Dead Pine Trees Throughout TV

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Sage
Default If they are yellow pines in central Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
We have noticed a very large number of dead pine trees, throughout TV, some around ponds, others on courses and public landscaping areas. What gives? Is there a disease, bug infestation specific to pines? When will these long dead trees be removed/replaced?

It could be any number of ailments that strike southern pine trees.
Here's one link I found.......

Pitch Canker on Southern Yellow Pines
Pitch Canker on southern Yellow Pines in central Fl.

We all hate to see beautiful trees come to the end of their life cycle, but one never knows what diseases can strike or spread........

Do you know the name of these pines? The variety?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 AM
Platinum member

I too have been concerned about the dead trees in our otherwise beautiful landscape. Hope someone gets some definitive info about the problem and more importantly the possible treatments.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 AM
TOTV Moderator

Please address the topic and not each other. OP asked a reasonable question, soliciting opinions from other members, just what this forum is about. We expect replies to be civil and respectful.

Back to the topic....
Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
this is what happens when one undesirable can derail a querry/thread that others are interested in and genuinely trying to help.

Just ignore the one and participate with the sincere majority!
My guess is that there are many " Posting Drop-Outs " who have felt driven off by " toneality " . Further too many are subject to criticism of their " topic " by self-appointed censors .

As one of my Resolutions for 2015 , I vowed to essentially become a " TOV Drop-Out " except for a couple of encouraging replays to Posts .

The observations of the OP caused me to break my silence and " chime-in " .
Now I will avoid this Thread so that I will not have to absorb the inevitable " bricks " . Cheers !

Last edited by Buffalo Jim; 01-26-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Gold member

Since the title sounds a bit ominous because of "throughout" the community, I'm going to say again that the "dead-looking" trees bordering the retention pond, on the left of O'Dell westbound between Canal and Alandari, look exactly like the ones pictured of bald cypress trees in winter, as linked in posts 9 and 14.

And this type of cypress tree is recommended for standing water or bordering retention ponds etc. that will fill and overflow for awhile.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
Not cypress, but very dead pine trees
Pine beetles will kill pines if they are infested in the trees. Will have small holes all over the trunk if beetles.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.