what to do w/lanai when closing home

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Gold member
Default what to do w/lanai when closing home

Getting ready to head north. Now that we have enclosed our lanai, have question for those who leave. Do we leave one door cracked open a few inches? Seems like it will get unbearably hot out there if we don't. Our lanai is most shady.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Seems like your home watch person would have these answers for you. However, yes, it does get hot with everything closed but do you really want rain to come pouring into your enclosed lanai? The heat doesn't hurt the lanai and, so long as no one is living there should be a non-issue.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:32 PM
Platinum member

Does mold become an issue with heat, humidity and lack of circulation in an enclosed lanai?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Hasn't in the houses I watch. I think humidity is a bigger problem when something is left open. If doors and windows have been installed properly, it seems to be okay.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Leave your ceiling fans on low. It will help circulate the air.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I close my shades turn on ceiling fan to circulate the air and leave lanai sliding door open.
I have not seen any significant increase in electric bill during summer months
Old 04-26-2015, 08:24 AM

What surprises me is the snowbirds who leave sheets over their furniture in the lanai or no furniture at all in the lanai. This to me just broadcasts, "There's nobody home of months, please come rob me." A light on a timer in your house wouldn't hurt either.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac321 View Post
What surprises me is the snowbirds who leave sheets over their furniture in the lanai or no furniture at all in the lanai. This to me just broadcasts, "There's nobody home of months, please come rob me." A light on a timer in your house wouldn't hurt either.
Maybe once the home is emptied of any cash, electronics, or jewelry, there's not much left for bad guys . When we leave, I think the only thing of value might be the TV, which would, clearly, arouse suspicion as its being carried out.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.