Death of Spanish Springs

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2021, 05:28 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I never said "what appeals to most"... I said "ME"...

I also said "what was popular 20 years ago MAY not be popular today"...

So yeah, I have MY opinion...

Oh, and it's spelled Hmmm...
Actually it is spelled hmm according to Merriam-Webster, Oxford, and according to the Urban dictionary:

an utterance made by those in the act of thinking. represents more thinking than hmm, but significantly less cranial activity than hmmmm.

wow. This individual is thinking quite hard, it's only a matter of time until he reaches hmmmm level thought.

Regarding your initial post I probably should have gone with hmmmm.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-04-2021, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Does anyone think their opinion so important that they expect people to read such a long post!
I got the gist of it.
Businesses will come and go.
Apartments will use less parking spaces than katie bells did.
People will buy where they want to be, their choice.
Good idea for second story space, where no business wants to be.
Cannot imagine why they were turned down.
Apartments will only use fewer parking spaces than Katie Bell's during the hours that Katie Bell's was open for business. The entire rest of the 24-hour period, it will use many more parking spaces than Katie Bell's used when it was closed for the night, until it opened again the next day.

In addition, apartments will have assigned parking, which means no one doing business in the town square, or shopping in the town square, or just wanting to listen to music in the town square, will be allowed to use those spaces. Not even if the tenants aren't home and the space is empty at the moment.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
One reason I don't go to Spanish springs is the parking was terrible on weekends when they decided to always have a car show, so you won't find me there
We still have a car show at the square, and I have never had any trouble finding a parking space in one of the lots behind the buildings.

No, you won't find a space in front, near the gazebo where the band plays. It's closed off to traffic and for the exclusive use of the classic cars during the show.

But the parking lot behind the Sharon usually has plenty of space. The lot in front of the golf cart bridge always has plenty of space. The lot behind World of Beer -usually- has plenty of spaces. The lot at the transport bus stop -usually- has plenty of spaces.

And there are always plenty of spaces at the lot where Publix is.

In short, there are plenty of parking spaces all -around- the town square even during the car shows and Market Nights. Even when the Hooligans are playing.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Spanish Springs...along with that whole northern tier of TV...is a ghetto now.

The real villages is now south of 466a and 44.

No one cares anymore about north of 466. All the bad news comes from there.

The Esteemed Developer would bulldoze it down in a heartbeat.

In which context did you mean in your use and absurd declaration?

Ghetto
A ghetto, often the ghetto, is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially as a result of social, legal, or economic pressure. Ghettos are often known for being more impoverished than other areas of the city. Versions of the ghetto appear across the world, each with their own names, classifications, and groupings of people. The term has deep cultural meaning in the United States, especially in the context of segregation and civil rights; as such, it has been widely used in the country to refer to inner-city neighborhoods that are mainly poor. It is also used in some European countries such as Romania and Slovenia to refer to poor neighborhoods. The term was originally used for the Venetian Ghetto in Venice, Italy, as early as 1516, to describe the part of the city where Jews were restricted to live and thus segregated from other people.Wikipedia
Old 08-04-2021, 06:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

If the apartments were not financially successful in Brownwood, I don’t think the developer would make another mistake in SS. If they are moving forward with SS, then Brownwood was successful.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Spanish Springs...along with that whole northern tier of TV...is a ghetto now.

The real villages is now south of 466a and 44.

No one cares anymore about north of 466. All the bad news comes from there.

The Esteemed Developer would bulldoze it down in a heartbeat.
Now that's the most ignorant and insulting thing I have read here in a while.
Someone is showing their colors.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:37 PM
Platinum member
Cool

I read all the 6 pages of posts and didn't see any mention of age requirements that the tenants will have to be to live there IF the apartments are built. Will this be a 55+ like the rest of TV? Or will there be a younger generation moving in?
Old 08-04-2021, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellshack View Post
My business plan is simple and worked in hundreds of communities. We cove the square to achieve year round climate control for shopping and events. We bring in Sears and Pennys as anchors. People will come in droves. We should have had Katie’s declared an historic site so it could never be changed.
Sears and Penny's are both failing and going out of business...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
I bet you're real fun at a party.
Actually, I'm a hoot!

Guess which one is me...

Animal House Guitar Scene - YouTube

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 09:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
according to a Google search I just performed, Spanish Springs was built in 1994, which makes it about 27 years old. 27 years in a retirement community is several lifetimes, and several different "classes" of retirees. I figure about every 5-7 years you get a "class" of retirees, whose life experiences are different enough to account for different tastes. As teens growing up, that period of time creates differences in fashions, music, and even political thinking. 27 years would account for 4 or 5 such transitions, and it's reasonable to assume that what "rocked" for retirees in 1994 probably won't rock for retirees in 2021 and beyond.
The most efficient way to "kill" Spanish Springs would have been to be locked into the original concept, for 30 years or more , and think that would continue to be attractive.
Excellent post...

I don't know why I didn't think of that... Oh, wait... I did. And I was promptly attacked for my opinion...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 09:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Actually it is spelled hmm according to Merriam-Webster, Oxford, and according to the Urban dictionary:

an utterance made by those in the act of thinking. represents more thinking than hmm, but significantly less cranial activity than hmmmm.

wow. This individual is thinking quite hard, it's only a matter of time until he reaches hmmmm level thought.

Regarding your initial post I probably should have gone with hmmmm.
Regarding your initial post, I would have kept it to myself... Your initial Huumm is found nowhere in any dictionary...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
according to a Google search I just performed, Spanish Springs was built in 1994, which makes it about 27 years old. 27 years in a retirement community is several lifetimes, and several different "classes" of retirees. I figure about every 5-7 years you get a "class" of retirees, whose life experiences are different enough to account for different tastes. As teens growing up, that period of time creates differences in fashions, music, and even political thinking. 27 years would account for 4 or 5 such transitions, and it's reasonable to assume that what "rocked" for retirees in 1994 probably won't rock for retirees in 2021 and beyond.
The most efficient way to "kill" Spanish Springs would have been to be locked into the original concept, for 30 years or more , and think that would continue to be attractive.
interesting, makes sense, insightful:
Reminds me of the Human Resource Training video by Dr. Massey "You are what you were when"
Old 08-05-2021, 04:34 AM
Default Satire

Quote:
You are correct and that was my point. Change is inevitable and necessary. We should not hold on the the past for fear of change or old times sake. Montgomery Ward was #1, then Sears, then Kmart, then Walmart, now Prime and home delivery are moving in. I remember thinking Jack in the Box drive up would never work, now 70% of of fast food is drive up, and now the recent twist of call in-pick up.

Enclosed malls were wonderful for years, but Sears and Penny's could not foresee their coming demise. Anyone want to put stock in outlet malls these days? They were huge 15 years ago.

Some change fails, some works great and survives for a while. Katie's is gone just like the soda fountain at the drug store. Get over it and move on.

Sort of like me, I used to work ok, now my stock keeps sinking to new lows. Don't invest in futures on me.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
I think it was meant to be a Sheldon moment. sarcasm
Old 08-05-2021, 11:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,685 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Excellent post...

I don't know why I didn't think of that... Oh, wait... I did. And I was promptly attacked for my opinion...
Maybe your delivery lacked my charm. Or maybe I'll soon be attacked.
The suspense is killing me.
Closed Thread

Tags
residents, springs, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.