Day trip to Daytona Beach

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2021, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
where is the closest beach that is dog friendly?
New Smyrna and it's a lot better than Bikers Town Daytona/ Tshirt shops
Old 01-26-2021, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
I don’t know if it is the closest but we took our dog to New Smyrna dog beach.
It is not on the ocean but on Ponce inlet as far north as you can get on New Smyrna. There is parking that Costs like $5 a day if memory serves and a little walk from the parking to the beach. They have a shower and a hose to wash you and the pups and restrooms are adjacent to parking. Dogs have to be on a leash but they can swim
The only think that worries me about New Smyrna inlet is that most of the shark sightings are in that inlet. So don't let Fido go in too far!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Flagler Beach is dog friendly, but the dog must be on a leash. However, we had a long enough line that our dog could go bashing through waves after a tennis ball, and nobody minded.
I love these pictures of your dog enjoying the water and sand. I live on a beach during the summer and spend most mornings watching people playing with their dogs!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Flagler Beach is dog friendly, but the dog must be on a leash. However, we had a long enough line that our dog could go bashing through waves after a tennis ball, and nobody minded.
Holy smokes! We took our yellow lab to a beach and it was a real BEAR getting the sand off her! You must have had a heck of a time with your golden!!

We took her to St George Island beach, thinking she would enjoy that, also. She walked into the water, a wave slapped her in the face, she retreated, and wouldn’t approach the water after that!
Old 01-27-2021, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCFL View Post
You may want to check out the Unique Travel Club for Villages Residents. What makes this Club unique is the ability to visit any destination in Florida from Destin Beach to the Keys and it will simply be a day trip giving Members more time at their destination instead of hours on the road. Example Travel Times: Daytona Beach 20 Minutes, Clearwater Beach 35 Minutes, Cedar Key 30 Minutes & Cocoa Beach 30 Minutes. For info call 828-768-3543.
OK what am I missing ? The Villages to Daytona approximately 70 miles. How is that achieved in 20 minutes ?
Old 01-27-2021, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
OK what am I missing ? The Villages to Daytona approximately 70 miles. How is that achieved in 20 minutes ?
Same question I had, but thought I was being dense.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
Sounds like a nice day out. I prefer the gulf side, but that’s just me.
I prefer the gulf side as well and I also like to in the water. The water on the ocean side is very cold. I was very disappointed with Daytona Beach and several others on that side. You can drive on the beach at Daytona which was a nice experience but I would go back just for that.

I have traveled around trying to find the beach that I liked the most and I always return to Clearwater Beach. It has been named as the number one beach in Florida several times and recently it was selected at the number one beach in the United States.

The sand and water are great. Parking is convenient and the amenities are fantastic.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Helicopter? Daytona is and hour and a half to a two hour drive.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
They must go by aeroplane.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Helicopter? Daytona is and hour and a half to a two hour drive.
I can drive to Daytona Beach in 1 hr. 10 min (done so countless times / in-laws). I am willing to bet you from the time I leave the house drive to the helicopter / take off / land / and get a taxi to my destination my 1 hr. and 10 min wins by a long shot.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Holy smokes! We took our yellow lab to a beach and it was a real BEAR getting the sand off her! You must have had a heck of a time with your golden!!

We took her to St George Island beach, thinking she would enjoy that, also. She walked into the water, a wave slapped her in the face, she retreated, and wouldn’t approach the water after that!
Yes, it's always fun getting sand out of a golden, but he grew up a block from a Lake Michigan dog beach, so I have developed a (backbreaking) system.

That's also where he learned to plow through big waves. Lake Michigan can get very rough.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

In the last 50 years, we have had many nice trips to St. Augustine. The beaches are better than ever since they re-routed A1A farther away from the ocean.

Anastasia State Park is very nice and NO DOGS and NO CARS are allowed on the beach. There is a nice snack bar, a nice walking trail near the campground, and the beach is great for walking.

Farther south is Fort Matanzas, where my wife and I went on our first date in 1970. It is as beautiful as ever. The beach has eroded a little on the ocean side, but the sand bars on the 'back side' have grown much larger than they were in 1970.

A few miles south is Washington Oaks State Park, which is very nice. The gardens have not changed over the years and they have added some beautiful walking trails.

Our favorite place to eat at Matanzas Inlet was unfortunately destroyed in the hurricane in 2016 but we found the great Captains BBQ a few miles south.

I guess it is time for us to make a visit.
Closed Thread

Tags
beach, day, beautiful, sloppy, ate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.