Dashcam video I took on Friday driving on Buena Vista

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
...So we all want to know the scoop on the type of camera you bought and where you got it.
The video looks very good. Was it a GoPro?...
Look back at post #11 on this thread. It's not a GoPro, but you could use a GoPro but that would entice someone to break into your car. There is a GoPro clone that is just about as good and much cheaper, it's the SJCAM SJ4000. It's available through on Amazon and eBay, however a large camera retailer in New York has it for $73 that I've used many times. Here's a link SJCAM SJ4000 Action Camera (Black) SJ4000B B&H Photo Video
Old 03-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for sharing the info John W!! How did you mount the camera? Suction mount to the windshield or something else?

I was thinking of getting something similar when I am driving the golf cart. We almost got taken out numerous times driving out golf cart from bonehead driving maneuvers from cars when in the cart path on the street.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Gold member

Here is a review link from Thewirecutter.com They have always provided non bias top notch reviews. I would go with their recommendation.

The Best Dash Cam | The Wirecutter
Old 03-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Whew! I drive a white convertible but it wasn't me in the video. I was driving on Morse Friday and someone stopped in the inside lane and just sat there while trying to decide what to do. They still didn't get right
Old 03-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
Here is a review link from Thewirecutter.com They have always provided non bias top notch reviews. I would go with their recommendation.

The Best Dash Cam | The Wirecutter
The G1W from your link was in my top 3 choices, but a slightly different version, the G1W-CB. It's same unit but the 'CB' stands for capacitor black. The 'B' means the silver ring on the front around lens is black, making it harder to see from the outside looking in. The 'C' stands for capacitor, which I had an mentioned in an earlier post about why I bought the unit I did. In Florida you don't want a unit with a battery, the heat inside the windshield can make them explode. Here's a link to a G1W-CB [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-G1W-CB-Capacitor-Dashboard/dp/B00P8F3LD0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427044016&sr=8-3&keywords=g1w-c+dashcam]Amazon.com : Black Box G1W-CB "Black Bezel" Capacitor Model Dashboard Dash Cam - Heat Resistant - Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Video Recorder - WDR 140° Wide Angle 4x Zoom with Motion Detection Night Vision G-Sensor - NT96650 + AR0330 [/ame]

I decided against the G1W-CB because it's fairly good size, it's probably 3 times bigger than the one I have. The best way to judge for yourself is to go on Youtube. There are hundreds of dashcam reviews, comparisons and side-by-side video from the units. Also, on Amazon there are many good written reviews.

There is a fellow in England that goes by the screen name 'Techmoan', and his indepth review of the B40 A118 unit that I bought sold me on the product. Here is his review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3eD...01328&index=39

Techmoan also has many great reviews on just about everything electronic, on dashcams alone he has 42 video reviews. Check him out from the link above.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the info John W!! How did you mount the camera? Suction mount to the windshield or something else?
If you get one of those units like the G1W-BC mentioned above, the suction cup is the best way. The B40 A118 that I use, comes with adhensive and sticks to the inside of the windshield near the top, right behind the rearview mirror is best. See the Techmoan's review from the link above, he gives good visual info on how to mount it.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Whew! I drive a white convertible but it wasn't me in the video. I was driving on Morse Friday and someone stopped in the inside lane and just sat there while trying to decide what to do. They still didn't get right
On Saturday afternoon we were driving to Brownwood (south on Buena Vista).
A man was stopped in the roundabout. He was standing outside his car reading a map.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

I am surprised he survived..............
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
Yes, I was wondering the same thing? Just curious about why you would want to record. Actually, would come in real handy should you have an accident.
In Florida at least, I don't think you can go running to court with that type of video since it is a two-party consent state:
It's definitely a neat device though and the video quality is much better than expected at that price.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Loved the music. Looks like someone needs a crash course in Driving 101. (Before there is a crash)
Old 03-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is almost April. Continue to drive as if everyone else is crazy, because they are. There will be less traffic soon and many of the folks brand new to circles will go home. I want you all to be here once the high season is over.

Great webcam John. Thank you so much.
I was wondering when the snowbirds would be blamed.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Either idiots or people who are not from around here. .
Hmmmmmmm. That's food for thought.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:59 PM

Sounds like John needs a job! Should apply at Neighborhood Watch!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
I was wondering when the snowbirds would be blamed.
It will be interesting to see if the roundabout complaints disappear once snowbirds head north for the summer!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
It will be interesting to see if the roundabout complaints disappear once snowbirds head north for the summer!
I don't know about that. Most of my close encounters in the RABs have been with vehicles with FL tags!
Old 04-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Gold member

I ended up buying the Transcend Unit from Amazon. Small in size and really great video quality. Suction cup mount allows me to easily move it from car to cart.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.