Daily Sun's "Fair & Balanced" Reporting

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is not a secret that the Morses are large contributors to the Republican party and it seems clear recently who they are endorsing. I wondered which of the front runners it would be.

For those new to the forum, no Democrat has been asked to speak at the squares.

I find that there are few who aren't passionate about their politicial views here and very few whose minds will be changed by debate.

I also think there are more moderates that are silent.

People will say that your politics doesn't matter here. But I really think it does matters here. We become quite sure of our opinions as we age.

However, I have never heard politics discussed at social events....unless the other attendees were sure your politics matched theirs.

And if you disagree please chime in, but don't be hurtful. Everyone is entitled to their views.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
I enjoy reading The Sun daily. I have my own political ideas and find it amusing that people believe that their rhetoric can sway my beliefs. I take what I want and leave the rest.
I am with you! I like the paper. I never read the political crap. I like to read about the people in TV, rec schedules, dinner specials, who is appearing at the Squares, people helping people, the local communities, high school sports, and this day in history. I just love this place! I am going to go get the paper in my driveway now to what is for dinner this evening. Have a happy day everyone!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
And if you disagree please chime in, but don't be hurtful. Everyone is entitled to their views.
And you are always welcome to join the POLITICAL forum if you enjoy all that political bantering.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-29-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
in today's Daily Sun on page A-1 above the fold, Mitt Romney coming to TV Monday for appearance at Square in LSL. Story with pictures on first page continued on page A-3.

Same "news" paper, on page C-1 in 2X3" Column on bottom left side, report that Newt Gingrich coming to TV Sunday, no picture. Reports he will be in parking lot near Barnes and Noble.

This is fair and balanced reporting?
Today (Sunday) Gingrich, with picture, on front page of Daily Sun.
What would this site do without conspiracy theories??
Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Today (Sunday) Gingrich, with picture, on front page of Daily Sun.
What would this site do without conspiracy theories??
Now someone will complain that the Romney story was above the fold and the Gingrich story was below the fold!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
in today's Daily Sun on page A-1 above the fold, Mitt Romney coming to TV Monday for appearance at Square in LSL. Story with pictures on first page continued on page A-3.

Same "news" paper, on page C-1 in 2X3" Column on bottom left side, report that Newt Gingrich coming to TV Sunday, no picture. Reports he will be in parking lot near Barnes and Noble.

This is fair and balanced reporting?
Fair and balanced would include mentioning a democratic candidate once in awhile. But the paper thinks we are too dumb to process differing opinions. This is a company town....
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
Fair and balanced would include mentioning a democratic candidate once in awhile. But the paper thinks we are too dumb to process differing opinions. This is a company town....
There's only one Democrat candidate, and I'm positive if he were to visit TV it would be in every Florida paper, including The Daily Sun.

I think the paper is what it is. It reflects the mindset of the publisher, as every other paper everywhere does.

For a long time now I've considered the famous New York Times as an editorially left wing political tool and stopped reading it, because they slyly print "news stories" which promote their liberal agenda.

I only search an article on line from time to time when it's referenced in one of the publications I do read and I want to know more detail than the excerpts I've read.

If you feel that way about the Daily Sun, I suggest you do likewise.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Sage

Railing against the political leanings of the Daily Sun is the same as ranting about the two-lane roundabouts, etc. And it will get you the same result, an ulcer.

What is the old saying?
Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default SPOTD Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Railing against the political leanings of the Daily Sun is the same as ranting about the two-lane roundabouts, etc. And it will get you the same result, an ulcer. What is the old saying?

Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Oh..........I think you've got the famous....or is it infamous?....award for today. It's early, I know.....but I've gotta do it....

You get the SWIMDAWG Post of the Day Award!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Railing against the political leanings of the Daily Sun is the same as ranting about the two-lane roundabouts, etc. And it will get you the same result, an ulcer.

What is the old saying?
I agree,don't waste your time trying to change political leanings,it's just not going to happen.We all like to vote for the best person,but unfortunately he or she is never a candidate.As far as i'm concerned all politicians and diapers should be changed frequently,and for the exact same reasons.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky blue View Post
I agree,don't waste your time trying to change political leanings,it's just not going to happen.We all like to vote for the best person,but unfortunately he or she is never a candidate.As far as i'm concerned all politicians and diapers should be changed frequently,and for the exact same reasons.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
The Morses donated $500,000.00 to the Romney PAC.

"(A new Super PAC created to support Mitt Romney raised $12.2 million in the first half of the year entirely from high-dollar contributors and spent just over $22,000, according to a report filed with the FEC.)

Renee Morse, who owns the Florida mega-retirement community, The Villages, gave $250,000 and the company matched that amount

I knew I liked the Morse family, now I like them even more!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Gold member

Freedom of the press comes from the 1st Amendment to the Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." There's not a word in there about any requirement for "fair and balanced" reporting. If you don't like the paper, you have every right not to buy it. And if you really don't like it, you can always start your own paper and compete with it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.