De-thatch and/or Aerate?

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2022, 07:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,171 Times in 319 Posts
Default De-thatch and/or Aerate?

Our grass - Zoysia, is doing OK so far this year. But not great. Irrig and feeding is fine, but never had our lawn (8 years old) aerated or de thatched.

We use Dean’s for fertilizing but would prefer your personal feedback. Is it too late in season to have these services done?
Old 06-28-2022, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Our grass - Zoysia, is doing OK so far this year. But not great. Irrig and feeding is fine, but never had our lawn (8 years old) aerated or de thatched.

We use Dean’s for fertilizing but would prefer your personal feedback. Is it too late in season to have these services done?
Not familiar with Florida grasses, but aeration is usually used on heavy or well trodden grass.
With Florida's sandy soil would not think it would be needed.
De-thatching, followed with a good loam type top dressing could definitely be beneficial.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Call Adam from black cow. He does both Aeration and detaching. It’s an honest company and will tell you exactly what you need. We’ve been using him since 2010. 855-475-2225
Old 06-28-2022, 06:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,171 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Call Adam from black cow. He does both Aeration and detaching. It’s an honest company and will tell you exactly what you need. We’ve been using him since 2010. 855-475-2225
Thank you for that. I’ve heard of him. Will contact. Thx
Old 06-28-2022, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

I have Zoysia grass and Massey does the fertilizing, etc. They say that aeration is not necessary. If your soil is sandy, you may be wasting your money.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:

I have always been proud of my ability to have a good-looking yard until I got here with my Zoysia lawn. Gradually deteriorated and finally turned to Trugreen. Lawn slightly improved but not great. Switched to Falcon (now Arrow) as did several neighbors and we all notice improvement.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:31 AM

I've talked to the Extension Service about dethatching and was told it should be done from late Spring until August. I dethatched mine by hand last August and all but killed it, it's just too hot and there isn't enough time for it to recover before dormancy. They also told me not by any means to do it in the fall. If you do it with a vertical mower, two ways, it is very very stressful to the grass. On the other hand eight years of over water and over fert. which I was guilty of created a great amount of thatch which had to be taken care of.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:59 AM

I had a problem with brown spots on my zoysia lawn apparently these areas were not getting enough water. I called Adams-earth and had them do aeration. Adam is very knowledgable and will be able to tell you what's wrong. In my case the brown spots are gone. Dethatching is also important but it can only be done a certain time of the year but aeration is the most important.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

I had Adams earth dethatch and aerate in Feb. I have zoysia grass. He only dethatches from Oct-Feb. I would to the dethatchng again, but not the aeration. the total cost of both these items was not expensive. I think $180 ( I have a corner lot). A multitude of tiny holes and the plops of dirt removed and left on the lawn was not to my liking and the area is way to big to rake all those little plops. Eventually they were pushed back into the soil by the mower, my walking on it, and rain. And here it is almost July and I see no improvement in the grass or color. I did take advantage of the little holes and put grass seed in some of them ( zoysia seed which is very expensive) but, can't notice a difference. Watered almost everyday and talked lovingly to it, but, alas.......
Old 06-29-2022, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
I had Adams earth dethatch and aerate in Feb. I have zoysia grass. He only dethatches from Oct-Feb. I would to the dethatchng again, but not the aeration. the total cost of both these items was not expensive. I think $180 ( I have a corner lot). A multitude of tiny holes and the plops of dirt removed and left on the lawn was not to my liking and the area is way to big to rake all those little plops. Eventually they were pushed back into the soil by the mower, my walking on it, and rain. And here it is almost July and I see no improvement in the grass or color. I did take advantage of the little holes and put grass seed in some of them ( zoysia seed which is very expensive) but, can't notice a difference. Watered almost everyday and talked lovingly to it, but, alas.......
Grass seed germinates on surface.
Evidently Zoysia grass seed needs lots of sunlight to germinate.
Not a lot of sun down those plug holes!
Old 06-29-2022, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:

We also have empire zoysia like most lawn issues, thatch builds over years. According to my reading it should be dethatched every three years. It opens up the lawn. It can encourage weeds. With empire zoysia it is in it's prime growing season so NOW is a good time to have it done or to do it.

We have a 5,000 sq foot lawn. I bought an amateur grade machine, if I recall from wallmart for $100. Due to a far too small catch thing, I found quickly to just not use it but, to use a fan rake to pick up all the stuff it removed. I took out of my lawn roughly 20 of those large paper lawn bags and I really packed it down and filled to the top. It is work. I did one section at a time. so not too bad.

Aerating, my view a waste of time and money. Those plugs they take out go down about two inches. A properly cared for lawn has roots down around 8 inches or more.
I did aerate sort of my lawn. We have sandy clay soil in most of the villages. Also a lot of work. I did one section at a time. I took an old auger bit, largest made 1.5 inches.
I cut off the pyramid mount and put it into a 3 foot extension so I did not need to bend.
With my rechargeable drill a fairly powerful one, I drilled holes down 6 inches every 3-4 inches in my lawn and I filled them with manure. It took 70 50 lb bags. My lawn needs far less watering than others due to the organic matter. It also makes our too alkaline
soil, more acidic. Our PH was 7.5 now holding at 6.8. 6.5 is ideal for grass.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

Call Adams Earth. Aeration is beneficial. The problem is Zoysia grass is plain terrible.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Grass seed germinates on surface.
Evidently Zoysia grass seed needs lots of sunlight to germinate.
Not a lot of sun down those plug holes!

two Bills...if you read the directions on the Scotts bag of zoysia seed, it tells you to scape the soil first, put the seed down, then cover with top soil and water. So, it is not on the surface. Also, they do germinate in the sun/shade as I can attest to.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:15 AM

I have St. Augustine grass on sandy soil…. what are the needs for this type regarding thatching and aerating…Thx
Old 06-30-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:

We dethatched our lawn a while back. It looked horrible for over 6 months. The company came back and had to apply some fertilizer to a couple areas. It looks good now.
Closed Thread

Tags
de-thatch, thatched, dean’s, fertilizing, prefer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.