers because ALL news is so biased I can't believe any of it. The media does not provide accurate information, only information to support their views on a given subject. If you really want to understand the truth about any topic, you need to seek out information that supports both sides of an issue and read both with an open mind then you might be close to the correct picture.
Google and other search engines sure makes getting a lot of information on a particular subject much easier. Probably not on something like news events in TV unless they are of interest to a national and international audience like the February 2, 2007 tornado.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
BUC, sorry, but I think your comment was uncalled for. While Fran's comments may not always be the most positive, her love of TV shines through. Further, if you review her posts, there have been several that are in fact positive. She's also quick to admit when she has been in error and gracious in her apologies. Let's hope you can be as gracious.
I second that - keep posting Fran!

Chuck
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca
I second that - keep posting Fran!

Chuck

TOTV should be open to all kinds of viewpoints. If you do not like someone's posts, you can skip over them.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Eternal Member

I agree! Keep posting Fran! There are several peoples posts I look forward to reading and yours are at the top of the list.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac

TOTV should be open to all kinds of viewpoints. If you do not like someone's posts, you can skip over them.
nah, there should only be posts from people who agree with me......

Wow doesn't that sound really stupid!

I agree wholeheartedly with Taltarzac, this forum should be open to all kinds of viewpoints, otherwise it would be really, really boring.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

Here is my latest experience with home inspectors, as of last week...

They work for whoever hires them. They are like attorneys. If something is "marginal", it will be found on behalf of the client. If there is a typo in their report, it will be found to benefit the client. In my case, the buyer of my home hired a home inspector. He made a list of 5 things, 2 of which had nothing to do with codes, health, safety or even aesthetics. For example, a bulb was burned out in one of the three lights of a track light. He worded it "track light is not functioning properly." Another: "Numerous nail pops on shingle roof." This phrase was left over from a previous report - a cut and paste omission. There was one nail pop on the roof that I had already repaired. I'm glad I didn't hire a roofer at $150 to find NOTHING. Inspectors are hired and paid to find "something." But they may make a mountain out of a molehill.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 12-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Gold member

Fran, I would miss your post and seeing your picture. Keep on posting all of your thoughts and comments. That is what a Forum is all about.

By offering another viewpoint, makes some people think.

I agree with everyone who feels you should keep posting, and that is the majority on this thread.

Hyacinth Bucket
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.