Dealer Prep

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2020, 07:55 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
$40k cash is a bigger pain for the dealer than a $40k cashier's check.

Throwing cash on a desk is not impressive.
No it’s not but got the deal done! In some places cash is still king. A lot of times in small purchases the merchants have to pay between 2.5 and 3.5 percent when using a card. They don’t like that but people buy more with plastic so businesses gladly take the cards. It hurts a little more to get a few 100’s out and give to the cashier. Inserting or sliding a card is much easier. Sometimes a person doesn’t get a deal with cash but other times it works great. Nothing evil about it! Still pay taxes. In this day and age I have met at the bank with an individual buying my car for added protection and in case their was any funny money. Got to be careful!
Old 11-23-2020, 08:14 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Dealers don’t care if u pay cash. They prefer u finance thru them. They are going to get their money regardless of how u pay
Old 11-23-2020, 08:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,854 Times in 893 Posts
Default I just bought a new truck and used the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The best way to buy a car is to only discuss one number with the dealer, the out-the-door price, which includes eveything right down to the trade-in, taxes, tags, and title. That way, who cares what the dealer charges for dealer prep or anything else?
Just used that strategy this past weekend, and the dealer agreed. We wanted the used truck as it had exactly for what we were looking and hadn't seen in 6 months, repossessed and low mileage, towing packages, etc.

So just discussing one number, trade in at X value, and out the door price for the truck. Made the whole discussion easy.

Great advice!

coachk and sportsguy
Old 11-24-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Off topic but I LOVE my RSX. I'm going to baby it until it's impossible to run it. They don't make affordable 2 door sport cars with stick transmission anymore.
I'll be off topic too and say that I love my 6-speed manual trans Bullitt Mustang.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 11-24-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyGuy View Post
I'll be off topic too and say that I love my 6-speed manual trans Bullitt Mustang.
Is yours green or black? You need to post photos. I have friend in Jacksonville that has a green one, he loves it.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Is yours green or black? You need to post photos. I have friend in Jacksonville that has a green one, he loves it.
Mine is dark highland Green metallic. It is a stunning color on a fantastic car.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 11-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
The reason I asked the question is that I went to a dealer in Leesburg and was looking for a price on a new car. When I looked at the price list they had a line item of about $800 for Dealer Prep. I said I would not pay for Dealer Prep as this was just "Fluff" and added Dealer Profit. The sales person responded with then I was not going to buy a car in Florida as every Dealer charged for Prep! That was as far as we got when he said thanks for coming in and good bye. I felt like I was being thrown out of the Dealer ship for challenging the line item rather than a cordial thanks for stopping in. We live and learn.
Honda dealership did same thing. We left and went to Headquarters Honda and got what we expected, service and courteous staff. Got scammed on service for my old pilot by them(Jenkins).
Old 11-30-2020, 09:46 PM

Of all the things I've encountered after moving to Florida several years ago, buying a vehicle is the most aggravating. At Bill Bryan Kia in Leesburg, they had a bumper (additional) sticker for $4,999 for the window tint, pinstripe package. I don't know how one begins a serious business transaction in the face of such BS. Jenkins Automotive Group seems to now own many of the dealerships, repair shops and body shops in the area. I encountered very high pressure sales tactics in two of their stores. I am a previous customer of Phillips' dealerships and I have nothing good to say about them to the extent I think Crimes against Seniors should take a look at their treatment of older buyers. So what to do? I like the suggestion of an out-the-door price and I'll take it or I'll leave. It not a problem with understanding how car dealerships work, but more to the point I don't have the patience for all games they play to try to take your money at every turn. All the money on the table is mine and they want more of it than their product and services entitle them to.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Of all the things I've encountered after moving to Florida several years ago, buying a vehicle is the most aggravating. At Bill Bryan Kia in Leesburg, they had a bumper (additional) sticker for $4,999 for the window tint, pinstripe package. I don't know how one begins a serious business transaction in the face of such BS. Jenkins Automotive Group seems to now own many of the dealerships, repair shops and body shops in the area. I encountered very high pressure sales tactics in two of their stores. I am a previous customer of Phillips' dealerships and I have nothing good to say about them to the extent I think Crimes against Seniors should take a look at their treatment of older buyers. So what to do? I like the suggestion of an out-the-door price and I'll take it or I'll leave. It not a problem with understanding how car dealerships work, but more to the point I don't have the patience for all games they play to try to take your money at every turn. All the money on the table is mine and they want more of it than their product and services entitle them to.
So what's your point?

It appears you do not like the experience of buying a car. Well, the dealers ain't gonna change their practices. You either find a way to make buying a car a very enjoyable experience or you keep doing the same thing and complaining about it. Your choice.

Last edited by VApeople; 12-01-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
So what's your point?

It appears you do not like the experience of buying a car. Well, the dealers ain't gonna change their practices. You either find a way to make buying a car a very enjoyable experience or you keep doing the same thing and complaining about it. Your choice.
Dealers have made the experience a negative for many people.

Thinking will try a buying service when we buy a new one early next year and see how that works.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Thinking will try a buying service when we buy a new one early next year and see how that works.
Or you can read what I and others have posted about our very enjoyable car buying experiences and then decide what works best for you.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:08 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Only if the dealer follows the law. A few months ago, a friend was able to buy an expensive ring from a "reputable" Villages jeweler at a huge discount, but only if he paid in cash. I was very surprised by that.
He can do that with jewelry, put it in his pocket and not put it through the books therefore cheating on his profit tax. However that is not the case with a titled vehicle from a dealer, there is a paper trail that cannot be buried.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

In PA dealers charge a service fee that is set by the state which I believe is around $300
Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
In PA dealers charge a service fee that is set by the state which I believe is around $300
Not true. PA law sets a "maximum" fee that dealers can charge. The fee is not mandatory and is negotiable and it can be zero. It think one reason for setting a maximum fee is that the fee is not taxable.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Saved me Thousands

By being a "wise guy" when trying to sell me a car they not only lost a customer but a walking advertisement for why not to buy at this dealer. I was ready to write a check for thousands of dollars, but instead decided my current car is great and
decided it was better than the ones on their lot! It was a wake up call which I am thankful for. I am sure my actions will have little effect on their P&L but it gives me some peace of mind.
Closed Thread

Tags
dealer, prep, car, add, invoice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.