The Decontamination Chamber at Our House

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 12:45 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default The Decontamination Chamber at Our House

Note: Please forgive me. I lifted this post of mine out of the thread about golf -- where it did not belong -- and dragged it over here to a different thread. Now, I will go back to the golf thread and edit it out of there.

Sincerely,
Redundant Boomer

Ah, yes, the decontamination chamber. Ours is set up in the laundry room.

The dryer top is for pre-process and the washer top for post-process. The w and d tops are easy to clean with Dawn and Bounty paper towels.

Though I am not a scientist, I have a little theory that if Dawn could cut through the oil on the feathers of those ducks caught in that oil slick, then Dawn should be able to cut through that lipids shield or whatever it is that protects that damned virus and helps it get around. Actually, my hometown is Cincinnati where it is the law that we have to buy P&G products and/or stock. (I should not have to explain that I am just kidding about that law part but who knows how literal some can be so there you have my “just kidding.”)

Then, I wipe off anything that can be wiped off with a Clorox or Lysol wipe (though, alas, they are not P&G products.) I found an old stash of wipes in one of the vanities. I don’t think they are anywhere to be found now so I have taken to cutting them in half. We also have 48 remaining pairs of plastic gloves, left over from my wearing them under gardening gloves. Who knew what a garage search could belch up.

Going through this big rigmarole with the incoming groceries makes me feel like I am a nutjob, like Howard Hughes. But, so far, I am wearing my regular shoes — although the Puffs boxes are starting to look like they have possibilities.

A friend told me recently that she takes the bags of cereal and crackers, and whatever else is packaged inside cardboard, out of the boxes, pitches the cardboard boxes, and puts just the bags away because the bags would have been untouched in the stores or in shipping. Another friend is putting that stuff into washable containers. But we don’t have enough of those.

Anyway, as crazy as all this decontaminating is beginning to make me feel, I figure I would feel crazier if we did not do it.

Sincerely,
Call-Me-Crazy-and-I-Don’t-Care Boomer

PS: All this talk around here about Howard Hughes reminded me about the movie "The Aviator" so Mr. B. and I watched it a few nights ago. It's a long one, but what a fascinating character Hughes sure was. (Lots and lots of airplanes in it, too.)
Old 04-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Our garage and laundry room are our decon stations. My wife is a nurse and works in direct contact with Covid patients.. She has never brought her shoes into the house. They stay in the garage on a shoe rack and now get sprayed. When returning from work she goes straight from the garage (with me holding the door open so she doesn't touch anything) into the laundry room and disrobes. Then straight to the shower. She used to just drop her uniforms into their own separate hamper and wash them all together at the end of the week. Now they go straight into the washing machine and are washed with a laundry sanitizer.

It's probably not enough but it's what we're comfortable with. Our county had the first confirmed case of this virus in the country. We were one of the first states to go into lockdown. We have pretty much flattened the curve for both new cases and deaths. We are currently 10th in the country for confirmed cases. If everyone puts just a little effort into stopping this it will be over a lot sooner.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-05-2020, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

After all this time at home cleaning, our kitchen could easily be converted to an OR or ICU, giggle.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Note: Please forgive me. I lifted this post of mine out of the thread about golf -- where it did not belong -- and dragged it over here to a different thread. Now, I will go back to the golf thread and edit it out of there.

Sincerely,
Redundant Boomer

Ah, yes, the decontamination chamber. Ours is set up in the laundry room.

The dryer top is for pre-process and the washer top for post-process. The w and d tops are easy to clean with Dawn and Bounty paper towels.

Though I am not a scientist, I have a little theory that if Dawn could cut through the oil on the feathers of those ducks caught in that oil slick, then Dawn should be able to cut through that lipids shield or whatever it is that protects that damned virus and helps it get around. Actually, my hometown is Cincinnati where it is the law that we have to buy P&G products and/or stock. (I should not have to explain that I am just kidding about that law part but who knows how literal some can be so there you have my “just kidding.”)

Then, I wipe off anything that can be wiped off with a Clorox or Lysol wipe (though, alas, they are not P&G products.) I found an old stash of wipes in one of the vanities. I don’t think they are anywhere to be found now so I have taken to cutting them in half. We also have 48 remaining pairs of plastic gloves, left over from my wearing them under gardening gloves. Who knew what a garage search could belch up.

Going through this big rigmarole with the incoming groceries makes me feel like I am a nutjob, like Howard Hughes. But, so far, I am wearing my regular shoes — although the Puffs boxes are starting to look like they have possibilities.

A friend told me recently that she takes the bags of cereal and crackers, and whatever else is packaged inside cardboard, out of the boxes, pitches the cardboard boxes, and puts just the bags away because the bags would have been untouched in the stores or in shipping. Another friend is putting that stuff into washable containers. But we don’t have enough of those.

Anyway, as crazy as all this decontaminating is beginning to make me feel, I figure I would feel crazier if we did not do it.

Sincerely,
Call-Me-Crazy-and-I-Don’t-Care Boomer

PS: All this talk around here about Howard Hughes reminded me about the movie "The Aviator" so Mr. B. and I watched it a few nights ago. It's a long one, but what a fascinating character Hughes sure was. (Lots and lots of airplanes in it, too.)

All VERY sound advice during a time when NOONE knows what is a risk. I would add, be careful about your MAIL (which is handled by many different folks out there on the front lines all day long), and if possible leave it in the garage to "heat up" for several days; ensure that you do NOT bring contaminated packages (Amazon, delivery food, etc) INTO your home but if you MUST, place it ON YOUR STOVE vs counter tops (so you only have ONE non prep area to be concerned about) and IF you order/pick up prepared food from ANYWHERE, place it from the wrappings/box it came in onto your own plate/container and nuke it in the microwave before consumption just to ensure no transfer. ALSO, ANY door handle, try to use the very top or bottom of vs the "common grab area" that most folks resort to. IF there is a handicap button option for entrance, USE IT using your ELBOW vs hand...and also any buttons/doorbells you might have to touch in public (elevator, etc) use your KNUCKLE vs your fingertips to push. Stay safe everyone!
Old 04-05-2020, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

I hadn't realized I was disinfecting my mail/packages by only bothering to go to the mail station every three weeks or so but ... silver linings!

I wear gloves to the mail station now and put any boxes in the back of my SUV instead of on the front passenger seat. Dispose of my gloves at the mail station and disinfect my steering wheel, door handles, shift knob, etc. again when I get home.

I like the tip about putting packages on the stove to open!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

very wise move if you have someone working in healthcare now

leaving the shoes in the garage is perhaps something that we all should do....especially if you have a pet that likes to jump up on you or is allowed on the furniture

I've started leaving non-perishable foodstuff in the garage for a few days...the virus only lives on cardboard for 24 hours, plastic perhaps 3 days...canned goods less. everything else gets washed

I am asking for paper bags at WD or Publix
Old 04-06-2020, 07:42 AM

Except for perishables, everything, including mail, lives in the garage for at least 72 hrs before being further handled.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:28 AM

Yes, we do all the de-con procedures set up in our garage ditching the cardboard and letting it sit. We spray down everything that comes into the house with our bleach solution.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:33 AM
Platinum member

Isn’t this all a bit extreme except for health care providers or someone in poor health?
Old 04-06-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Isn’t this all a bit extreme except for health care providers or someone in poor health?
Think about the penalty...you contract the virus.....you leave home for medical "incarceration"....you do not get to see your family again...you hope and pray you do not deteriorate to needing a ventilator (50% or less survival rate)...etc.....

No thanx.....I choose just in case prevention, extreme and or otherwise.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
You do what's right for your family. The rest of us will do what we feel is right for ours.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Think about the penalty...you contract the virus.....you leave home for medical "incarceration"....you do not get to see your family again...you hope and pray you do not deteriorate to needing a ventilator (50% or less survival rate)...etc.....

No thanx.....I choose just in case prevention, extreme and or otherwise.
Easier to stay home and not worry about the box of Cheerios.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
You do what's right for your family. The rest of us will do what we feel is right for ours.
I just stay home and then I don’t have to worry about any of it but I would never go to the extremes I’m reading. Whatever gets you through the night.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I just stay home and then I don’t have to worry about any of it but I would never go to the extremes I’m reading. Whatever gets you through the night.
My security measures became more intense after I watched the MSNBC special last night called "The Red Zone" showing people in extremis in hospitals in Italy. Did anyone else see that? I thought I "knew" what was going on. I was so heartbroken when I saw so many people so terribly sick on ventilators and taken care of by ……...what are the words for the dedication and the risk our front line health care people are doing???? I am overwhelmed with their goodness. Thank God for them.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
My security measures became more intense after I watched the MSNBC special last night called "The Red Zone" showing people in extremis in hospitals in Italy. Did anyone else see that? I thought I "knew" what was going on. I was so heartbroken when I saw so many people so terribly sick on ventilators and taken care of by ……...what are the words for the dedication and the risk our front line health care people are doing???? I am overwhelmed with their goodness. Thank God for them.
My niece lives in Italy and when the initial stay at home order came down, they pretty much ignored it. Figured out shopping daily and stopping at friends houses along the way wouldn’t hurt. When more and more died, the authorities clamped down with high fines and people finally listened.

Italy has a huge population of octogenarians (good for them) but they’re hard headed (teste dure) and think they’re impervious and rules don’t apply to them. Couple that with socialized medicine where medical care is hard to come by and there is no surprise the death rate is so high.

Thank goodness the great majority of Americans get the social distancing and stay home orders plus better medical care in general.
Closed Thread

Tags
dawn, hughes, thread, bags, feel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.