Daily Sun's "Fair & Balanced" Reporting

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Default Kudos to the Morse family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben007 View Post
I knew I liked the Morse family, now I like them even more!
Yes!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Sage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Freedom of the press comes from the 1st Amendment to the Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." There's not a word in there about any requirement for "fair and balanced" reporting. If you don't like the paper, you have every right not to buy it. And if you really don't like it, you can always start your own paper and compete with it.
And where in The Villages am I allowed to get on my soapbox and exercise my freedom of speech or petition the Government for a redress of grievances?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Old 01-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you live here, you must accept on some level that the newspaper reflects the political views of the developer who owns The Daily Sun. That is fine if you agree with those views and not so fine if you don't. Every newspaper I have read has a political slant.

It is what it is.
I agree with GG on this one.

I don't think The Daily Sun ever claimed to be "fair and balanced." They just "is what they is" and I always find it better for me (read less stressful) to take away what I want from it and leave the rest. It's the same approach I take when listening to a news channel who makes the claim of "fair and balanced."
Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
And where in The Villages am I allowed to get on my soapbox and exercise my freedom of speech or petition the Government for a redress of grievances?

You can get on a soapbox anywhere it is not private property. The town squares are private property but you could set your soapbox up in a parking space next to the square. You could rent a room at any of the Recreation centers. You could put your soapbox in your driveway, pay for an advertisement in the newspaper, offer free coffee and donuts, and you would get a standing room only crowd to hear you talk on any subject you want. Villagers would do almost anything for free coffee and donuts.

Last edited by buggyone; 01-30-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Sage

I am still waiting for the advertisement for your soapbox talk to come out in The Daily Sun. I prefer Bavarian Creme Donuts from Dunkin' Donuts and make my coffee kind of strong with a dollop of whipped cream on it.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Sage
Smile

I can't compete with Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich, so I'm waiting until after the election and still trying to come up with a topic. Any suggestions? If I'm hauled off to jail, then I'll know I have no first amendment rights while living in The Villages.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
in today's Daily Sun on page A-1 above the fold, Mitt Romney coming to TV Monday for appearance at Square in LSL. Story with pictures on first page continued on page A-3.

Same "news" paper, on page C-1 in 2X3" Column on bottom left side, report that Newt Gingrich coming to TV Sunday, no picture. Reports he will be in parking lot near Barnes and Noble.

This is fair and balanced reporting?
If I am not mistaken it is Fox News that claims to be "fair and balanced." The Daily Sun doesn't care to be "fair and balanced" and they aren't. No surprise to me.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I am still waiting for the advertisement for your soapbox talk to come out in The Daily Sun. I prefer Bavarian Creme Donuts from Dunkin' Donuts and make my coffee kind of strong with a dollop of whipped cream on it.
Sounds good to me ... the donuts and coffee that is!

The Villages Florida The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 PM

The Question by John King was a set up, CNN expected the reaction and how it would play out. It was expected that it would help Gingrich. They would much rather have
Newt than Mit against Obama.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 AM

Did somebody say there'd be free coffee and donuts?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Default I was wrong.

I thought that the front page of the NEWS section that day would include some reporting about the horrific accident that took place close to The Villages on I-75 that claimed ten lives and sent eighteen to the hospital. I was wrong.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post
I thought that the front page of the NEWS section that day would include some reporting about the horrific accident that took place close to The Villages on I-75 that claimed ten lives and sent eighteen to the hospital. I was wrong.
The OP was referring to Saturday's paper, I believe. The accident on I-75 happened very early Sunday morning. With the timing of everything, I don't think that news would have made it to print until Monday's edition.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.