Dealer Prep

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2020, 08:12 AM
Gold member

Jenkins will try to rip you off if they can. Be very careful dealing with them. I am only familiar with the Leesburg Jenkins Honda but have to assume that it is there business model! I think that I will go to Clermont for my Hyundai purchase!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
Buy all my cars thru Costco, no hassle one price
I bought one car via Costco but often wonder if you are really getting the best price?
Old 11-22-2020, 08:31 AM

When I worked at Ford, we called it PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). It included a long list of things such as removing shipping films and protective covers, a quick road test, verifying functions of all the major systems, leak checks, etc. We (FORD) paid the dealer to do this. If they charge you, that would be double dipping for the same thing. If you really mean a “document prep” or some other charge for work done in the dealership back office, then that would be fair charge. Someone has to get paid to do this work, and they can either list the charge separately, or bury it somewhere, but you’ll pay for it.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:36 AM

Back when the "new" Thunderbirds came out I went to a Ford dealer in Colorado Springs. On the sticker in the window was: "ADP - $10,000. I asked the salesman what that was and he said (quite honestly & surprised me) Additional Dealer Profit.

They will get money any way possible.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:49 AM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
I bought one car via Costco but often wonder if you are really getting the best price?
Your not! Might be getting an ok deal but not the very best! Good, better and best!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:56 AM
Default Don’t ever mention the word “cash”

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The best way to buy a car is to only discuss one number with the dealer, the out-the-door price, which includes eveything right down to the trade-in, taxes, tags, and title. That way, who cares what the dealer charges for dealer prep or anything else? As soon as you engage in a discussion about any other numbers, you will lose money. But, you need to know what the out-the-door price should be by using a third party pricing guide, like kbb.com or edmunds.com.
Dealers also make a lot of money on the financing, when you get to the finance office to complete the deal and after all of the “out the door price” is mentioned, you will be asked how would you want to pay and offer several options that the dealer will make money on financing by a “dealer approved lender will give them extra money, either pay with a letter from your bank or like we did with a check, the last one, I put the entire amount on my credit card, the dealer thought that I was crazy since the credit cards charge outrageous interest, then I explained that I was getting 2% back on the purchase, he stated it will never go through, I loved to see his expression when it was approved, he could not believe it, and yes I paid it within 30 days, so I paid zero interest and got another $600 back from them. Life is GREAT mostly when you figure it out!!!!
Old 11-22-2020, 09:01 AM

I just leased a Hyundai Sonata from Hyundai of Central Florida and saved more than $1000. I had previously leased a 2018 and a 2019 from Jenkins in Ocala on very reasonable terms. (Jenkins in Leesburg wouldn’t even come close to the Jenkins of Ocala rate.). Since my 2018 lease was coming due, I returned to Jenkins in Ocala expecting to get the same good rate I had gotten twice before. Boy did I get a surprise. They gave me a quote that was almost $4000 above the Hyundai of Central Florida rate. I left the dealership and as soon as I arrived home, I received an email telling me I could have the vehicle at $3000 less than the original quote. That would have still been $1000 more than the same vehicle that I leased in Clermont.

Hyundai of Central Florida does not charge a dealers fee. Almost every other Florida dealership charges a dealers fee of anywhere from $499 to $1099. This fee is pure profit for the dealership. When I moved to Florida from New Jersey seven years ago and looked into these dealer fees, I asked why they charge this extra fee. The answer seemed to be, “because they can.” When I leased the 2018 Sonata from Jenkins in Ocala, I asked why the Ocala dealership can give me a better price than the Leesburg dealership. I was told that since many of the customers in Leesburg are Villagers and elderly, they don’t shop around.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:20 AM

Not Subaru in Orlando
Old 11-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Great Amswers and Idea's

This is a good demonstration of the value of Talk Of The Villages (TOTV)! Some of
the responses were really helpful and informative regarding purchasing in Florida
and being a Villager! I did walk out on the Dealer and if they call regarding a follow up I would be frank and honest as to why I am no longer interested in doing business with them. I let my guard down on this one. This was another case of not negotiating with the person who makes the decision! It's called "Ghost" negotiations where the real decision maker is invisible, (e.g. Salesperson="I have to check with the Manager,etc"). A good process to follow when this is thrown at you is to have your own "Ghost" check point. As I said I screwed up in a couple of ways on this one and after buying cars for the last 60+ years you would think I would know better.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
Dealers also make a lot of money on the financing, when you get to the finance office to complete the deal and after all of the “out the door price” is mentioned, you will be asked how would you want to pay and offer several options that the dealer will make money on financing by a “dealer approved lender will give them extra money, either pay with a letter from your bank or like we did with a check, the last one, I put the entire amount on my credit card, the dealer thought that I was crazy since the credit cards charge outrageous interest, then I explained that I was getting 2% back on the purchase, he stated it will never go through, I loved to see his expression when it was approved, he could not believe it, and yes I paid it within 30 days, so I paid zero interest and got another $600 back from them. Life is GREAT mostly when you figure it out!!!!
Most dealers will not accept a credit card to purchase a car.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art cov View Post
Your not! Might be getting an ok deal but not the very best! Good, better and best!
I agree. A buying service is convenient and less stressful, but it is not the way to get the best price on a car. Also, you need to make sure that the dealer actually has the exact car that he has quoted to you before you go to the dealership. Ask for the VIN number and the dealer's stock number. Some dealers will lure you to their dealership and then try to sell you another car. Or worse, they will ask for a deposit so they can have the car you want delivered to the dealership. If you ever pay a deposit, make sure you read the paper you sign very carefully because it will often allow the dealer to substitute a similar car. And you will never get the deposit back, even if it is on a credit card.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
No but many do. It's like the $3-6000 they add to the sticker for pin stripes and "undercoating." First words to them would be remove it or I walk. MANY years ago cars needed "dealer prep" but now they wash them and that's enough.

Dealer Prep Fee
This is a fee, usually ranging between $100 and $400, that a dealer will try to charge for preparing the vehicle for sale. It's a ridiculous attempt at making extra profit because vehicle preparation is simply a part of doing business. Get the dealer to drop this fake fee before agreeing to purchase.
Anyone who pays these phony fees deserve it ! I’m from the Detroit area and I’ve not seen that since I was a kid ! Florida has so many arcane practices ! The profit on used and new vehicles is high ! I also worked at a dealership during a recession to make money after auto sales car school !

Don’t pay this crap go up north where they will treat you the way you deserve and save a few extra thousand ! Disgusting and immoral !
Old 11-22-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
The reason I asked the question is that I went to a dealer in Leesburg and was looking for a price on a new car. When I looked at the price list they had a line item of about $800 for Dealer Prep. I said I would not pay for Dealer Prep as this was just "Fluff" and added Dealer Profit. The sales person responded with then I was not going to buy a car in Florida as every Dealer charged for Prep! That was as far as we got when he said thanks for coming in and good bye. I felt like I was being thrown out of the Dealer ship for challenging the line item rather than a cordial thanks for stopping in. We live and learn.
I’m amazed at the arrogance in Florida ! These salespeople and dealership needs to be called out !
I’m amazed at all the creative ways they try to extract your hard earned savings from the seniors here ! It’s disgusting ! They treat those folks with disgust and greed
Old 11-22-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Amen, I hate the hassle. If I'm trading in I just tell them I'll give you my car and the clear title along with a check for X number of dollars for the new car, and then tell them they can write it up any way they choose as long as the end result is the amount on my check. Be fair with your offer though as they are in business to make a profit. If they added a bunch of other stuff to the car I don't even take that into consideration, I only work off of the true MSRP.
MSRP is a number as the price of the car goes up you can deduct between 8-12% off that number ! The car makers provide extra profits ! Never ever ever get an extended warranty ! Even if something breaks down it never costs what they charge
Old 11-22-2020, 11:40 AM

Some car dealers post the price on the window. Others expect you to haggle. Florida seems to be one of these places where haggling is expected. (Don't believe you can haggle better than the dealer. They are pros at it and you are an amateur.) I believe the best way to get a fair price without the hassle of haggling is to do everything on the internet. Do the reviews and all that business first. Know the car you want. You might even go to the lot and do a test drive. But DON'T take their IF I CAN, WILL YOU... deal. Don't believe them when they tell you, you can only get this great price if you buy before you leave.

Then go home and call one or two dealers. Tell them what you want and ask them the price. They won't want to name a price, but if you tell them you are talking to another dealer and want the price before you come in, they willl name their best fair price. Then go in and don't leave paying more than the internet price you got on the phone.
Closed Thread

Tags
dealer, prep, car, add, invoice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.