Daily Sun - What happened to the Opinion Pages?

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 08:22 AM
Default Daily Sun - What happened to the Opinion Pages?

One of the primary reasons I subscribe to the DS is for the opinion pages. I like to read Walt Williams, Malkim, Stossel, Charon, etc to get different perspectives on current events. I recognize that the DS is a Developer marketing tool, but I really don’t care that another Villager got a hole in one, or that a certain club event starts at 9am.
Are we now being censored?
Old 10-15-2020, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Still in the paper front section on the last pages called the conservative corner.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Some are still there but appears to be less columnists.

Strange to have a paper with no editorial page. Would be interesting to see what the developer thinks about things going on via his newspaper.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I still read the villages paper , but many of the wire stories I’ve read the day before , but there’s still thing of interest , but I do read much of 4 or 5 newspapers usually in the morning ehile in lanai. I try to include at least one European paper and always the South China Post , newspapers allow you to read different slants on issues and give you a chance to know how other people in the world are living and feeling , people now spend more time only looking at what they believe and unfortunately thinking that nobody else good have an idea worth listening to
Old 10-16-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

funny...just this morning I was thinking "why are there never any 'letters to the Editor' ....then realized there is no editorial page section

DS is becoming more and more fluff and advertisements

I also miss the political cartoons that were in at least once a week a few years ago....guess they discontinued them to make room so all the poets that we have in TV could say that they have been published (kind of like a participation trophy for old people)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Subscription to The Daily Sun continues to be optional.......
Old 10-16-2020, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villag View Post
One of the primary reasons I subscribe to the DS is for the opinion pages. I like to read Walt Williams, Malkim, Stossel, Charon, etc to get different perspectives on current events. I recognize that the DS is a Developer marketing tool, but I really don’t care that another Villager got a hole in one, or that a certain club event starts at 9am.
Are we now being censored?
one way to find out would be to call them
Old 10-16-2020, 12:11 PM
John41

We like the Daily Sun especially Dear Annie, Heloise and Jumble. Instead of watching fake news all day on TV the major news is in the first section, then the rest of the paper is fun stuff.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:44 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Let’s face it - most opinions are biased and generally have “motive” buried somewhere difficult if not impossible to find. Even knowing the Daily Sun is a major marketing tool of the Developer and the fact it only contains conservative opinions and doesn’t allow “other” opinions - still I choose to read it for what it is. I do wish the paper had a better on-line paper when I’m up north for a few short months as a Sunbird to visit relatives and friends in the summer. I get two other “Major” Newspapers on-line (inexpensive) so I get plenty of “diversity” news and columnists. As I’ve said before, “The Daily Sun is what it is”.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Let’s face it - most opinions are biased and generally have “motive” buried somewhere difficult if not impossible to find. Even knowing the Daily Sun is a major marketing tool of the Developer and the fact it only contains conservative opinions and doesn’t allow “other” opinions - still I choose to read it for what it is. I do wish the paper had a better on-line paper when I’m up north for a few short months as a Sunbird to visit relatives and friends in the summer. I get two other “Major” Newspapers on-line (inexpensive) so I get plenty of “diversity” news and columnists. As I’ve said before, “The Daily Sun is what it is”.
Strange that columnists are mostly conservative but wire service stories are liberal.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
funny...just this morning I was thinking "why are there never any 'letters to the Editor' ....then realized there is no editorial page section

DS is becoming more and more fluff and advertisements

I also miss the political cartoons that were in at least once a week a few years ago....guess they discontinued them to make room so all the poets that we have in TV could say that they have been published (kind of like a participation trophy for old people)
I have wondered the same thing. Especially since the paper publishes rules, in the VERY SMALL print at the top of the opinion page governing letters to the editor. Were letters to the editor a thing in the past? Maybe a long time resident knows.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

There used to be for many years letters to the editor but just like our current political bitterness they became worse and worse , just like on this site people were warned about things that were said and wouldn’t be printed . . I knew someone at paper , who said that so many letters became unprintable and so many complaints about why there letters weren’t printable , that it was just better to stop all the letters .yes I heard this from someone but just listening to people around villages that seem to be angry about everything I believe it
Closed Thread

Tags
opinion, pages, villager, care, don’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.