Day/DARK Savings??????

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2015, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Day/DARK Savings??????

Wow, 7:25 and a little dark for 7:45 tee time...Need a Miner's hat for golf.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Default Daylight Savings time?

I am glad someone else does not like it when Daylight Savings time causes people in FL to have to wait until around 7:40 to see any sunlight. FL is so far west of the Eastern time zone that we get very late sunrises. AZ and HI have already passed laws that eliminate Daylight Savings time and I think FL should do it also. The changing of the clocks twice a year also causes people to have sleeping problems for awhile each time. I see very few benefits from Daylight Savings time and many more negatives. I think the residents of FL would be better off with Eastern Standard time all year long.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,392 Posts

I like it.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiserbud47 View Post
I am glad someone else does not like it when Daylight Savings time causes people in FL to have to wait until around 7:40 to see any sunlight. FL is so far west of the Eastern time zone that we get very late sunrises. AZ and HI have already passed laws that eliminate Daylight Savings time and I think FL should do it also. The changing of the clocks twice a year also causes people to have sleeping problems for awhile each time. I see very few benefits from Daylight Savings time and many more negatives. I think the residents of FL would be better off with Eastern Standard time all year long.
Ditto.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I say split the difference and push them back 1/2 hour this fall and leave them.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I say split the difference and push them back 1/2 hour this fall and leave them.

Excellent idea! I really dislike these back and forth 1 hour swings. Try telling your dog he has to wait an extra hour before he can go out and then eat.

Go Red Sox!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:22 PM

Oh for crying out loud! Twice a year it's the same ol'bi#@*ing. The dog will survive and make a later tee time!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

What about all the grandkids waiting for the bus in the dark.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
What about all the grandkids waiting for the bus in the dark.
Most of us that lived in the country did that and we turned out good; also, kids had to go get a switch when we did wrong and we caused nowhere near the problems kids do nowadays.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Oh for crying out loud! Twice a year it's the same ol'bi#@*ing. The dog will survive and make a later tee time!
The dog will survive. But I don't like it. Get over it.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Sage

I didn't have a problem adjusting to it. I changed all my clocks at 7:30 in the evening and I got up the next morning at my usual time.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiserbud47 View Post
. AZ and HI have already passed laws that eliminate Daylight Savings time and I think FL should do it also. The changing of the clocks twice a year also causes people to have sleeping problems for awhile each time. I see very few benefits from Daylight Savings time and many more negatives. I think the residents of FL would be better off with Eastern Standard time all year long.
I agree 100%. Tell the government to leave the clocks alone and let nature regulate how much daylight we have.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I agree 100%. Tell the government to leave the clocks alone and let nature regulate how much daylight we have.
I believe there is a bill before the FL legislature at this time to eliminate time changes. Here is some additional information since there is NO scientific data supporting changes one way or another. This was the concept of a person from New Zealand who wanted extra daylight to hunt butterflies.

Retailers, sporting goods makers, and other businesses benefit from extra afternoon sunlight, as it induces customers to shop and to participate in outdoor afternoon sports.[90] In 1984, Fortune magazine estimated that a seven-week extension of DST would yield an additional $30 million for 7-Eleven stores, and the National Golf Foundation estimated the extension would increase golf industry revenues $200 million to $300 million.[91] A 1999 study estimated that DST increases the revenue of the European Union's leisure sector by about 3%.[7]

Conversely, DST can adversely affect farmers,[75] parents of young children,[75] and others whose hours are set by the sun and they have traditionally opposed the practice,[4] although some farmers are neutral.[92] One reason why farmers oppose DST is that grain is best harvested after dew evaporates, so when field hands arrive and leave earlier in summer their labor is less valuable.[11] Dairy farmers are another group who complain of the change. Their cows are sensitive to the timing of milking, so delivering milk earlier disrupts their systems.[76][93] Today some farmers' groups are in favor of DST.[94]

DST also hurts prime-time television broadcast ratings,[5][75] drive-ins and other theaters.[95]

Changing clocks and DST rules has a direct economic cost, entailing extra work to support remote meetings, computer applications and the like. For example, a 2007 North American rule change cost an estimated $500 million to $1 billion,[96] and Utah State University economist William F. Shughart II has estimated the lost opportunity cost at around $1.7 billion USD.[75] Although it has been argued that clock shifts correlate with decreased economic efficiency, and that in 2000 the daylight-saving effect implied an estimated one-day loss of $31 billion on US stock exchanges,[97] the estimated numbers depend on the methodology[98] and the results have been disputed.[99]
Old 03-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Sage

I'm still sleeping an extra hour in the morning and wondering how the hell it go so late in the early afternoon. It will help immensely when it is lighter earlier.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Holy Moses (and I'm not talking to my dog)

I really need to be more careful starting threads....so sorry....Can I retract a thread, giggle! You never know where these posts will go...Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.