Death of Spanish Springs

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2021, 06:06 AM
Default No taker for Katie Belle

The Suliemans and FMK have shown no reluctance to taking over operation of restaurant space in THE Villages. I am quite sure they have looked to Katie Belle and decided it was not going to be worth assuming operation.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Stop the insanity. SS isn’t going anywhere.

Foolishness at its best!
Old 08-04-2021, 06:20 AM

I would have read your entire Article, but it turned into a book. Simply put this is a business and about making money. They don’t care about the residents. I am sure they did a study that shows they can make more money on renting apartments than having businesses occupy those buildings. Just the way it is.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:31 AM

If apartments are allowed in SS it will be one more nail in the coffin for that square. Nobody is going to want to rent an apartment and have loud music playing every night outside there windows. They will all complain and more than likely the music in the square will be gone just like Katie Bells and everything else that has closed.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

I'm waiting for people just like the writer to step up and spend a hundred thousand on a lease to reopen Katie Bell's but I'm sure I won't see it. Let's face it the owner of the property can do pretty much what they want and I do not fear having people living over buildings. I grew up in Brooklyn my wife had a store in Jersey City and that's typical you have apartments two or three or four stories over stores on the bottom even in New York City it's done the same way. The residents go downstairs and shop locally and that's a great thing because that's less traffic that way and that's how most planners of cities want it. After all I don't expect to see a Subway around here soon ( a train not the restaurants)
Old 08-04-2021, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

One reason I don't go to Spanish springs is the parking was terrible on weekends when they decided to always have a car show, so you won't find me there
Old 08-04-2021, 06:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Capitalism is based on "survival of the fittest". The north end of TV has been surrounded by hundreds of eating establishments (competitors). The demographics of the area has changed (older average age). If paying customers had patronized KB in sufficient numbers, it would still be there. Same for Hacienda Hills Country Club.

Apartments are a far better alternative than vacancy. Many communities around the country are now realizing that "mixed use zoning" is being embraced widely. My residential neighborhood when growing up had small commercial establishments scattered throughout.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Longest post ever! I feel asleep by the 3rd paragraph.

If you don't own it you can't control it. Stop worrying and enjoy the beautiful square that will not change.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

I never had the pleasure (?) of going to Katie Belles, but from what I read, I doubt I would have gone, even if it was still open.

From the descriptions I read (good and bad), it was not something that would appeal TO ME...

Tastes change. What was once popular, goes out of style. As the older residents "move on", they're replaced by younger retirees, who have different wants and needs...

What was popular 20 years ago, may not be popular today and what is popular today, may not be popular in another 20 years...

Except for the Beatles... They will NEVER stop being popular!

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 07:12 AM
Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
One reason I don't go to Spanish springs is the parking was terrible on weekends when they decided to always have a car show, so you won't find me there
Isn't that the old "no one goes there anymore because it's too crowded" thing?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:12 AM

I think apartments are a Great idea! If I were to come visit The Villages I would prefer Staying at these apartments rather than an offsite place. Some people like to be where the action is and walk around the area. As far as the noise level from the bands at night; The bands stop at 9 PM. I think it would be fun living above the stores. These apartments would also be great investment for anyone who wanted to make them short or long term rentals. Count me in I would buy one.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:13 AM

Traffic will increase because of the apartments is a concern. Mail Boxes in that area for those nearby villages and apartment traffic is going to be a problem I’m not looking forward to.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella6368 View Post
With the growth of TV South of Morse Blvd., maybe TV long term plan is to slowly phase out Spanish Springs as one of the Town Squares. I have heard that Brownwood is now becoming the epicenter of the TV Squares, due to all the growth at that end of the TV. They have after all just relocated their Street of Dreams Sales compound there. Sounds to me like this is the natural path of things "out with the old, in with the new". I agree with some of what was said, but SS sadly has become somewhat a ghost town. However, raising amenity fees is not the answer. You can't keep raising amenity fees to bail out failed business'. There will always be some that will fail, and it is not the residents responsibilities to bail them out so to speak.
Whole lot of assumptions and “I heard” here.
BTW which village do you live in?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Total BS - site your source besides hearsay.
I wouldn’t need a “source” to back up that comment. Every time we went to the original Katie Belles there would be large groups dancing and partying…and drinking water or having one drink. They all loved going there, not spending any $$$.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Typical of a TOTV thread. Posters say SS is a ghost town other posters say finding a place to park is a problem.
Lot of people who don’t know what they are rambling about.
Relax SS is not going away………….

Tags
residents, springs, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.