What about free community travel in the villages for seniors that cannot drive

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 09:05 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Angry What about free community travel in the villages for seniors that cannot drive

I would think Since this 55+ plus community which has Hundreds of amenities and life styles it would have free or reduced priced travel to the amenities center for owners over 55 that live here that cannot drive. I hope I am wrong because if I am wright How can an owner get around without being able to drive.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

I hope you are not "wright" because I'm not paying for that. When I can't drive, I will find a way to get around and pay for it myself or move to assisted living.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:51 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

That's why God created senior apartment living and little passenger vans.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:08 AM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
I would think Since this 55+ plus community which has Hundreds of amenities and life styles it would have free or reduced priced travel to the amenities center for owners over 55 that live here that cannot drive. I hope I am wrong because if I am wright How can an owner get around without being able to drive.
. I know it could be a hard situation for some, and hopefully a person would have friends or family to help. Some agency would have to be in the business. Now then you could buy the van, pay the high liability insurance, maintain the van, pay a licensed driver $15 an hour. Then what would be your charge for the people that can’t get around? Just curious is all
Old 02-21-2021, 10:10 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

As you know what good is all the amenities if you can't get there to use them. What I said is what can do so seniors can afford to PAY THAT will be able to make available to seniors like myself to get to these amenities. I will take this into consideration when looking AT THE VILLAGES AND WHEN BUYING, TO ME THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND TO MANY FUTURE BUYERS AT THE VILLAGES. If they won't or can't we will move on to communities that will or do have community transportation. Thank you for your time.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

It would be close to impossible to live here without a golf cart or car. We have both because I am not fond of the cart. Getting to a supermarket and back would be extremely difficult. I have not read or heard of any plans for TV transportation.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:33 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
As you know what good is all the amenities if you can't get there to use them. What I said is what can do so seniors can afford to PAY THAT will be able to make available to seniors like myself to get to these amenities. I will take this into consideration when looking AT THE VILLAGES AND WHEN BUYING, TO ME THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND TO MANY FUTURE BUYERS AT THE VILLAGES. If they won't or can't we will move on to communities that will or do have community transportation. Thank you for your time.
If you aren't capable of driving a golf cart, then what activities are you trying to get to? Sitting in a rec center and knitting or playing cards? If that's what you're looking for, you would be wasting your time in TV. This community prides itself on "active" seniors and if you aren't physically capable of driving a cart, then you won't be able to enjoy the golf, pickleball, softball, water volleyball, ... and you'd be better suited going to a small community where you can walk to the rec center to play cards.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
One of the biggest draws to TV is being able to drive your golf cart to more than the golf course, Walmart, Publix, the rec center, the pool, just about anywhere within 35 square miles. There are limitations, how long do you do you want to ride in a bumpy golf cart in 90 degree heat with the wind blowing. Some people like myself, don't take the cart out of the garage unless I'm playing golf. I like A/C and a radio and getting to my destination in 20 minutes or less. For many more, golf carts are everywhere. Of course there is always Uber cars that can be summoned with phone. However, as others have said, TV is ringed with assisted living homes and I see their vans everytime I go to Walmart or the grocery store.

I don't know the limitations of your disability other than you can't drive a car. However, if you able to do activities at rec centers, handling a golf cart is not that hard and you don't even need a driver's license.

Plus parking lots and streets can accommodate a lot more carts than cars.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-21-2021, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Churches have free transportation to church. How about some of them expanding that service to other places besides Sunday Worship. That would be a great community service. Just a thought...
Old 02-21-2021, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I’m many cities there are things like the RIDE in Massachusetts, if you are low income or disabled , it will take you to appointments or shopping for a very minimal price. If something like this is what your looking for by all means move on to a place you can find that . I suspect there are not many here that would qualify for something like the ride here or in other adult communities that are higher ended, the other poster was right about many senior apartments and independent living places already here and more coming on line geared to all different levels of income with vans to take you places good luck in finding a place you’ll feel comfortable. I myself at 82 in great health have always planned that if I slowdown or have trouble driving I will move back to Boston where you don’t even have to own a car , yes it’s cold but I value my independence more then the cold and I want to be able to go out on to a street and see every day life with all the sounds and sights rather then some sterile but beautiful independent living place here
Old 02-21-2021, 10:48 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

If you live in the Sumter County section of the Villages, you can take advantage of this system -> Transit | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 02-21-2021, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,500 Times in 3,103 Posts

If you live in one of the Villages-based assisted living centers, they have "handivans" that bring their residents to Publix and the Library and other places on a weekly schedule.

But because the Villages is 70 square miles of residential and commercial property, there's no way a couple or three vans/buses can accommodate everyone living throughout the entire community. And creating a network of "public resident-only transportation" is cost-prohibitive, since MOST people are still self-sufficient until they go into those assisted-living centers.

What I would absolutely love-love-love is if the Villages tour trolleys were turned into a transportation network. It'd have limited stops, so you'd still have to find a way to get to the stop nearest you, and if it's not going exactly where want to go, you'd still have to find transportation from its closest stop to your final destination.

We don't have that presently though. And again, the Villages is vast, and takes up significant chunks of three different counties, each with their own transportation rules and regs. We do have Uber drivers and Lyft drivers though, and there are volunteer groups to help out on infrequent trips away from home. But nothing on a regular schedule.

Your best bet would be to find a pre-owned home within walking distance to the nearest Town Square or shopping plaza, so you never have to walk for normal weekly things, and only have to arrange rides for doctors' appointments and similar.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
If one is not able to drive, due to vision, or loss of DL, most are very capable of driving a golf cart. If you aren’t able to get to an amenity, you most likely will need assistance in your home, (home healthcare is easily obtained here) or an assistant living, so in-house care. We do however have private transportation for a fee.

Have you visited yet? The southern part of the villages and even most of the preowned are drawing younger residents, who come for the biking, hiking, and so on.

It’s ok to move on, as you must have great concern for your ability to care for yourself. TV is not for everyone, and new and preowned homes sell here easily, even for those children who inherited the property. I for one would never pay for amenities to supplement your lifestyle. TV is not inexpensive, and if your concerns that someone need to help you pay for transportation, the monthly expenses might be overwhelming for you
Old 02-21-2021, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Nothing is free. This is an important concept to know. Someone pays for everything and when a community offers free something on a continuing basis like transportation, right off the top of my head I think of vehicles, insurance, drivers, insurance, salaries, maintenance on vehicles, scheduling, etc. These little "kind" things soon add up to all of us being sent the bill and soon people who have carefully planned out their money and budget can no longer afford to live here. There is no big benevolent mother who is going to handle this. Frankly, I do not see it as a need. We have transportation that can be hired. And if that doesn't work, then individuals need to move to other areas and make other plans.

P.S. Joel, I have just read through your previous posts and it appears you are on Long Island thinking to relocate to Florida. If you have not done so, please come here and stay a week and ask questions of folks on the squares and in restaurants. We are used to it and you will see the opinions are strong in admiration of this wonderful place.

PLUS most people who cannot or don't want to drive cars choose to get around in their golf cart and if they can see clearly and have their full functioning mind, that is a good choice instead of public transportation. Golf carts can get you to the doctor and the stores and to other peoples homes and to the squares....

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-21-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
I'm in favor of a taxi or other transportation service in The Villages. But, why should it be free or at a reduced price? Just provide the service and charge an appropriate price.
Closed Thread

Tags
drive, amenities, travel, community, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.