Day/DARK Savings??????

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Sage

from national geographic
TV Networks Lose, Golf Courses Win

Daylight savings time has some unexpected winners and losers when it comes to how Americans spend their time and money.

Research shows that given an extra hour of evening daylight, many Americans use the time to go out and do things rather than watch the television shows they'd normally view at that time.

Nielsen ratings during the hours impacted by the change show large declines during the first week of DST—as much as 10 to 15 percent, even for popular shows.

"If the sun sets at 7:00, then more people are inside at 7:00. If it sets at 8:00, more people are inside at 8:00," said David Prerau, author of the book Seize the Daylight: The Curious and Contentious Story of Daylight Saving Time.

"They are still going to watch some TV, they are just going to watch it later."

Theaters also take a hit, Prerau added. "When it's dark early, people may feel it's a good night to take in a play or a movie. But when it's going to be light until 8:00, they may decide to take a walk or do something outside."

That means recreational facilities from golf courses to garden supply centers see a spike when DST begins.

"That hour of evening light might make the difference whether somebody feels they have the time to go out and play tennis or start a garden, or whether they don't," Prerau said.

Criminals Hate Daylight Savings Time too
Old 03-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Does anyone really know what time it is? Does anyone really care?
Chicago does..

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

West Michigan is at the western edge of the eastern time zone. I loooooooooved DST there. By July it wasn't even dusk till 9:30. So warm (okay, for about 2 months), so beautiful, and so much water to be out on to watch the sunset.

I like DST. I agree it would be nice to have no changes, but let the permanent one be DST.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:02 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Didn't have it in Hawaii and never needed it. As I said before I just hate when I am in Seattle this time of year (never again) to see the kids go from waiting for the bus in the light to going back to waiting in the dark. The change a few years back in the date was a waste of money and effort. They can't agree on a budget any year but can pass a bill to mess with the clocks.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:41 PM

I think this sums it up.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	daylight_savings_time.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	49054  
Old 03-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck90199 View Post
I think this sums it up.
It sure does.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Didn't we stay on DST back in the 70s during the energy crisis because they said that it would save on electricity?
Yes, and I was using public transit to go from suburb to city. Had very hard time walking down our developent street as no light till main highway. Fortunately after a few weeks, "sun adjusted". Remember, we go on Daily Saving Time earlier now, used to be end of March.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Didn't we stay on DST back in the 70s during the energy crisis because they said that it would save on electricity?
yes and it was no fun going to an 8 oclock class in january an hour before sunrise....it was dangerous too
Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

until October 1st I hated DST since it took at least a week to get sleep oriented......this is the first year of retirement for me so no problem....as a friend who retired before me said, retirement is having a week that consists of 6 saturdays and a sunday
Old 03-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck90199 View Post
I think this sums it up.
Realy?
If you get up with the sun and you go to sleep when it gets dark as the Native Americans did, time doesn't matter.

The clocks and the industrial revolution changed all that in England and than here. I'm not so sure it was the governments. They may have reacted.

The US government stepped in to make sure all the clocks, trains and time zones were synced.

That was a good thing.

but i get your point
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.